[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Big Kahuna's Tiki Shack
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Big Kahuna's Tiki Shack
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-25 2:18 pm   Permalink

Aloha fellow tiki enthusiasts! I have embarked on building a modest little tiki bar in my garage or otherwise known as my guy lair. First a little history, I fixed up my garage with a pool table and a TV for my then teenage son for he and his buddies but he quickly outgrew it so I had to take over. First thing I did was to add bamboo fencing along all the walls and top it with a 1"x2" trim painted black. My saltwater reef aquarium soon was banished to the "Lair" so since it fit the theme, why not? Advance to now, I had always wanted my own little tiki hangout so I decided to search for the perfect place for it and staked out my guy lair as the perfect place. After designing how I wanted it to look, and extensive measuring, I found it would fit into the 3 car tandem garage and be the perfect addition to the lair.

I started out building the 2x4 frames for the shelf along the wall and the actual bar structure that would come out from the wall and form the L-shaped bar. I added the legs and attached it to the wall.

Now, before you say anything, I know I'm not the best carpenter, but I do well enough to get myself in trouble, , but it relieves the pressures of the day and I have fun doing it. So this won't be the best built bar in town but I think you will like it, it's a lot of fun. My plan is to cover the front with bamboo, have an A-frame roof and finish the bar top to look like a surfboard. We'll see how it turns out but I'm off to a good start. I want to be able to house my tiki mug collection, my hawaiian matchbook collection and my tropical swizzle stick collection and just have a cool place to hang with friends and family. I have actually already built a lot of this but I just decided to share it with the Tiki Central family, so here we go...hope you enjoy the journey! Mahalo!

View Profile of Aloha Daddy Send a personal message to Aloha Daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-25 3:56 pm   Permalink

Okay, next step was I built the frames for the roof. I wanted the classic A-frame look and envisioned hanging a glass fishing float with a light in the apex. I also built frames for the side wings. For the A-frame I started with a 1x8 so I could cut out a design on the end, a classic polynesian look cut out. I attached 1x2s for the laterals coming down from the main ledger and attached bamboo poles at the ends to hold them together.

The side frames are constructed much the same way with 1x2s and the bamboo poles.

You may ask why I am using such small lumber and the answer is I didn't want to overpower the structure with the size of the lumber. This will be a fairly small structure and it will not be supporting anything heavy so I want to keep it light. I hung it to see how it looks and fits together and then took it down and stained the lumber. I decided on a red-ish color stain, so far I like the look.

After staining, time to attach the palapa thatch to the frames! Now this is more fun! Starting to show signs of tiki!! I bought the thatch from Benson's South Seas Imports, they had the best prices and fast shipping.

Also time to attach the plywood to the front of the bar structure. You can see now I didn't build just a straight L shape, it will have a 45 degree corner then return to the wall. I will attach the bamboo to this next. Starting to look more like a bar now.

View Profile of Aloha Daddy Send a personal message to Aloha Daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rumackay

Posted: 2013-08-25 5:24 pm   Permalink

Looking really good so far. This has always been my favourite part of these threads, the construction pics. It's so very, very rewarding when you've finished (is a tiki bar ever really finished) and you are having your first mai tai. Plenty more pics on the way I hope

View Profile of rumackay Send a personal message to rumackay      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-25 8:03 pm   Permalink

Nice Name!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-25 9:22 pm   Permalink

Looks like you are off to a nice start and adopting some great style. Keep it up and post more pics as you progress!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-25 10:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-25 20:03, Big Kahuna wrote:
Nice Name!

Thanks! I quite agree...love the original Gidget movie!!! 1994 is my daughter's birth year. She helped me come up with it.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-26 7:02 pm   Permalink

Off to a great start
Lookin forward to watching it all come together
Fish tank, kool...
Have fun and cheers

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-27 3:09 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone, funny you should mention the fish tank, that is a 90 gal tank I am planning on turning into a saltwater reef tank. I already have a 35 gal on the other side of it and originally I had planned on leaving the 90 positioned along the wall but you will see as things progressed I ended up pulling it out from the wall so the end is against the wall and the tank juts out creating a divider of sorts. Kind of a nice way to section off the Tiki bar area from the rest of the garage. Also I am planning on featuring a classic 20 gal tall stainless steel tank I have as a centerpiece of the bar .

I am a fish-0-phile as well as a tiki fanatic, this same wall in my garage used to house about 30 aquariums as I raised tropical fish for years out there. So it just felt right to incorporate some of the little fellers in my tiki world. More pics to come...

Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-27 10:01 pm   Permalink

Now onto raising the roof, I was really looking forward to this part! After attaching the thatch to the A-frame portion of the roof, I actually hung the front portion of the roof to the ceiling and anchored the rear with a clete, so far so good. I am pleased with the result.

I couldn't resist seeing what my fav beer would look like on the new bar,

I then attached the thatch to the side panels.

then hung them on either side of the A-frame, starting to shape up!

Time for attaching the bamboo screen to the front of the bar structure. I had a 6' tall screen that my neighbor gave me and I decided to cut it in half lengthwise with my circular saw, the heigth was perfect for the heigth of the bar.

I also added the bar top at this point, I used 1x pine and attached 2 pieces of 12" side by side for a nice deep bar top. I also added and strip of plywood on the inside of the bar at just the right depth for the spill mats.

I'm starting to get in the mood for that first Mai Tai at this point,

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-27 10:21 pm   Permalink

Looking good- I have a similar bar design for one I'm thinking about building... Look forward to seeing it progress!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy Yeti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-29 9:32 pm   Permalink

Looking great so far!

View Profile of Tipsy Yeti Send a personal message to Tipsy Yeti  Email Tipsy Yeti Goto the website of Tipsy Yeti     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Masher88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-31 07:29 am   Permalink

I love the A frame canopy!

View Profile of Masher88 Send a personal message to Masher88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-31 10:25 pm   Permalink

Awesome build and beer
Koko brown, one of my favorite
Wish they made it all year long

Keep up the good work

Jon

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2013-08-31 22:26 ]

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-01 09:43 am   Permalink

Cool!! Loving the A-frame. Nice work so far. Now! Get those Tikis in there.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-02 9:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments, I appreciate it!

Next I had to work on the bar top, I had the idea to paint it like a surfboard with stripes and stained side panels, so I started by filling in the seam between the boards and any divots in the wood.

I received the woven thatch for the back wall of the bar underneath the roof. I had removed the bamboo screening from the wall in anticipation of putting up the woven material. I also plan on building shelves against the wall to display my tiki collection. I want to have the woven thatch behind the shelves.

I then stained the bar top, I liked the look of the stain, a little on the red side but I like it. I decided against the surfboard concept in favor of another idea I had, memorializing photos of my favorite tiki places and memories on the bar top. I love the idea and started to scan and print all the photos I wanted on the top. My favorite place besides Hawaii is Disneyland and Walt is my hero so I had to have some photos of Walt in the Tiki Room, some concept art for the Tiki Room and the Tahitian Terrace Restaurant. Also I had to have a photo of Don the Beachcomber in Marina Del Rey, where my wife & I were engaged. Some photos from our Hawaiian vacations and a few more all made for a very personal and meaningful bar top.

I then attached a length of bamboo to the edge of the bar top to form a nice edge, I bevel cut the ends and tried to fit them together as best I could. Some matched better than others but overall, it is a great look.

I wasn't sure how to attach the photos without ruining them so I just sprayed the backs with a spray adhesive then attached them to the bar top. I then started to apply one of several coats of clear varithane. The photos started to bubble up and the varithane was reacting to the spray adhesive and basically dissolving it. I ended up having to remove all the photos and had to re-print all of them, oh well, that's how we learn I guess. I found that good old white glue worked best, I used it sparingly and after using the Varithane, it worked just fine. I applied about 8 coats. I would have used a polyester or resin type of sealer but I am building this on a very tight budget so it will have to be Varithane.

This is what the top ended up looking like...and a little sneak preview of the shelves behind! I had something else bad happen that turned out good. I ran out of the stain and had to get more for the shelves. I decided on a stain that was more dark brown and after using it, I liked it so much that I spread some on the bar top to take away some of the red look. it turned out so well that I ended up staining all of the bar top with the brown and liked the look much better. You can see from the photo the end result with the photos and the varithane. I am very happy with how things are shaping up. I'll show you the shelves next.

[ This Message was edited by: Aloha Daddy 2013-09-03 20:33 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation