[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Vintage Trader Vic's drink menu question
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Vintage Trader Vic's drink menu question
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 01:17 am   Permalink

Those four posters are also on the lounge wall of the Emeryville location. They were added during the 2010 remodel. Next time I'm there I'll take a close-up, assuming no one beats me to it and it doesn't interfere with the other guests.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 02:53 am   Permalink

Thank You. When there, also see if this original rendering is still around, and record the artist's signature...

Quote:

On 2013-09-18 22:06, Trad'r Bill wrote:
The original artwork for this menu used to hang at the Emeryville location:

...as it is not on the menu cover:

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-09-22 11:41 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 10:38 am   Permalink

I think that menu art is not currently on display at Emeryville. The most likely place would be in "The Trader's Office" where the walls are filled with memorabilia and a few old menus. I just happened to be there last Wednesday at closing and took my time viewing all those items and didn't find it there. I'm sure it isn't in the lounge or dining rooms either. Perhaps it's considered to be in bad taste by today's standards (at least that's what my wife tells me!). Thank goodness the Leeteg's are still on display in the lounge!

The classic London menu graphic that I mentioned previously in this thread, the one with the two bare breasted wahinis that has been used in other Trader Vic locations, has been censored in some western locations. Bikini tops were scribbled on the menus after the fact over the breasts. When reprinted the new graphics include the tops in the artwork.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 11:39 am   Permalink

I thought we were past that "nudity = bad taste" p.c. period, comme ca:

See if you can catch a "forbidden glimpse" of the piece...

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-09-22 11:40 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 2:35 pm   Permalink

I think it's more likely due to that antiquated late 60's/early 70's Women's Liberation notion of women not wanting to be treated as "sex objects". By the way, if we must accept modified menu cover graphics I like the tasteful lei modification much better than the unauthentic bikini top scribble!

[ This Message was edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-09-22 14:39 ]

thomamas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-23 5:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-18 01:44, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
That last menu cover was also used at Trader Vic's Palo Alto. I was told by someone definitely "in the know" that the graphics for that menu were copyrighted by Trader Vic's in London (opened April 22, 1963) and Palo Alto had to get permission from London to use the graphic.

If you mean the painting of the sailor on the barrel with two topless girls (the second image I posted), I'm sure it was used in the US before 1963.

Here's a
signed San Francisco/Oakland menu from 1956, and the menu I posted was than that.

Any more details on the London copyright?

View Profile of thomamas Send a personal message to thomamas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-23 10:22 pm   Permalink

All of these have a copyright from 1947 on the back. One just has to look. It's the design most used, and the one re-introduced after Tiki fell out of favor. I have it among the several Trader Vic's menus lined up chronologically in the Book of Tiki to demonstrate the evolution from the Pre-Tiki to the Tiki period. I never paid attention to the menu that is in question at the beginning of this thread because as I mentioned earlier, it always looked like a "retro" design to me.

TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-24 12:22 am   Permalink

I thought the 1947 copyright on the back was for the Trader's "Ode to Rum" on the back cover. I agree that the cover graphic predates London's opening (thanks for the link to the auction) but I'm sure there is something to the London copyright story. I was told by a 34 year Trader Vic veteran, who during that time managed several of their highest profile locations, that when he had that menu reprinted for Palo Alto he had to get permission from the London Trader Vic's because they had the copyright. In fact I recall he said he even had to get them printed in London for the Palo Alto location!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-24 3:06 pm   Permalink

The place that ends up with the copyright for a concept is not the guarantee for its origin. The copyright for the Don The Beachcomber name was held by the Palm Springs location, for example.

William F M Kay was an American illustrator for Trader Vic's books in the 1940s - not in London in the 60s.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation