advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Almond liqueur in a Mai Tai?
Almond liqueur in a Mai Tai?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 10:57 am   Permalink

Has anyone tried using almond liqueur in a Mai Tai? My local liquor store is out of orgeat but they had this, so I'd like to give it a try.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 11:19 am   Permalink

Using Amaretto in a faux Mai Tai is a standard old school bartender trick and I have been served such incarnations on several occassions and some have actually been drinkable. The walk up bar outside of the old Adventurer's Club at WDW Pleasure Island did a Mai Tai with Amaretto that tickled some of the same taste buds as an orgeat Mai Tai, though their interpretation was a Hawaiian style with pineapple juice and maybe orange juice as well. It may be nostalgia more than anything but I miss that drink.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-25 12:36 pm   Permalink

I've had a few fruit juice mai tais with almond liqueur in (call it 'Hawaiian' style) & they were mostly good fun.

I use amaretto in fogg cutters in place of sherry (after comparison & not being bothered). In a T.Vic mai tai it's your call, give it a go

Sub away!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 1:17 pm   Permalink

I would say: if you can't get orgeat, a good Amaretto (I like Luxardo and DiSaronno) is better than nothing. But orgeat isn't that hard to make, if you can't find any.
David J. Montgomery
Professor Cocktail

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation