FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki tiki central mug exchange
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
tiki central mug exchange
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-19 07:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-06-19 07:42, Kahiki Guy wrote:
Quote:

On 2015-06-18 17:42, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
i don't think there are 8-9 tiki bars total in wisconsin and illinois combined !!

There are most definitely...my wife has the official list of where we're planning on going. There's 9 listed. We're planning on hitting all of them, but may only make 8 since we've only got 4 days and have a fair amount of sightseeing planned as well...I know, I"m a slacker!

Please post the list - I'm curious myself

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-19 08:46 am   Permalink

Actually you are correct. There are a couple obscure ones I forgot about like tongs tiki hut and mahkahini terrace. Plus the new kona Kai

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahiki Guy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-06-20 08:21 am   Permalink

Right. I'll still post the list though:

Chicago area:
3 dots and a dash
hala kahiki
kona kai
tiki terrace
chef shangri la
tong's tiki hut

Milwaukee area:
Lucky joes
Foundation
Rendezvous (probably won't make it to this one...kinds of out of the way)

That's 9. There are lists of other bars with the word "tiki" or "beach" or something in their name, but these are the ones that are supposed to be the best representation of true tiki. I'm looking forward to hitting every one...and collecting as many mugs as my arms (and credit limit) will hold...

View Profile of Kahiki Guy Send a personal message to Kahiki Guy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-20 08:32 am   Permalink

do yourself a huge favor - do not miss a chance to go to bryant's cocktail lounge in milwaukee. I can sing their praises all day but its better if you just look them up online- old school lounge like something out of the rat pack era but original, not dressed up to look like something out of that era. get there when they open at 5- it will take a few minutes for your eyes to adjust to the dim room. this is not a dive bar - its old school classy. they have 400 drinks - and no menu. you tell them what you like, what spirit you prefer and they whip you up a fantastic drink. all the standbys are available- mai tais, grogs, zombies, etc. happy hour they have pre prohibition drinks for half price - rusty nails, old fashioners, etc. you won't be disappointed.

great supper clubs in milwaukee area too if you are looking for food. the five o'clock club and jackson grill are tops.

if i had to choose- i would say the best old school places still open are hala kahiki and chef shangri-la - don't miss them

three dots, tiki terrace and lost lake are the best neo- tiki bars operating.

foundation room is a must and tiki joes i hear good things about but i myself have never been there yet.

look up a place called the breakers - you can hit it on the way to milwaukee for food and drink.

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2015-06-20 08:37 ]

Kahiki Guy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-06-20 09:47 am   Permalink

Sounds good...I'll try to check those out. That old school lounge bar sounds fantastic.

Thanks for the tips!

View Profile of Kahiki Guy Send a personal message to Kahiki Guy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-20 12:15 pm   Permalink

I'm glad i read this post as i'll be in Chicago in about 10 days time with a day trip to Milwaukee planned and there are a couple of places mentioned in that list i wasn't aware of, so if time permits we might try to squeeze them in too.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahiki Guy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-06-21 4:57 pm   Permalink

Awesome. You'll have to post your thoughts on them. We're not going until the middle of July.

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-21 5:22 pm   Permalink

anyone coming to town and want to meet up at the chef or hala kahiki send me a message when you get to town and let me know what time you will be at either location and if it works out we'll stop out for a drink.

IDoVoodoo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-06-23 6:13 pm   Permalink

I think we are getting a little off topic; I'll bring it back.

I have two mugs from Trader Sam's Grog Grotto in Florida to trade; one Nautilus bowl, and one Shrunken Zombie in the green glaze.

Cheers!

View Profile of IDoVoodoo Send a personal message to IDoVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-23 7:36 pm   Permalink

I started this thread. I reserve the right to steer it off topic from time to time. That said - thanks for steering it back. I like that nautilus mug.

McSquiggins

Posted: 2015-06-27 9:21 pm   Permalink

I'll be at Disneyland in a couple days and would love if someone on the east coast would want to trade some Grog Grotto mugs for some DL Trader Sam's mugs. I'm looking for pretty much everything from Grog Grotto, especially the Nautilus, Krakatoa, and Zombie mugs. Just bought a house and haven't had money to go to the second hand market for them yet. I've dealt with a couple people on here before, but I'm willing to send first if I need to. Thanks!

[ This Message was edited by: McSquiggins 2015-06-27 21:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: McSquiggins 2015-06-27 22:32 ]

View Profile of McSquiggins Send a personal message to McSquiggins      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TongaT

Posted: Today; 12:38 am   Permalink

Is anybody going to the 4th anniversary party at the Portland Trader Vic's on Saturday that might want to trade one of the anniversary mugs for a Disney Tahitian Terrace Event Mug?

View Profile of TongaT Send a personal message to TongaT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation