FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Video of Don the Beachcomber or Trader Vic?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Video of Don the Beachcomber or Trader Vic?
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-22 07:14 am   Permalink

Are there any videos out there with Donn Beach or Vic Bergeron? I understand Donn was in a few films as an extra, but I'd love to see a clip of either of them talking. I tried the Internet Archive with no luck.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-08-22 07:14 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 08:21 am   Permalink

I haven't found any audio or video interviews, but it appears that a 64 page transcript exists of two interviews of Donn Beach. As part of a Hawaii oral history project by the Watumull Foundation, Alice Sinesky interviewed Donn on Sept. 16 and Oct. 9, 1986. I wonder, has anyone explored this source for "new to us" information, ever? If not, perhaps someone on the ground in Oahu could see if they can get access. It may not be so much about him, as sharing his experiences and insights into Hawaiian society, itself, but who knows what incidental tidbits it might contain?
Here are links to the interview transcript in
The Hawaii State Archives and the Hamilton Library, U of H, Manoa.

[Update: PM'd Phillip Roberts, and found he was aware of this, but had not yet been able to gain access, before he recently left the islands. Perhaps someone with privileges or connections within the U of H system can look into this?]

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2013-08-22 19:35 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-22 09:46 am   Permalink

Phillip Roberts does have an audio recording of Donn Beach that he would play to people that took his Waikiki Walking Tiki Tour. It was just a few minutes long and he had a great story about how it came into his possession. He can explain it better than me.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 10:12 am   Permalink

I have access to the UH Hamilton Library so I'll try to get to it. Give me a week cause I have to undergo a medical procedure today.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-22 10:48 am   Permalink

Good luck, creativenative!

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Below Decks
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-22 1:09 pm   Permalink

He's not interviewed, but in "South Seas Adventure" in Cinerama, they film a big Tahitian dance number at Don the Beachcomber's in Hawaii, and if you watch closely, you can see Don the Beachcomber, playing the part of Don the Beachcomber, and wearing what you would hope to see him wearing.

View Profile of The Below Decks Send a personal message to The Below Decks  Goto the website of The Below Decks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 2:06 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Yes, I do have a recording of Donn Beach in 1958 talking about his Sunday "Feast of the Islands" luau. I got it from a huge reel of tape that was in the storage area of one of the radio stations in Hawaii. It's very cool and lasts 2 minutes. It will be included in the iBook and eBook versions of Waikiki Tiki: Art, History, and Photographs that is currently being worked on. I don't know when those will be done, but they will contain all sorts of bonus material...

Like to
hear some Mynah birds talk at the International Market Place? in 1958? Only :32 seconds and sadly not the one that says "Gimmie a beer stupid."

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-08-22 14:07 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 3:23 pm   Permalink

Can't wait Phillip!!!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 4:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks TikiTacky for your kind words. I tried the Library this morning BUT that section where the document is stored is closed for construction till next Monday when classes start. I'll try again next week.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 8:21 pm   Permalink

I was going to say, thanks, creativenative, for being our Hawaii-based "Tiki Sherlock Holmes". But maybe the more appropriate fictional metaphor would be "Tiki Charlie Chan",... since he was a Honolulu police detective.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 12:56 am   Permalink

My mission isn't over yet but you guys and/or gals can count on me. Creative Native the Detective (Ret 5-0)

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 09:21 am   Permalink

There is footage of Donn with Clark Gable, probably at Donn's home on The DVD of Tiki.

If you do not own this DVD, you MUST BUY IT NOW!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2013-08-23 09:22 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-27 5:10 pm   Permalink

Got the Donn Beach interview transcript. It wasn't easy. But using my charms and masterful persuasions I not only got it out of the vault but I also convinced them to break their own rule and they let me scan it all. I saved it to a pdf format. Now someone in TC help me figure out how to get this pdf onto this forum. Any suggestions anyone? I ran out of charms

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-08-27 23:04 ]

lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-27 5:59 pm   Permalink

Open it with Photoshop and change it to a jpeg?

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-28 12:30 am   Permalink

Donn Beach Interview 2 years before he died-SORRY just read the copyright warning. Better heed to it or they will kick me out of school. I just started today. I guess people should pm me for further information on this transcript.

Thank you for your understanding
Creative Native

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-08-28 02:59 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation