FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » How to Make the Perfect Mai Tai
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
How to Make the Perfect Mai Tai
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-29 10:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-29 13:14, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
I think for maximum authenticity... pour unstrained back into the Mai Tai glass

London Trader Vics never have stuff to sell! Ill get some eventually

Quote:

On 2013-08-29 16:52, Hakalugi wrote:
As mentioned before, here's the Martin Cate video on how to make a Mai Tai:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZUYP1gn-fY

Great video, I like the way he puts a hit list of premium rum on the counter & says 'use some of these to suit your taste'

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-30 12:56 am   Permalink

A co-worker of mine who works in London bought a Honi Honi mug for me from there a few months ago so I know they do have some merchandise to sell. By the way, I heard the remodel is done or nearly done. Be sure to post pictures of the new decor!

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Primativa in Hi-Fi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-30 07:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-29 16:42, GentleHangman wrote:
I'm sorry . . . but to me, the "perfect" Mai Tai is Vic's original recipe which he was kind enough to openly share with the rest of the world. The only modern variation - the rums you use . . . at the original rum Vic used hasn't been available for decades.
Just MHO.

Are you quibbling with Val's proportions? Just curious. Because not only are the rums different, but curacao, orgeat and lime quality varies also, not only since back in the day, but among the options available today. You could very easily follow Vic's instructions to the letter and make a crappy drink.

You need to know your ingredients and balance accordingly, if the goal is to make a delicious drink, IMHO.

The PKNY crew had worked out their menu to a science. If a brand used in a recipe became unavailable, the whole recipe had to be reconsidered with the new replacement ingredient. Also, every cocktail ingredient pour was measured to perfection. Consistency was important.

-Jack

View Profile of Primativa in Hi-Fi Send a personal message to Primativa in Hi-Fi  Email Primativa in Hi-Fi Goto the website of Primativa in Hi-Fi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-30 09:18 am   Permalink

I like Martin's video and his instructions are fine but the color of his Mai Tai is ALL WRONG! I don't know why it looks like mango juice (yellow/orange) in the video when the rums he used should give it a darker amber color. They don't have that color in his bar so it must be an artifact of the video.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cvcgolf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-03 10:08 pm   Permalink

I always make mine the Martin Cate way.. But I'll give this "dry shake" a try and if it sucks then I'll just chase it down with Cates Mai Tai.. Simple as that..

[ This Message was edited by: cvcgolf 2013-09-03 22:09 ]

View Profile of cvcgolf Send a personal message to cvcgolf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-09-04 2:41 pm   Permalink

Question: What goes in a mai tai?
Answer: Lime, rum, curacao, sugar syrup, orgeat, crushed ice, mint sprig & lime shell

Question: Which rum, curacao, sugar syrup & orgeat are best?
Answer: Well... that's where it gets complicated...

Quote:

On 2013-08-30 09:18, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
I like Martin's video and his instructions are fine but the color of his Mai Tai is ALL WRONG! I don't know why it looks like mango juice (yellow/orange) in the video...

Both Vals & Martin Cates mai tais end up 'mango' coloured.

For the purposes of research I've had a few high end & low end mai tais recently. My thought is:

The better mai tais I've had have been made using home-made syrups. They have been darker than mine. If you are using brown sugar syrup over white sugar syrup, it darkens the drink. If you are using orgeat made with brown sugar, this also darkens the drink.

I attribute the 'mango' colour to that. My mai tai pic on page 1 looks weak-ass compared to those in the videos but was tasty anyway. I used white sugar syrup & white orgeat.

For a while Im going to experiment, particularly with brown sugar syrups - I wonder if the better the syrups, the better the mai tai?

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-04 2:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I attribute the 'mango' colour to that. My mai tai pic on page 1 looks weak-ass compared to those in the videos but was tasty anyway. I used white sugar syrup & white orgeat.

For a while Im going to experiment, particularly with brown sugar syrups - I wonder if the better the syrups, the better the mai tai?

I tend to think that if any of the ingredients could be upgraded or improved, it will only serve to improve the entire drink. Therefore... Better syrups = better Mai-Tai

Now I'm thirsty! Cheers!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-04 3:45 pm   Permalink

So here's the simple question - what rums do you like to pair for your mai tai?

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-09-04 4:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-04 15:45, kkocka wrote:
So here's the simple question - what rums do you like to pair for your mai tai?

My all time favorite combo was with:
Saint James Hors D'Age
&
Appleton Estate Extra 12yr

However since I can't find the St. James as of late I've been going with:
Rhum Clément, V.S.O.P.
&
Appleton Estate Extra 12yr

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTizzle_Swizzle

Posted: 2013-09-04 4:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:
The PKNY crew had worked out their menu to a science. If a brand used in a recipe became unavailable, the whole recipe had to be reconsidered with the new replacement ingredient. Also, every cocktail ingredient pour was measured to perfection. Consistency was important.

I'm sure they made some delicious drinks but since you're claiming PKNY was "perfection", have you seen Richard Boccato—of PKNY—do their '34 Zombie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NybsMaB0LQs

Swizzled? No flash blend w/ crushed ice? Float the Bacardi/Gosling's overproof rum? (No Lemon Hart 151???) Did you convert his proportions to ounces? Just about everything is way off from the '34.

I dunno but those are pretty noob mistakes and you're claiming perfection.

Not to mention, looking at their Mai Tai menu on the official website: http://www.pk-ny.com/mai-tai-menu.html

Overproof rum in the original Trader Vic Mai Tai? Combined with Val's dry shake? Powdered sugar on top? Eh?

View Profile of JTizzle_Swizzle Send a personal message to JTizzle_Swizzle      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-04 4:44 pm   Permalink

I stick by what I posted. Trader Vic's Mai Tai to me is the 'perfect' Mai Tai. All others are personal variations, nothing more. Nothing wrong with personal variations as long as one doesn't claim it to be the 'perfect' one. It's a matter of opinion. As far as the rum is concerned, we have no choice: the original 17 year old J. Wray & Nephew went out of production decades ago and we were left with the need to substitute rums we imagined wouldcome close to the flavor and body of the original single rum. For me it's Appleton Estate 12 year old coupled with St. James Martinique rum. Other people have their own favorites and I don't quibble with that.

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2013-09-04 16:48 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-04 5:04 pm   Permalink

My favorite combo right now is Pusser's and Zaya.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-04 5:32 pm   Permalink

There's no such thing as a "perfect" Mai Tai, nor a perfect rum to use. You can talk about an "original" Mai Tai, but even that probably wouldn't match the platonic ideal of a Mai Tai. Hell, Vic used commercial orgeat!

A Mai Tai isn't specific to a particular rum, although it was created with one. But as Vic himself recounts the story, he took down a bottle of "great rum" -- the 17-year-old J. Wray Nephew -- that was "surprisingly golden in color, medium bodied, but with the rich pungent flavor particular to the Jamaican blends." It didn't have to be THAT rum. It was just a great rum Vic wanted to showcase. (This is all assuming, of course, that any of this is true.)

He certainly used other rums to make his Mai Tais over the years, finally settling on the combination of 1 ounce dark Jamaica rum and 1 ounce Martinique rum.

All of this is instructive -- but the "best" Mai Tai is the one YOU like best. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-04 5:38 pm   Permalink

My favorite Mai Tai rums are Appleton 12 yr. and St. James Royal Amber. I also have St. James Hors d' Age but I'd rather sip that than mix it.

I've never made or been served a mango colored Mai Tai at any of the legitimate northern California Tiki bars. Next time I'm at Smuggler's Cove I'll photograph one and post it here.

Dusting the Mai Tai mint garnish with powdered sugar is unique to PKNY.

[ This Message was edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-09-04 17:43 ]

sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-04 5:47 pm   Permalink

fancy light in background too.

:)

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation