FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » How many published Zombie recipes are there? List on page 1
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
How many published Zombie recipes are there? List on page 1
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-20 8:56 pm   Permalink

Esquire Drink Book 1956

Zombie
2/3 jigger Jamaica rum 90 proof
1 1/3 jiggers dark rum 86 proof
2/3 jigger light rum 86 proof
2/3 jigger pineapple juice
2/3 jigger papaya juice if available
juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon powdered sugar
float on top Demerara 151 proof
They suggest sprinkling the white sugar at the end on top of the drink lightly.

There are two other versions in the book one is called Zombie A La No 1 Boy and the other is called Zombie A La Puerto Rico.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-20 10:12 pm   Permalink

Zombie
From Tiburon Tommie's Mai Tai, Tiburon, Calif., circa 1990
*½ oz Lemon Juice
*¼ oz Lime Juice
*4 oz Hawaiian Punch
*½ oz Orange Curaçao
*1 oz Light Rum
*1 oz Gold Rum
*1 oz Dark Rum

Blend ingredients with crushed ice for five seconds on high and pour into a large glass or tiki mug. Garnish with a mint sprig.

Zombie
From The Tahitian Room of the Waldorf Hotel, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, 1950s
*½ oz Light Puerto Rican Rum
*½ oz Gold Puerto Rican Rum
*½ oz Dark Jamaican Rum
*½ oz Demerara Rum
*½ oz Barbados Rum
*2 oz Pineapple Juice
*1 oz Lemon Juice
*½ oz Grenadine
*Orange Curacao (float)

Blend all ingredients, except Curacao, with crushed ice in a blender and pour into a tall glass. Float Curacao. Garnish with a mint sprig and pineapple wedge.

Zombie
From Skipper Kent's, San Francisco, Calif., circa 1950s
*2 oz Light Rum
*1 oz Dark Rum
*1 oz Orange Juice
*1 oz Lemon Juice
*½ oz Grenadine

Blend ingredients with ice. Pour into a frosted chimney glass. Garnish with a parasol and a straw. A later revision of this cocktail replaced the grenadine with two dashes of Hawaiian Punch.

Zombie
From the Mandarin House, San Diego, Calif.
*2 oz Dark Jamaican Rum
*1 oz Gold Puerto Rican Rum
*3 oz House Mix *

Pour ingredients into a cocktail shaker with crushed ice. Shake well and pour contents into a tiki mug. Garnish with pineapple wedge and cocktail cherry.

*House Mix: 1 part orange juice, 1 part pineapple juice, 1 part lemon juice, 1 part grenadine

Asian Zombie
From the Far Bar, Little Tokyo, Los Angeles, Calif., 2012
*1 oz Light Puerto Rican Rum
*1 oz Dark Jamaican Rum
*1 oz 151-proof Puerto Rican Rum
*½ oz Blue Curaçao
*2 oz Pineapple Juice
*¾ oz Lemon Juice
*¾ oz Simple Syrup

Shake ingredients with crushed ice in a cocktail shaker. Pour into a tall glass and garnish with a lemon slice and a cocktail cherry.

Atomic Zombie
From Atomicgrog.com, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., 2011
*½ oz Lime Juice
*½ oz Lemon Juice
*½ oz Light Nicaraguan Rum
*½ oz Gold Guatemalan Rum
*¾ oz Dark Jamaican Rum
*¾ oz 151-proof Demerara Rum
*½ oz Elderflower Water
*⅛ oz Falernum
*¼ oz Demerara Sugar Syrup
*¼ oz Don’s Mix
*2 dashes Peychaud Bitters
*Absinthe
*Demerara Sugar
*Large Mint Sprig

Moisten rim of chilled glass with a lime wedge and dip in ground Demerara sugar. Coat inside of glass with absinthe. Place mint in shaker and gently muddle for 15 to 20 seconds, coating bottom and sides of shaker with oils from mint. Add rums and gently muddle for another 15 to 20 seconds. Add remaining ingredients to shaker. Add 1 cup of cubed ice and shake vigorously for 15 to 20 seconds. Strain drink into glass.

Zombie
From the Luau Room of the Hotel del Coronado, Coronado, Calif., circa 1950s.
*2 oz Passion Fruit Juice
*1 oz Lemon Juice
*2 dashes Orgeat Syrup
*1½ oz Boston Rum
*¾ oz Gold Puerto Rican Rum
*¾ oz Martinique Rum
*1 dash 151-proof Demerara Rum
*1 dash Pernod

Shake everything – except 151-proof Demerara Rum – with ice cubes. Pour into tall glass. Float Demerara 151-proof on top of drink. Garnish with ½ slice pineapple, orange slice, cocktail cherry, pineapple leaf and mint sprig.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-20 11:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-20 07:52, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-08-19 18:33, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
Does anybody here have a copy (or reproduction) of Patrick Gavin Duffy's 1934 Mixer's Manual?

I have a copy of The Official Mixer's Manual, by Patrick Gavin Duffy. It is apparently a 1940 reprint of the 1934 edition...
...I suspect the Zombie was inserted for the 1940 printing, because it differs in style from the other recipes...

I confirmed my suspicion. The Zombie recipe was NOT in Duffy's original 1934 version. I found a Google image of that same page (209) from the 1934 edition. After the 'Sunshine Cocktail', there was just empty space. The Zombie was added in the empty space, beginning with the 1940 edition.
page 209, 1934 and 1940 versions

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 03:35 am   Permalink

Thanks for confirming that. It was my assumption as well that Duffy would not have been so on the ball as to have had a Zombie recipe in 1934 if that was the very year Donn invented it.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 07:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

I have an 1980 edition of David A. Embury's Mixing Drinks (originally The Art of Mixing Drinks) but I'm not sure if the Zombie appeared in either the 1948 or 1953 editions. He actually has an interesting, if a little controversial, write up on the Zombie:

That's in the original 1948 version, according to someone who has it. Amusing, although a bit overblown.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 07:45 am   Permalink

I'll vouch for the Duffy version (as reprinted in the 1st ed of Grog Log). It may be way off from the original, but it will zombify you nonetheless. Also introduced me to the wonders of Applejack; gotta love that!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 08:13 am   Permalink

I'm guessing this was one of AdOrAdam's first references: http://wiki.webtender.com/wiki/Zombie
It gives a pretty good picture of some of the earliest publications referencing this recipe, although it looks like they got the date wrong on Duffy. Even still, would Duffy's 1940 edition be the earliest appearance of a zombie recipe in a bartender's guide? I'm guessing that 1938 Winnipeg Free Press reference was from a newspaper and the next appearance so far is 1941. My guess is that Duffy's was the first in print to include a fruit brandy (apple brandy, which seems to have translated into apricot-flavored brandy from there) and pineapple and papaya juices, which certainly became common in printed recipes thereafter. However, I assume this recipe was based on widespread imitations that would have been popping up all over in the mid-to-late 30s, especially after the 1938 World's Fair. I wonder how much influence these imitations had on Donn's amended 1950s recipe, or was it just that he felt tastes had changed? This discussion seems familiar and is probably already summed up in another thread. Let's keep on track here! Any clues on how some of the other big temples were doing their zombies back in the day?

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 10:44 am   Permalink

BTW, readers of this thread may wish to dip back into this earlier Zombie Recipe discussion. It begins before, and continues after, Berry acquired the loose-leaf pocket drink notebook of Dick Santiago, who worked at Don's between 1937-53, with its Zombie Punch recipe.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=3892&forum=10&start=0
I've updated it with my discovery that the Zombie recipe was NOT in the initial 1934 edition of Duffy's The Official Mixer's Manual, since that was also a controversy within that thread.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2013-08-21 12:15 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-21 3:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-19 15:41, TikiTacky wrote:
That's quite the endeavor! I'll be curious to see what contributions you get... TC has been around for a long time and I'm sure for most if the old timers it seems like lots of topics have been discussed to death. I, for one, appreciate your enthusiasm!

Sadly, I have nothing to contribute

Cheers TikiTacky, much appreciated comment for a 1st poster. I second the motion: Tiki Central needs a 'I, for one, appreciate your enthusiasm! Sadly, I have nothing to contribute' button

Quote:

On 2013-08-21 08:13, Brandomoai wrote:
I'm guessing this was one of AdOrAdam's first references: http://wiki.webtender.com/wiki/Zombie

Not even that! My first recipe was this miscellaneous one:
http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink624.html

I subbed the overproof rum & brought apricot brandy specially for the occasion... I was severally disappointed! In fairness, I knew how to make cocktails back then but tiki requires a bit more 'something' I have more of now. I didnt try another Zombie til I got Sippin Safari about a year ago.

Quote:

On 2013-08-21 10:44, Limbo Lizard wrote:
BTW, readers of this thread may wish to dip back into this earlier Zombie Recipe discussion... http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=3892&forum=10&start=0

BBCode Quote End -->

I read that post before creating this thread - cheers to you Mr Limbo Lizard Note the post by Alnshely on page one - pretty much the 1934 Zombie isnt it? Considering it was posted in 2003, four years before Sippin Safari was posted...

We're up to 32 recipes now (chronologically ordered on page 1)

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation