<"/>
FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Big Kahuna's Tiki Shack

You are viewing a single post from the search result.
view the entire topic
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Big Kahuna's Tiki Shack
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-22 5:14 pm   Permalink

Aloha fellow tikiphiles, I apologize for being away, I moved over the Thanksgiving weekend and the Tiki Shack had to come down. I knew we would have to move when I built it so it was built with portability in mind. With the holidays over and all the pieces laying around in my garage, I could not wait to start putting it back together. And of course, I had to do all the upgrades to our new place for the lady first!

But this time, I know what areas of the bar I was not satisfied with the first time, so I am able to build it a little bigger and better than before, yeah!!! My garage in this house affords me the opportunity to build it bigger and I like the way it it situated better. I will be posting pictures of my progress, one of the things I did better was pour a two part epoxy on the bar top. I found it at Lowe's and it was not too expensive so I went for it. I also decided to glue more photos on the bar top this time. I have a combination of retro Tiki Bar ads, Disneyland Tiki Room, classic surf movies, and Hawaii travel ads. All are encased in the epoxy. I love the look which is what I was hoping for with the Varithane but it just never got thick enough.

I had only one issue with the epoxy, some of my photos lifted at the corners and so they stick up a little, but I am overall very happy with the result, it looks like glass and is very easy to wipe up messes. I also faced all of the shelves with Bamboo splits. I love the way this finishes off the fronts of the shelves. I have also discovered the wonder of LED lights. I bought a couple of strands of LEDs for my shelves, I had rope lights before but was never happy with the brightness or the stiffness of the rope which made it hard to bend and position without seeing the rope. I am installing the LEDs behind the bamboo facing since they are so small so you can't see the lights just the effect of them. They come with a remote control that allows me to turn them different colors, sequence, brighter or dimmer, or flash. I am so excited about this addition to the bar, I can't wait to install them.

I am also going to re-design the fountain. I am thinking about gluing two bowls together, (back to back)and spraying them with foam which I will then sculpt into tiki designs. I found an LED fixture that I will be putting underwater to shine up into the fountain spray and it changes color. I am so excited about this new addition also. I'll keep you posted on this one as it evolves.

I am so happy to have my Tiki retreat back, like having an old friend back! Oh! I almost forgot to mention something else that will make this bar better than the old. Our new place came with a fridge, so our old fridge ended up in the Tiki Shack! YES! No more runs to the freezer inside the house! Ice and cold juices right at my fingertips )). I'll be posting photos soon, until then, thanks for reading and looking, and any and all comments are encouraged and appreciated!

View Profile of Aloha Daddy Send a personal message to Aloha Daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation