[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food "New" Lemon Hart 151
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
"New" Lemon Hart 151
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-26 5:31 pm   Permalink

Longboard, Beltramos will ship for free in California for orders over $250. Along with LH 151 they stock many other great and hard to find rums so I don't think it will be hard to reach the threshold!

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-26 5:44 pm   Permalink

B.T.W., I have nearly two cases of old label Lemon Hart 151 in my collection (and even one "old old label") and have done frequent taste tests with the new label. There is very little if any difference so mostly I use new label, saving the old label for special occasions. I don't think anyone can taste the difference in a mixed drink double blind test.

I also have 1/2 case of Lemon Hart 80 but usually sub 2/3 oz of new label 151 for the same reason.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-26 7:23 pm   Permalink

My palette isn't sophisticated enough to notice any difference. If you're in New England & having trouble finding LH151, Kappy's on Route 1, near Kowloon usually has it on the shelf.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-27 4:30 pm   Permalink

I added water to some new Lemon Hart 151 to bring it down to approximately 80 proof. I then compared it to Lemon Hart 80 and El Dorado 5 Year.

Briefly... The flavor profile of all three is similar. The watered-down LH151 was still the most fiery, the LH80 was middle of the road, and the ED80 was the easiest going. The ED had the best taste for me. I would probably used the modified LH151 in a cocktail because it had the strongest flavor and thus would hold up the best in a drink. Unless I wanted something subtler, in which case I'd use the LH80 or ED. The LH80 did not strike me as an essential rum to have on hand.

I don't think using any one of the three would give you substantially different results in a cocktail. Their common traits are much greater than their differences.

Added bonus: When I was done tasting, I poured the remains of all three into one glass. It was the best tasting of all. So maybe you should do that.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-30 04:23 am   Permalink

Lemon Hart isn't available here in Sweden but I managed to get my hands on a few bottles of their (old) 151 some years ago which I ordered from abroad. Tastes great in every drink I've tried it in, with the Kapu Kai being a favorite. El Dorado on the other hand is readily available here and I use both their cheap standard dark Demerara as well as the 8 years. However, I find the latter to easily get an undesired "whisky" flavor in some mixed drinks (similar to the case with some Martinique rums in Mai Tais), and therefore way prefer their standard for most mixed drinks.

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-30 07:07 am   Permalink

Klas, I appreciate your tasting notes, especially your comment about getting a "whisky" taste in some cases with Martinique rums. Changing rums in recipes is fun, and I have noticed different effects from person-to-person depending on individual palates and tastes.

I know Lemon Hart is available in Germany from
http://www.worldwidespirits.de in their shop and by mail. You might find some over-the-counter in better large-city liquor stores if you get down that way. It is worth looking for.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-01 03:20 am   Permalink

Thanks for the tip on that German store. I was in Berlin last year and looked especially for Lemon Hart but couldn't find any. Still have about one and a half bottle left though.

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation