[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Mai Tai Concentrate
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Mai Tai Concentrate
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 1:02 pm   Permalink

Vic's has it for sale at the moment. Anybody ever try it? If it's half as good as the Navy Grog concentrate, I'm already sold..

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 1:07 pm   Permalink

I believe it takes the place of the orgeat, rock candy syrup and orange curacao. So I guess it might be an okay shortcut... But doing it from scratch isn't much harder.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skeeter
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-21 7:51 pm   Permalink

I was going to order some today, but what's the deal with the $25 shipping charge??

View Profile of skeeter Send a personal message to skeeter  Goto the website of skeeter     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 9:47 pm   Permalink

You just use rum and the concentrate, which is how they make it in the restaurant if you don't order it "Old Way"

I am not 100% sure if you add lime to it or not when doing it with the mix

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 07:41 am   Permalink

If it does include the "lime" than I bet it's kinda nasty. And chemically.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 10:05 am   Permalink

They emphasize (on Facebook) that it's made with cane sugar - a move back in the right direction!

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2013-08-22 10:09 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Primativa in Hi-Fi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-22 10:29 am   Permalink

It's god awful.

View Profile of Primativa in Hi-Fi Send a personal message to Primativa in Hi-Fi  Email Primativa in Hi-Fi Goto the website of Primativa in Hi-Fi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 10:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-21 19:51, skeeter wrote:
I was going to order some today, but what's the deal with the $25 shipping charge??

Their shipping has been very expensive and inefficient, for years. A story, to illustrate:
I used to order Orgeat (during a time when all brands had disappeared from all local stores) and Javanese Dressing. I tried to order several things, to average the shipping cost-per-item down, but it still about doubled the price. You used to have to call to order (Gail Barber - funny I remember her name), and they'd call back with a quote, after they figured out the shipping. Once, I was told my order of 4 Orgeat, 6 Javanese and a tub of HBR Batter would require 3 boxes, at quite a huge cost. I asked if they couldn't do it for less, so she talked to shipping again, and they thought they could get it down to 2 boxes. I reluctantly agreed and took the hit.
So, when the 2 boxes arrived, one was a box with dividers to fit 12 750 ml bottles, and my 10 bottles were in it, with plenty of room to spare - especially since the 6 dressing bottles were so short. Then, alone in the second box was the little plastic tub of batter! And they started out thinking they'd need THREE boxes?!

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DavidAfshar

Posted: 2013-08-22 11:02 am   Permalink

Just ordered some. You can easily make a great Mai Tai without it using curacao, rock candy syrup, etc. But the first true Mai Tai I ever had was at the now-defunct Trader Vic's Dallas, and since I didn't know to order it "the old way," what I got was rum and concentrate. As a result, I'm a bit nostalgic for that taste, though a hand-crafted Mai Tai is tastier and more authentic.

Also, unless they've changed the formula (which would defeat my whole reason for buying some, so I hope they haven't), the lime is not included in the concentrate.

View Profile of DavidAfshar Send a personal message to DavidAfshar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 12:26 pm   Permalink

I was tempted to get some, just to experiment with. But it's a little pricey if it turns out I don't like it.

djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 12:36 pm   Permalink

What the hell, I ordered some.

I wanted some other things, and the concentrate didn't bump up the shipping.

GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-22 5:23 pm   Permalink

As unimpressed as I was with the "Grog" concentrate . . . I think I'll pass. A regular Mai Tai from scratch isn't at all difficult.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 7:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-22 17:23, GentleHangman wrote:
As unimpressed as I was with the "Grog" concentrate . . . I think I'll pass. A regular Mai Tai from scratch isn't at all difficult.

Unless I can get fresh Marsh Grapefruit (super rare in AZ) I cannot get a homemade Navy Grog to really sing like the concentrate they use at TV - bottled ocean spray just misses something

Wish it was the grog on sale not the mai tai - but I agree the mai tai is easy enough to make and better tasting by putting the components together

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-24 07:15 am   Permalink

Regarding white grapefruit: I have the same problem here; I can only get it in large containers (Ocean Spray, etc.) and it goes off before I can use it up. Amazon to the rescue! I order 48 5.5oz cans of Ocean Spray 100% white grapefruit juice for about $34. with free shipping. That's about 71 cents a can. I've been doing it this way for a couple of years now and it works well for me.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-24 07:23 am   Permalink

I had the same problem with the large bottles of Ocean Spray white grapefruit that I could never use up before it went bad. I finally got smart this summer and froze half of a new bottle to keep it fresh and that did the trick.

I have never seen little cans of Ocean Spray. We only get a crappy brand called Blue Bird (I think) that usually pours brown and oxidized and is pretty horrible.

There is maybe one month in the late fall where I can find fresh local white grapefruit. I pretty much live for that time.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation