[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Aloha and Mahalo, Walt Disney
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Aloha and Mahalo, Walt Disney
kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 3:31 pm   Permalink

Here is an interesting piece by Jeff Kurtti about Walt Disney and Hawaii.

http://blogs.disney.com/insider/articles/2012/07/16/the-wonderful-world-of-walt-aloha-and-mahalo/

It talks about Disney's visits to Hawaii, the last of which was in connection with the filming of "Lt. Robin Crusoe, USN" which I remember reading about in a recent issue of Tiki Magazine's "Tiki in Films" column.

*** Corrections ***
The column is actually called, "Tiki on Screen" and it's written by Ron Ferrell. The installment that features Lt. Robin Crusoe, USN appears in the Spring 2013 Tiki Magazine.

[ This Message was edited by: kenbo-jitsu 2013-08-29 09:55 ]

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 4:06 pm   Permalink

VERY interesting article, thanks for posting something "Disney" that relates to the Tiki context of this web site! Thortiki

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 02:43 am   Permalink

Thanks for sharing K-J, great find. Always had a feeling Hawaii and other Pacific Islands were special to Walt. There were other Disney films and Cartoons set in Hawaii and the South Seas plus Walt was nominated for an Oscar in 1956 for producing a short called SAMOA.

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-08-22 16:28 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 1:34 pm   Permalink

Super interesting artical. Thanks for sharing!

It's prompted me to finally post a frame of this 'camera-ready' comic strip that I've been hanging on to for years now...

Goofy tries to woo Minnie away from a very well dressed Mickey by carving a tiki for her. Comedy ensues.

Knowing that I was big into collecting tiki, a former associate of mine gave me this original hand pen and inked comic strip from 1963. Hand 'signed' by Walt with blue penciled notes made in the margins. The 'dots' to create tonal shading are transparent overlay "Ben-Day" dots, cuts and glued to the paper.

The whole 4 frame strip measures about 7"x19". It was used inorder to be photographed and shrunk down for the newspapers' cartoon section. I doubt that the 'Walt' signature was actually him, though I do like to think so...
I'll post more of the frames eventually.

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns 2013-08-22 13:43 ]

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-22 2:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-22 13:34, Luckydesigns wrote:
I'll post more of the frames eventually.

Really Spike, you're just going to leave us hanging?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 4:36 pm   Permalink

Great first frame of a valued procession, teaser! How do you spell the words of drooling? If I knew I'd write it now.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 11:17 am   Permalink

Frames two and three of the 1963 Micky Mouse tiki comic strip that I acquired! We left off with Goofy trying to steal Minnie by carving a tiki for her... Sooo... Goofy wraps up the tiki and dramatically presents it to her!

Does she like it or hate it? Does she leave Micky for Goofy?? Stay tooned... Haha... Get it? Tooned?? Good stuff, right there...

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 11:20 am   Permalink

Oh, also note the pencil comments made in the margins. The date and copyright info is a sperate piece of typed paper, glued on too.
Pretty interesting stuff to dissect (as least to me, as a professional graphic designer).

forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 1:35 pm   Permalink

Great article. Enjoyed reading this . We can certainly thank men like Walt for bringing Tiki and Polypop culture to the masses. Thats a cool comic strip Spike.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 12:07 am   Permalink

Love this! Thanks so much for posting it! Interesting read! The Disney-Tiki crossover fan club is huge (as also evidenced in this month's Tiki Magazine containing TWO Disney-Tiki stories), so your timing is perfect.

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-26 1:24 pm   Permalink

When we left off with the comic, Goofy had just carved a tiki to try and impress Minnie with it...
He wrapped it up, brought it to her, and WAM-O! He scares the daylights out of her!
That's what you get for trying to move in on Micky's chick (er, mouse)!!

The Walt Disney signature on this frame is the one that I keep wondering if it was actually signed by Walt. Kinda doubt it.

kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 11:33 am   Permalink

Luckydesigns, I don't mind you sidetracking the thread, but this is too much!

Quote:
On 2013-08-22 13:34, Luckydesigns wrote:
... Goofy tries to woo Minnie away from a very well dressed Mickey by carving a tiki for her.

I think you grossly misjudge the motivations of our dear friend, Mr. Goofy. Can he not simply do something nice for his friend Minnie without there being scandalous rumors?

Despite Minnie's reaction, I think the final product turned out quite well -- not the usual result of, well, pretty much anything Goofy undertakes. Note the old-school chisel work. But then Goofy with a chainsaw is a scary thought.

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 11:37 am   Permalink

Goofy and Minnie...that seems wrong on so many levels.

I think this is what their children would look like:

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 12:52 pm   Permalink

Seems like another case of a "Divorce Tiki" to me:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=31098&forum=1&vpost=430426

Great little find, Spike, I think the Tiki is rendered really cool. I may have to borrow this strip from you for my next project, if you'd let me.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 1:12 pm   Permalink

Sure, Sven. Just make sure you credit with 'From the collection of Spike Marble'. Hahaha...
Next time you're in the Costa Mesa area, you can come by and shoot it if you like. See the Breezeway too!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation