FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Big Kahuna's Tiki Shack
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Big Kahuna's Tiki Shack
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-12-30 10:41 pm   Permalink

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Happy New Year!

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
W8N2Surf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-01-04 07:33 am   Permalink

Your ceiling panels are a great example of the ingenuity demonstrated within this forum. What a great idea, and I love how you have separated them on each side. Nice work sir.

View Profile of W8N2Surf Send a personal message to W8N2Surf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-02-07 8:59 pm   Permalink

As we all tend to do, I have had ideas rolling around to remodel the central area of my bar, the aquarium is a classic stainless steel frame model from the 60's, it is cool but it is only 10 gallons and so it is limited as to how many fish I can house and the higher level of maintenance required. I tore out the center of the bar and started to construct a new cabinet for my aquarium paraphernalia and a new housing for a 20 gal tank. I am remodeling the look of the aquarium area, it will now look like you are looking into a port hole into the tank. I am excited to see this develop, I'm kind of winging it as I go. sometimes it takes more work as I have to think it out as I go but the results are usually pretty cool!

This is how the area looked before I started.

This is after tearing out the small cabinet I had and the aquarium area. I have the framework for the new cabinet sitting in there.

This photo is of the area with the new cabinet below and the new aquarium framed in. Of course this is very preliminary, I will cover everything with bamboo framing and woven matting. I built a hinged cover for the top of the aquarium cabinet so you can open and close it for access to the tank. It is set on an angle so I will cover it with thatch to make it look like a little tiki hut.

More to come as I start to finish everything off. I am planning on adding a new water feature on top as the fountain I had there previously always spashed alittle too much. I am planning on a waterfall and tiki combo with a little less splash but with more punch, Hawaiian punch that is!

Thanks again everybody for your help and inspiration, together we make each other more creative and inspired.

View Profile of Aloha Daddy Send a personal message to Aloha Daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-02-21 8:34 pm   Permalink

Ok, I just posted photos of my remodel of a couple of weeks ago, like many of you, hopefully, I got half way through my remodel then got a better idea and so this weekend I ripped out everything I did and did it over again. I was planning on installing a 20 gal aquarium tank to double the capacity of the 10 gal I had there previously but then I looked at a 32 gal aquapod which I was not using and I loved that tank. I measured it and decided it would be better suited and I would be able to house better fish in that tank as well. So I designed a more involved remodel and redid everything I did 2 weeks ago. The first photos show how I literally sawed and removed the entire center portion of the bar against the wall. I am building a new cabinet that will house a cabinet with a door and the 32 gal tank. Above that, I will build a volcano that will be a waterfall that spills water into the aquarium below, and at the top of the volcano, I will have a smoke generator at the top, tow other peaks will flank the main peak and a tiki sculpture will be built into the mountain side. While I've got the thing taken apart, I am removing the mirrored back where the bottles are housed and build a lit from behind backdrop display of exotica album covers. I know I sometimes bite off more than I should, but it's what keeps me sane and it's fun, right?

I'll post the photos showing progress, more to come...

The Aquarium cabinet will have bamboo accents, the lid over the tank will have thatch to make it look like a tiki hut. The cabinet door will have a retro tiki design with bamboo trim. Can't wait to finish this project!

aloha!

View Profile of Aloha Daddy Send a personal message to Aloha Daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-03-03 9:43 pm   Permalink

I've been working really hard on this remodel, my wife told me I bit off more than I could chew, what's new? I always do but it's what keeps me always reaching higher and not being satisfied with my bar always being in a state of "under constuction". I will get ideas in the middle of the day and I have to write it down and develop it on paper and I can't rest until I do.

Anyway, Tiki Central and my fellow tiki bar owners are a big part of that inspiration. I may be looking at other bars and I will get an idea totally unrelated to the photos I'm seeing, but the creative juices get going from seeing such talent and creativity in others' bars.

Anyway, I'm posting progress photos, which for me is hard because I don't like people to see my work while it still looks ugly. But I know I like to see others' progress photos so maybe some people would like to see mine, so here goes.

The centerpiece of the new bar will be a waterfall/volcano. I've always had a fountain in the middle, but I've had problems with the splashing running the thing dry. I'm making this volcano with a waterfall that runs down a piece of acrylic that I have painted the backside orange & red. The top reservoir where the water starts will have an LED smoke unit in it. In this photo I have a frame of lightweight wood and I draped metal window screening over that. I laid plastercloth strips over that to create the mountains. I also cut up an aquarium piece of ancient ruins and placed it in the mountain to simulate a lost city covered in lava.

The cabinet that holds up the volcano had to be beefed up and expanded to accommodate the new 32 gal aquarium tank I'm putting on it. I tried to make a tiki hut look, I covered the legs with large bamboo and I designed the lid of the box to be hinged for easy access to the tank and I covered it with thatch for the tiki hut roof piece. The sides of the enclosure have 20" high tiki masks hinged again for good access to the sides and back of the tank.

One of my favorite things that has been in my mind for a long time is the lighted panels that will go on both sides of the bar showcasing exotica album covers. I built the light boxes and the lights are LED strips attached to the insides of the boxes. I am planning on moving my bottles of booze to the lower shelves and I will be showcasing my tiki mug collection on the former bottle shelves in front of the light boxes. This photo is of the first one, I will be framing them with bamboo poles so they will be more finished looking than this.

More to come soon...

aloha!

bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-03 9:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks for sharing these! We need inspiration, so the 'before'/'during' photos are actually encouraging.
I can't wait to see how it turns out!

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-03-13 4:14 pm   Permalink

After a month of weeknights and weekends working on the remodel of my Tiki Hideaway, it is finished! I am pleased with the results, of course, I have some tweaking to do but for the most part, I think it was a success. I actually undertook 3 projects at the same time, first was remodeling the center portion of the bar to accomodate a larger aquarium tank, second was building a volcano/waterfall on the upper area above the aquarium and third is two light boxes I have wanted to build with exotica album covers lit from behind. I always bite off more than I can chew and so it went. I made a commitment to a client who I found shared my love of tiki for her and her family to come over to toast the new bar and so the clock started ticking. Take a look and see what you think...

This is my quick drawing of how I pictured the remodel looking like, it served as my model to refer to during the remodel.

And this is the final product...

Here is a detail close up of the tank, I tried to give the impression of an ancient village that was buried under a lava flow and the sunken city below. I incorporated a volcano and a temple with unrealistic colored fake plants with black gravel. I think the effect is fairly authentic.

Here are closeups of the volcano, I used an aquarium decoration that was round with god faces all around. I sawed the piece in half and worked it into the volcano mountain with some rock faces. If you look back you can see the wood and screen frame I used to construct the mountain, I then draped it with plaster cloth strips. I then painted it and finished with a spray of black acrylic and water. The tops of the volcanos with sprayed with red and orange spray paint, the spillway is made of acrylic sprayed on the underside so the water spilling down does not take traces of paint with it into the aquarium below. Yes, the waterfall spills into the aquarium below.

I actually put a unit in the top that smokes and has an LED light, the smoke wafts down the spillway and is an swesome effect. You can't really see it in the photos unfortunately.

The light boxes were fun & easy, a box made of wood, (see previous photos) then 2 pieces of clear acrylic with prints of the covers between is screwed on the top of the boxes. Add a bamboo frame and viola! I mounted these on either side of the center of the bar, and displayed my tiki mug collection in front of them. I moved the bottles of the good stuff to the shelf below.

And here is the whole thing all together...

And the christening with our new friends, Kelee & Tom, Lynn & Kristin...

HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-13 11:08 pm   Permalink

That is AWESOME. I just have to try my hand at that light box. How did you get the record covers done, local copy shop?

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-14 01:08 am   Permalink

Aloha Daddy, your creativity amazes me. You have a magnificent center piece for your bar.

[ This Message was edited by: MaukaHale 2016-03-14 01:09 ]

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Danno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-14 07:52 am   Permalink

Very, very cool. Nice work!

View Profile of Danno Send a personal message to Danno      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-14 4:34 pm   Permalink

That is freakin' incredible! Wow!

I love that the volcano/aquarium tells its own little story of a lost civilization. These storytelling diorama elements in Tiki bars are fantastic. It's great to see them here on the forum!

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-03-18 10:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-13 23:08, HopeChest wrote:
That is AWESOME. I just have to try my hand at that light box. How did you get the record covers done, local copy shop?

Thank you HopeChest, yes, I scanned the images from my collection of record albums and since they were oversized, 12" x 12", I had them printed on regular papaer at the local copy shop. I first tried to use ModPodge but the images were too large and I ended up with a big mess on my hands after spending a lot of time putting on the goop. I then decided to just use the paper images.

Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-03-18 10:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-14 01:08, MaukaHale wrote:
Aloha Daddy, your creativity amazes me. You have a magnificent center piece for your bar.

[ This Message was edited by: MaukaHale 2016-03-14 01:09 ]

Mahalo MaukaHale, that's high praise especially coming from you!!! I respect and admire your work so, the funny thing is, I will look at the work you and others do on this site and it will inspire me to think up something totally unrelated. It is just with all the creative ideas presented on this site, it gets your creative juices flowing, and that's the real beauty of this site.

Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-03-18 10:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-14 16:34, EnchantedTikiGoth wrote:
That is freakin' incredible! Wow!

I love that the volcano/aquarium tells its own little story of a lost civilization. These storytelling diorama elements in Tiki bars are fantastic. It's great to see them here on the forum!

Thank you Goth! I'm glad you appreciate the story, I like the association between tiki gods and lost civilizations, ruins in a jungle, etc. Tiki has so many branches that you can go on, like the Pirate thing also, I would love to go that direction also as many others have done. Thanks again for your kind words

Aloha!!

Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-03-18 10:45 pm   Permalink

Mahalo everyone who left your nice comments, it really means a lot to get encouragement from fellow tiki freaks! I did want to mention before someone beats me to it, the wall behind the volcano is awfully blank and ugly, I am planning on using a piece of masonite and painting it with a far off mural of distant volcanos, a moon and simple images all painted with UV paint so it has a soft glow. I can't wait, I think it will complete the whole illusion.

Then, I really have to concentrate on creating more hanging lamps, i keep getting sidetracked but I know the thing that I need the most at this point is more hanging lamps. All in time, right!

Aloha!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation