FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Almond liqueur in a Mai Tai?
Almond liqueur in a Mai Tai?
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 10:57 am   Permalink

Has anyone tried using almond liqueur in a Mai Tai? My local liquor store is out of orgeat but they had this, so I'd like to give it a try.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 11:19 am   Permalink

Using Amaretto in a faux Mai Tai is a standard old school bartender trick and I have been served such incarnations on several occassions and some have actually been drinkable. The walk up bar outside of the old Adventurer's Club at WDW Pleasure Island did a Mai Tai with Amaretto that tickled some of the same taste buds as an orgeat Mai Tai, though their interpretation was a Hawaiian style with pineapple juice and maybe orange juice as well. It may be nostalgia more than anything but I miss that drink.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 12:36 pm   Permalink

I've had a few fruit juice mai tais with almond liqueur in (call it 'Hawaiian' style) & they were mostly good fun.

I use amaretto in fogg cutters in place of sherry (after comparison & not being bothered). In a T.Vic mai tai it's your call, give it a go

Sub away!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 1:17 pm   Permalink

I would say: if you can't get orgeat, a good Amaretto (I like Luxardo and DiSaronno) is better than nothing. But orgeat isn't that hard to make, if you can't find any.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation