FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Looking for drink recommendations
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Looking for drink recommendations
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-20 11:33 pm   Permalink

I'm overwhelmed by all the choices in Beachbum's books and as much as I love a Mai Tai, I'm looking for some variety. What are your three favorite tiki drinks?

(This has been asked before in various forms over the years, but new and modified recipes have come to light since then, and I felt one suggestion was too few and ten was too many.)

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Canned Tuna

Posted: 2013-08-21 06:49 am   Permalink

I made this last night, both wife and I loved it.

2 oz silver rum
1 oz orange curacao
1/4 oz fallernum
2 oz grapefruit juice
1/2 oz Don's Mix
2 oz lemon mix

Shake with ice, add sprig of mint.

[ This Message was edited by: Canned Tuna 2013-08-21 06:50 ]

View Profile of Canned Tuna Send a personal message to Canned Tuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2013-08-21 08:27 am   Permalink

My 3 favorite drinks are Ray's Mistake, Jet Pilot and Lapu Lapu. I also like the Piranha Pool, a slushy drink you can get at Trader Sam's.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 09:07 am   Permalink

The heaviest rotation at the Hideaway are below, edited for uniqueness:

Jasper's Jamaican - but cut the lime in half.
Derby Daiquiri - Only if you fresh squeeze the OJ
Jet Pilot
Swanky Swizzle, which based on the 2070 Swizzle which is based on the 151 Swizzle.
Nui Nui

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 09:26 am   Permalink

You might try some variation of a Planter's Punch. And a Daiquiri is always good -- and easy.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 09:32 am   Permalink

The holiest of trinities:

Mai Tai
Navy Grog
Zombie

Can never go wrong. I've also been having Hurricane Heyward's recipe for the Black Magic. Mighty tasty.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fervent Shaker

Posted: 2013-08-21 10:19 am   Permalink

I recently wrote up a post including some TIKI style cocktails. They may help you decide on ones to try out! Or at least give you ideas for making your own up!

http://theferventshaker.wordpress.com/2013/08/12/the-shark-that-walked-like-a-man/

View Profile of Fervent Shaker Send a personal message to Fervent Shaker  Goto the website of Fervent Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 12:15 pm   Permalink

In regular rotation at home from Beachbum Books:

Mai Tai
Jet Pilot
Boo Loo
Donga Punch
Zombie
Remsberg Swizzle
various Navy Grogs
Barrel O Rum
Don's Special Daiquiri
Hurricane
Coconaut

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blueeyedtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-21 1:06 pm   Permalink

I've been doing Mai Tai's and Derby Daiquiri's lately. But I agree with previous poster, only fresh squeezed orange juice.

View Profile of blueeyedtiki Send a personal message to blueeyedtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2013-08-21 1:38 pm   Permalink

Im pretty sure TikiTacky has had a few drinks before but Im going to assume he has very little in his booze cabinet

I try & be a bit smart when I recommend drinks to people so that they have all the ingredients make lots of other drinks. With that in mind, I recommend probably my actual favourites & explain a little bit how making them will be to his advantage:

No 1) Navy Grog
No 2) Three Dots & a Dash
No 3) Coconaut

For those first two you'll need a gold puerto rican rum, a gold jamaican rum, a gold demerara rum, a gold rhum agricole, grapefruit, limes, orange, honey, bitters, pimento dram & falernum.

If you use a dark demerara rum instead of a gold demerara rum for Three Dots, it'll really it perk up IMO & you'll have another rum to try in different situations.

I could have picked a complicated drink as number 3 to bump up the ingredients but Coconaut a more recent invention that is just damn tasty Why did no-one think of it earlier!?! Also if you get a dark Jamaican rum you have a little more versatility over just a gold Jamaican rum.

If I was to recommend a fourth, fifth & sixth drink for people to make, it'd be a Test Pilot, Dons Special Diaquiri & Missionarys Downfall. All are great & the extra ingredients required (pernod, cinnamon syrup, passion fruit syrup, a good white mixing rum) mean you can make almost any drink I can think of

Someone will point out Ive missed something but that's a hell of a lot of potential drinks!

[ This Message was edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-08-21 13:45 ]

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 2:18 pm   Permalink

my 3 personal favorite "tiki drinks" are:

1. the Yeoman's Grog (which is basically a combination of the Trader Vics' and the Donn the Beachcomber versions of navy grogs)

2. the Noa Noa (which is basically a Queen's Park Swizzle); and

3. the Kama'Aina.

But, to me the 5 most "famous" tiki drinks are the MaiTai, the Scorpion Bowl, the Fogcutter, the Zombie, and the Navy Grog.

the Zombie or Navy Grog would be fun drinks for you to tackle next, given the interesting histories and competing recipe variations for each of these two drinks.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-08-21 3:32 pm   Permalink

Looks like the Navy Grog is a winner for sure. I'll look through and try and rank the others based on votes.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 9:54 pm   Permalink

Bum Barrel (similar to a rum barrel but no blender)
Pearl Diver (has heavy cream so you cant drink a ton, does use a blender, I would recommend making a double on this, it is a bit of work but oh so good, and cut the heavy cream in half, if you are using heavy whipping cream)

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LeChuck
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-22 12:46 am   Permalink

Only three? That's too hard...

1) Zombie (1934 version)
2) Missionary's Downfall (remixed version)
3) 151 Swizzle (Hurricane Hayward's tribute recipe)
4) Coconaut
5) Luau Scorpion
6) Nui Nui
7) The Dead Reckoning
Navy Grog with pimento liqueur (Yeoman’s Grog)
9) Captain's Grog
10) Puka Punch

[ This Message was edited by: LeChuck 2013-08-22 00:51 ]

View Profile of LeChuck Send a personal message to LeChuck      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fervent Shaker

Posted: 2013-08-22 04:09 am   Permalink

It comes to my attention i forgot to actually post a recipe in my last comment... My bad!
I think my favoruite style Tiki cocktails are Mai-Tai style drinks.
The mixture of the 3 rum types along with pineapple and citrus juice just taste heavenly to me.

My favourite at the moment is:
1 1/2 measure dark rum
3/4 measure light rum
1/2 measure Grand Marnier
1/2 measure simple syrup
1 lemon, juiced
1 lime, juiced
1 orange, juiced
8 measures pineapple juice
1/2 teaspoon grenadine

Hope that one helps you out a bit

View Profile of Fervent Shaker Send a personal message to Fervent Shaker  Goto the website of Fervent Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation