FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Mai Tai Concentrate
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Mai Tai Concentrate
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-24 07:30 am   Permalink

How are the little cans of Ocean Spray? Are you satisfied with the taste?

Because that sounds like a great option.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-24 10:51 am   Permalink

Dapuma1, it sounds like GentleHangMan has a few bottles of Grog Concentrate that he could sell to you!

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tele295
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-24 2:24 pm   Permalink

I got a bottle of the Mai Tai concentrate at CostPlus. It was kinda chemically - nowhere near as good as the from-scratch Mai Tais I had in Kauai

View Profile of Tele295 Send a personal message to Tele295  Goto the website of Tele295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-24 3:07 pm   Permalink

hmm, I like the idea of the little cans, because after a few days the small amount of bottled tartness goes away and it is even less appealing

Do you think the AZ heat will damage the juice (i.e. should I wait until it drops below 100)

Yes if you are willing to sell a few bottles of the Grog Concentrate I would love to take them off your hands

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-24 3:47 pm   Permalink

The stuff they sell at CostPlus is a different animal. It's the regular retail version of the Mai Tai mix and it's putrid. The store under discussion is the Mai Tai concentrate, which is used by the TV restaurants and only occasionally offered to the public.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rixzantis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-24 4:18 pm   Permalink

Just received delivery on the concentrate.
Didn't come with a recipe!?!
Anyone know how to use this stuff?

View Profile of rixzantis Send a personal message to rixzantis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-24 5:17 pm   Permalink

An oz each lime, concentrate, lite & dk rum? Just a guess

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-24 6:20 pm   Permalink

The 5.5oz cans of Ocean Spray 100% white grapefruit juice are excellent! It's the exact same juice they have in their larger bottles but in an easier to use size. I get them from Amazon for around $34 for 48 cans. Shipping is free.
I keep them in my pantry room setting one or two cans in the fridge which I replace as they are used.
I hope this helps.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-26 07:04 am   Permalink

I ordered some of the grapefruit juice in the little cans from Amazon. Thanks for the tip!

Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-26 08:42 am   Permalink

Anything bought in a retail store (other than Trader Vic's) has been the dreaded "mix." The concentrate is basically a replacement for orgeat and orange curacao with some cane sugar. The explanation given to me by the long serving head bartender at the Atlanta Trader Vic's, Joel, is that while it does simplify making the drink, the main reason the concentrate was developed was to ensure the needed ingredients are available to TVs around the world. It gives them a higher degree of consistency. Their goal is to ensure that a Trader Vic's Mai Tai is the same no matter which Trader Vic's you go to around the world. Joel also added that he will make your Mai Tais from scratch all night long if you ask. It is no bother to him to add the extra two pours to make you a Mai Tai the old way.

Rixzantis, unless they've changed the label, the recommended recipe should be right there on the bottle. I'm uploading a photo of my bottle, in case they have.

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-26 10:12 am   Permalink

I like to make my own "Mai Tai Mix". I mix up a 12 oz, batch of orange curacao, orgeat and turbanado sugar syrup following the original proportions, and keep it in the fridge.
To make a Mai Tai I use 1 oz. of fresh lime, 1 oz of my "Mix", and two ounces of what ever rum combination I'm in the mood for. My favorite rums to use are: Appleton 12 year old and El DCorado 12 year old; Eldorado dark and Zaya; and Kohala Bay and El Dorado 12 year old. I enjoy making the original recipes for the Jet Pilot, 1934 Zombie, the Hukilau etc. but when I'm tired or lazy or tired and lazy. . . I just reach for my Mai Tai Mix and all is well with the world!

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-26 10:52 am   Permalink

It's a good idea. Laziness often overtakes me as well.

rixzantis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-26 6:32 pm   Permalink

Thanks Doctor Coruba!
The new bottles do not have the recipe on them.
Just doesn't seem like much liquid with that recipe.
I tried one last night:
1 oz. Lime
1/2 oz. concentrate
1-1/2 oz. Myers
1 oz. Smith & Cross
Lots of crushed ice.
Tasted good!

Maybe need to do some more experimentation.....
With most of the Beachbum's recipes, I cut back on the lime.
With this combo it was not too citrus-y

View Profile of rixzantis Send a personal message to rixzantis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-30 11:08 am   Permalink

For the record, the ingredients as listed are:

Cane sugar, Water, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Caramel Color, Potassium Sorbate

GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-30 5:14 pm   Permalink

It's that damn Potassium Sorbate . . . gets me every time!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation