FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Big Kahuna's Tiki Shack
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Big Kahuna's Tiki Shack
Polly_Nesia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-26 2:17 pm   Permalink

Have to say every change you made redoing a particular area just was right on and the way to go--thatch border, extending the beam, adding the ceiling panels, and wow the bar acquarium/flowing volcano is just the best. Great job with the visualization on that. Everything lit at night especially says "that's a swanky bar you have!"

If you can, can you add a couple more photos daytime of the volcano? I was reading your description and very intrigued to get a closer view. Thanks. Gee can't wait to see what other lights you are working on. The puffer fish came out great.

View Profile of Polly_Nesia Send a personal message to Polly_Nesia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AkronTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-29 06:24 am   Permalink

Wow! Every time I check back on this thread, I see something new and wonderful. I couldn't imagine it could get any better but you just keep topping yourself!

Hats off to some great and inspirational work.

View Profile of AkronTiki Send a personal message to AkronTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-30 06:17 am   Permalink

Dang
Gotta say
Ya knocked it out of the park
Good job
Love all the colors, ideas and executions

Congrats n cheers

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-07-09 11:16 am   Permalink

Mahalo for the nice comments, I get so much satisfaction out of adding and plussing my bar, I don't what is more fun, sitting and enjoying the bar with friends or dreaming up more things to build! And I'm so thankful for Tiki Central for providing a venue to share with all the Tiki community. I get so much motivation from all my fellow tiki bar builders.

I did have a problem with the volcano, it was leaking and dripping down where it was not supposed to be dripping. I replaced the tube and built up the sides of the top of the spillway and now there is no problem. I will take a video of the volcano running and the smoke coming out of the top, I have to admit I LOVE this part of the bar as I have always been fascinated with volcanoes. I am now working on the piece that will complete the scene, a backdrop painting. I was researching what I wanted to do there and finally decided on a fantasy style painting of tall mountains with waterfalls and palm trees. I will be using UV paint to give it a midnight like look so it should glow. I'm so excited to finish the scene as the white wall looks very un-tiki!!!

Aloha!!!

View Profile of Aloha Daddy Send a personal message to Aloha Daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-07-11 10:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-06-26 14:17, Polly_Nesia wrote:
Have to say every change you made redoing a particular area just was right on and the way to go--thatch border, extending the beam, adding the ceiling panels, and wow the bar acquarium/flowing volcano is just the best. Great job with the visualization on that. Everything lit at night especially says "that's a swanky bar you have!"

If you can, can you add a couple more photos daytime of the volcano? I was reading your description and very intrigued to get a closer view. Thanks. Gee can't wait to see what other lights you are working on. The puffer fish came out great.

Hi Polly, thanks for your compliments, I'm glad you like what I have done. I took some photos for you showing the volcano without the lighting. I also found some progress photos that show how I framed it with the small pieces of wood and attached a sour cream cup at the top as the collection point for the water. Hopefully this will give you an idea of how the volcano was built. Also, watching Peter Brady build his volcano helps,

View Profile of Aloha Daddy Send a personal message to Aloha Daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polly_Nesia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-07-12 09:22 am   Permalink

Thanks for the closeup photos Aloha Daddy. I really like how you designed the lava flow and painted it. If I remember correctly you said you used a piece of acrylic and painted the underside, with water pumped down the front side. In your photos I'm now seeing some additional detail in the flow area. Lines of clear caulk or solidified hot glue maybe? However you did it, it really added some depth to the look of the 'flow'. It's all so clever and I couldn't help notice it looked so perfect with your Yellow Bird album cover. I've seen so many fabulous bars on this site but I think your volcano among so many other things makes this my favorite.

View Profile of Polly_Nesia Send a personal message to Polly_Nesia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-07-17 7:47 pm   Permalink

Wow...the volcano is looking good!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-08-01 10:26 pm   Permalink

Aloha, I thought I would post photos of my swizzle stick collection as it is very important to me. My Grandad liked to...well, let's just say, he enjoyed life and part of his normal routine was to visit a place where everybody knew his name at the end of the day. He loved everything Hawaiian and started to collect the swizzle sticks that came with his drinks. He passed in early 1990's and I eventually inherited his swizzle sticks. I also loved the colorful sticks so as soon as I was old enough, I started my own collection.

His collection was so large, I had to sort them out and decided to include only those that were from Hawaiian bars or Tiki bars of some sort. I bought a glass container to display the collection and it is almost full. For the photo I separated them so I have mostly one of each, I actually have several of each stick. Some of the sticks are over 50 years old! Many are from bars that no longer exist. Blow up the photo and have fun looking at all the places they are from.

I also included a photo of my other collection, match books. I have a huge collection, but the ones in the glass bottle are from only Tiki bars and places in Hawaii. I wasn't fortunate enough to get those from my Grandad so you are only seeing the ones I personally have collected.

Here are my swizzle sticks

Here is the glass container with my swizzle stick collection.

Here is my matching glass bowl with my match book collection.

Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-08-16 10:33 pm   Permalink

Here is a sneak peak at what's next at the Tiki Hideaway...I'll let you see more this weekend as it gets installed behind the Volcanoes...

W8N2Surf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-09-05 09:50 am   Permalink

Love to see you take a little video of the center piece, with the water flow and the smoke operating. Great job all around, remarkable.

View Profile of W8N2Surf Send a personal message to W8N2Surf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-09-05 8:14 pm   Permalink

Just finished mounting the background painting for the volcanoes. I painted it with acrylic paints and then painted over it with the invisible UV paints. I am pleased but I will probably tweak it a little to get some different colors in the UV paints. I shot a video also so you can see the water flowing and the fog coming out. I have never posted a video before so hopefully it will work but for now, here are a couple of photos. You can see the fog in the close ups.

Aloha!!!

whoseyrtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-09-05 11:33 pm   Permalink

Eager to see the video. Looks great. Hope you're able to post it soon.

View Profile of whoseyrtiki Send a personal message to whoseyrtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-09-26 10:01 pm   Permalink

I am not the most tech saavy person in the world, I'd rather spend timedoing more creative things frankly! So until I can figure out how to download my video here, if you are interested, please go to my Facebook page via this link, https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1197803183645327&id=100002469691480&comment_id=1199345736824405&notif_t=feed_comment&notif_id=1474692220925291. I'd love for you to check it out and let me know what you think.

Aloha!!!

MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-27 04:40 am   Permalink

You've done some very creative things. I enjoyed watching the video. Keep reinventing your bar, it gets better all the the time.

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-09-27 8:57 pm   Permalink

Thank you Mauka, that means a lot coming from you! I have so many plans and so little time, it can get frustrating but winter is coming and things will be slowing down so I will have more time to see my plans come to fruition. Please let me know if you're ever near San Diego, I'd love to have you taste my Mai Tais!!

aloha!!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation