[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food How to Make the Perfect Mai Tai
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
How to Make the Perfect Mai Tai
tripower
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-29 06:50 am   Permalink

Hey all,

Here's a short video of PKNY bartender Val walking us through his Mai Tai. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtwLLgbxIo4

View Profile of tripower Send a personal message to tripower      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-29 08:12 am   Permalink

Very cool, I can't wait to visit PKNY. Wha? Closed? DAMN!

Actually I understand from reading local news reports that the liquor license app for the new "Asphalt Jungle" on Avenue B was recently denied. So the PKNY crew is in (hopefully temporary) limbo, but the owner still seems committed to moving forward and finding a new location.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-29 08:53 am   Permalink

I enjoyed several visits to PKNY and Val's great service and hospitality. He even remembered me from my infrequent prior visits (I live on the west coast), maybe because we were the only people in Manhattan who wear Tropical shirts! I treasure my PKNY tee shirt and look forward to visiting his next bar.

If it is still on-line be sure to download the extensive PKNY cocktail menu.

[ This Message was edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-08-29 08:59 ]

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-29 11:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-29 08:53, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
I enjoyed several visits to PKNY

I remember when it was Painkiller. /hipster comment

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-29 12:36 pm   Permalink

Good video - not to be picky but he doesn't shake it with ice?!

The bar in the background is cool as

I make mine in a jam jar like this one (
http://thebusyhedonist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Bonne-maman-grape.jpg ). It's about 330ml / 11.5oz.

That way, I don't have to strain it, I just top it up with ice & add mint!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-29 1:14 pm   Permalink

I think for maximum authenticity, you need to shake in a Mai Tai glass with a Boston shaker tin on top and then pour unstrained back into the Mai Tai glass, top with more ice, garnish, and voila!

I haven't watched the video yet, but I would say another important secret to a most excellent Mai Tai is using a short straw so that when you take a sip your nose is right in that fresh mint garnish. A big part of the sensory experience of the drink for me.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-29 1:49 pm   Permalink

Dry shaking it is an odd twist, although it would make for a stronger drink!

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blueeyedtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-29 1:51 pm   Permalink

I second the short straw comment.

The dry shake in the video was an interesting way to do it...

View Profile of blueeyedtiki Send a personal message to blueeyedtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-29 2:36 pm   Permalink

I was privileged to apprentice under Val (as was Gina) for a few months during the last few months at PKNY. All aspects of drink-making there are on a perfectionist level. Val's approach to shaking a Mai Tai works the best that I have experienced. Mai Tais are a dry shake. Glasses are kept chilled until the pour is ready. The glass is packed with crushed ice. The pour is made. More ice is packed on top. An over-proof float is poured on top (not sure if that was in the video?) Garnishes are added. Powdered sugar is sprinkled on the mint. The glass is grasped at the very bottom edge to minimize warming and fingerprints and presented to the customer. This approach maximizes chilling and minimizes dilution.

-Jack

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-29 2:36 pm   Permalink

I "third" the short straw comment. I keep several lengths of straws in my bar, and long ago stumbled upon the need for short straws for drinks served in old-fashioned and double-old-fashioned glasses. My long straws are needed for tall tiki mugs and other tall glassware. Some of my short straws are used for Painkillers served in skull drinking glasses a friend bought for me at Spencer's at the mall.

People sell drinking straws in many colors on eBay. Some I cut down to shorter lengths as needed. My long specialty straws for Volcano and Scorpion bowls generally come from the bar supply web sites. I did, a few years ago, accidentally order a jumbo pack of the super-long bendy straws used by folks with medical conditions. I can't get myself to throw them out, figure I'll just have to make some bowl drinks...

Sorry for the thread detour. Two consecutive comments on straws just somehow drew me in to share my findings...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-29 2:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-29 08:53, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
maybe because we were the only people in Manhattan who wear Tropical shirts!
[ This Message was edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-08-29 08:59 ]

Hahaha! Hardly!

-Jack

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-29 4:42 pm   Permalink

I'm sorry . . . but to me, the "perfect" Mai Tai is Vic's original recipe which he was kind enough to openly share with the rest of the world. The only modern variation - the rums you use . . . at the original rum Vic used hasn't been available for decades.
Just MHO.

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-08-29 4:52 pm   Permalink

As mentioned before, here's the Martin Cate video on how to make a Mai Tai:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZUYP1gn-fY

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-29 6:53 pm   Permalink

tabuzak, thanks for sharing the inside scoop on how to make a PKNY style Mai Tai! More PKNY insider info or war stories are welcome here.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-29 9:33 pm   Permalink

I was intrigued by the Val/PKNY Mai Tai, but have to hand it to Martin for the best video I've seen yet on making a great Mai Tai.

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation