[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Witco? More like "...."
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Witco? More like "...."
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-20 1:32 pm   Permalink

I'll probably get empty LH 151 bottles thrown at my head for saying this, but I just don't understand Witco. I realize there's a level of tackiness that accompanies so much of the poly-pop lifestyle, but Witco seems to go beyond tacky to just pure ugly. For me, anyway.

Do people like it because it's so ugly, or is there an aesthetic to it I'm not appreciating? I'm honestly curious whether people simply like it for the level of tackiness, or see real beauty there that I'm missing? Please help me understand! No sarcasm, I'm genuinely curious.
T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-20 1:45 pm   Permalink

Have you read the Book of Tiki?

Witco was popularized by Elvis with his Jungle Room.

I do agree that it looks tacky for the most part. But I have seen some items that I like.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-20 2:42 pm   Permalink

Sven is probably the best person to answer this question, and I believe he has several times. In fact, he wrote a book about it.

At its best, Witco was the pure embodiment of the essence of mid-century Tiki/Exotica. It was bombast, wild, cartoonish, uninhibited escapism.

Can you imagine walking into JC Penny's today, and browsing a mammoth chainsaw-carved home bar, complete with 3-foot tikis on either end, leopard-skin tikis to sit on, and a matching 7-foot tall carved idol that spits water?? In the sixties you could.

Witco was all about creating an environment. For lots of us the effect still works perfectly.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-20 3:24 pm   Permalink

Well, the question - when it arises - is really only answered by my book "Tiki Modern". If you REALLY want to know, get the book, and read it, too. And then tell me again you still think Witco is just ugly.

Witco to me is about the Picasso quote I open the "Book of Tiki" with (and that never gets mentioned):

“Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.”

Having "good taste" is boring. Good taste does not move anything, it doesn't get a reaction. Just like Hawaiiana, it is a quaint consensus reality that keeps you put, and puts you to sleep. Bad taste gets people riled up, they have a reaction, and in the best case, it opens their minds.

In the case of Witco I hope I demonstrated that behind the ugliest piece of burnt swamp cedar you find in the thrift store, there might be a creative genius whose artistic sensitivity reflected the spirit of whimsy and escapism of a certain time period in America in a unique and singular way - beyond the restrictions of the general consensus of what constitutes "good taste".

But there will always be truth in another saying: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-20 3:29 pm   Permalink

Hey, it's all about personal taste. The point that can't be argued is Witco's place in the rich history of Tiki style. An understanding and appreciation of that may lead to liking the look of Witco on a personal level. Or it may not. Of course, a lot of Tiki style is considered pretty tacky to the uninitiated. TikiTacky, you've been around for a while now so I'm not going to accuse you of being uninitiated, but what kind of decor do you prefer over Witco? Sure, there's something to be said for more authentic-looking artifacts but Witco just fits in so well with the perfect blend of primitive and modern! If you really don't like it, and the BOT and Tiki Modern can't change your mind, I don't think anyone will!

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-08-20 3:45 pm   Permalink

If I'm understanding correctly, there seems to be an agreement that it is rather ugly, but its ugliness is an integral part of its charm—the embodiment of "tacky." Am I getting this correctly?

I appreciate everyone's input!

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-20 3:59 pm   Permalink

No. You're not.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-20 4:14 pm   Permalink

I saw a post on TC a while ago that said something like 'I saw this item, thought it was ugly & nearly passed it by, thought it might be Witco, brought it, it was, am so pleased to have found it'

This kind of sums Witco up to me - desirable as a tiki collectable even if it's ugly!

Ive not read Book of Tiki yet, most of the Witco I have seen is from TC & tiki bar pictures.

Would I like one of the 60s looking wooden framed pieces at a reasonable price? (eg. the 'world', the 'hillside of moai' or one of the 'ships') Ooh, yes please...

Would I like a Llama bar with leopard skin trim? No, no thank you, not at half that price

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-08-20 4:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-20 15:59, The Granite Tiki wrote:
No. You're not.

lunavideogames: "it looks tacky for the most part."

bigbrotiki: "the ugliest piece of burnt swamp cedar" "beyond the restrictions of the general consensus of what constitutes 'good taste'. "

Brandomoai: "a lot of Tiki style is considered pretty tacky to the uninitiated"

Adoradam: "desirable as a tiki collectable even if it's ugly!"

The only one who didn't use the terms tacky or ugly was happybuddha. What am I misunderstanding in assessing that most people are saying it's the ugliness and tackiness of it that gives it it's charm? Those are literally the words people are using!

lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-20 5:06 pm   Permalink

Bigbro can explain it better than me, so I gave a short and quick response and I used the term "tacky" as a pun to your name.

I do like some Witco, don't get me wrong. I think AdOrAdam summed it up best as far as my view...

Quote:

On 2013-08-20 16:14, AdOrAdam wrote:
Would I like one of the 60s looking wooden framed pieces at a reasonable price? (eg. the 'world', the 'hillside of moai' or one of the 'ships') Ooh, yes please...

Would I like a Llama bar with leopard skin trim? No, no thank you, not at half that price

Some Witco is really cool, but I think everyone will agree that some is just ugly. That doesn't mean it is all ugly though.

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2013-08-20 17:08 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-20 5:10 pm   Permalink

Well again it's in the eye of the beholder. Witco definitely made some ugly stuff, particularly the conquistador line that's hard to defend. But I wouldn't seek out any of that. The previous poster liked the Outrigger & world map, but didn't like stuff like jungle tikis & llama bars, which is the stuff that intrigues me the most.

In short, the pieces I like, I don't find ugly at all. I think they're genius & quite beautiful.

But then, I'd take most of the Witco catalog over 98% of the newer, 'tiki revival' art.. To each his/her own I guess.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-08-20 5:26 pm   Permalink

Some of the things I like are tacky. Heck, it's right in my name. So don't get the idea that I'm judging you—well, maybe SOME of you —I just wasn't sure what the appeal was and was honestly trying to see what I was missing. The fact that even people who profess to like Witco are telling me that hey think some of it's ugly lets me know that I wasn't necessarily missing anything, it's just an appreciation I haven't acquired yet. Give it time!

TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-08-20 5:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-20 17:06, lunavideogames wrote:
Some Witco is really cool, but I think everyone will agree that some is just ugly. That doesn't mean it is all ugly though.

Yeah, but I bet in a room full of Tikiphiles they'll all disagree on which pieces are ugly.

TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-08-20 6:17 pm   Permalink

And, in a case of terminal irony, I just saw the Witco collection someone posted for sale and actually kind of liked it. Sorry for the false alarm people. Get back to your Mai Tais!

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-20 9:34 pm   Permalink

I was given a witco witchdoctor some years back. Wasn't too impressed at first but no way could I even think about ever parting with it.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation