FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » What are some of your favorite home tiki bars?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
What are some of your favorite home tiki bars?
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Nov 23, 2010
Posts: 1305
Posted: 2013-09-01 9:05 pm   Permalink

I've seen some real winners on here, but whose home bar really stands out in your mind? Post links to threads!

Edit: I'm not trying to discourage anyone, I'm trying to encourage everyone! I think it's fun to share some favorites. There's so much great stuff buried in here, but it can be hard to wade through it all. Are there any you've seen that stand out? I saw one in the past that had part of a plane incorporated into the bar that I thought was awesome, but couldn't find it again.
_________________
T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks:
TikiTees

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-09-02 09:33 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-09-02 09:55 ]


 View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Feb 21, 2011
Posts: 1074
From: La Mirada Atoll
Posted: 2013-09-02 12:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-01 21:05, TikiTacky wrote:
I've seen some real winners on here, but whose home bar really stands out in your mind? Post links to threads!



I'm not sure that I would want to rank the many home tiki bars that I have visited or viewed online as "the best". Imho they are all top notch and we should encourage anyone trying a build-out (not always an easy task) to build it according to their personal taste, needs, and wants and of course financial situation. I certainly have seen some "standouts" but I'm not prepared to tell anyone that their attempts no matter how feeble don't live up to your or my standards. If I was paying someone for my build-out I would have no qualms about voicing any dissatisfactions-It's my bar.
I'm sorry if I am misunderstanding the premise that you are pursuing and I am not looking for a fight but again imho, your questions seem inappropriate.
Cheers

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-09-02 00:22 ]


 
View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jun 03, 2007
Posts: 861
From: Melbourne,Australia
Posted: 2013-09-02 02:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-02 00:21, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-09-01 21:05, TikiTacky wrote:
I've seen some real winners on here, but whose home bar really stands out in your mind? Post links to threads!



I'm not sure that I would want to rank the many home tiki bars that I have visited or viewed online as "the best". Imho they are all top notch and we should encourage anyone trying a build-out (not always an easy task) to build it according to their personal taste, needs, and wants and of course financial situation. I certainly have seen some "standouts" but I'm not prepared to tell anyone that their attempts no matter how feeble don't live up to your or my standards. If I was paying someone for my build-out I would have no qualms about voicing any dissatisfactions-It's my bar.
I'm sorry if I am misunderstanding the premise that you are pursuing and I am not looking for a fight but again imho, your questions seem inappropriate.
Cheers

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-09-02 00:22 ]



Very well put David. Couldn't agree more.


 
View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Nov 23, 2010
Posts: 1305
Posted: 2013-09-02 09:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-02 00:21, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-09-01 21:05, TikiTacky wrote:
I've seen some real winners on here, but whose home bar really stands out in your mind? Post links to threads!



I'm not sure that I would want to rank the many home tiki bars that I have visited or viewed online as "the best". Imho they are all top notch and we should encourage anyone trying a build-out (not always an easy task) to build it according to their personal taste, needs, and wants and of course financial situation. I certainly have seen some "standouts" but I'm not prepared to tell anyone that their attempts no matter how feeble don't live up to your or my standards. If I was paying someone for my build-out I would have no qualms about voicing any dissatisfactions-It's my bar.
I'm sorry if I am misunderstanding the premise that you are pursuing and I am not looking for a fight but again imho, your questions seem inappropriate.
Cheers

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-09-02 00:22 ]



Thank you for taking the time to write out your response. You're absolutely right, the question was poorly thought out. The ones with the "best" bars are usually the ones with the most money to throw at it, although good taste doesn't always accompany deep pockets. Yes, I agree, we should be encouraging everyone; but I also believe that there's benefit to acknowledging the ones that really stand out to people for various reasons. I love to see challenges overcome, or hard work pay off. Some of the bars in this thread go above and beyond in creativity and execution, and it's those bars that I think are inspirational and worthy of pointing out. I'm not a believer in the "everyone is a winner" mantra, I am a believer that anyone can be—it just takes more effort for some.

This thread has hundreds of bars in it, including many that start off with promise and then are never updated. Not everyone has the time to go through all of them to see what went into the really successful ones, and I think there is definitely merit in pointing those out. What I should have said was "Name some favorites," but I'll leave my original question with an addendum.

As a final note, you said my questions (plural) were inappropriate. I have been asking a lot of questions lately, and I will admit that on occasion I am provocative. To be honest, I find browsing through the old TC posts to be very fun and informative, because everyone was excited and things were new. These days, the only topics that seem to get much response are about events and tiki carving. Often, posts end with the dead end "this has been covered, do a search." Bigbrotiki is often keeping things fresh by adding new information to an old topic, something which he is a master of (and how big is his collection, anyway?!). My post on Witco was intentionally inflammatory because I wanted to get a discussion going, and it did. I quite lively on, I thought, yet no one called names or argued.

To paraphrase a jokester, "this website needs an enema." I'd just like to see a little more of the excitement and wonder that the TCers of old had. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part, but I'm invested enough to give it a try.

_________________
T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks:
TikiTees

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-09-02 09:56 ]


 View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 04, 2003
Posts: 2368
From: Vista, CA
Posted: 2013-09-02 09:42 am   Permalink

Instead of best how about asking this.

Name YOUR top 5 favorites. No one can argue or should take offense with a favorite.

Ive seen so many amazing home bars on TC it would be hard to pick.
What always earns the most respect with me is people who really make the most of whatever space they have.

Ive seen closet sized bars that are super cool because the builder/owner was creative and ingenious about how to make the most of what they have.

I really enjoy the builds where I see the before photos and see what has been done with the space and I conclude... "wow, I never would have thought to put that there, or use that color, or whatever".

Favorites in no particular order.

Bongofurys- Rincon Room- Ventura
Ona Tiki Lounge- San Diego
Matt Reese-Lava Flow Inn- San Diego
Mr. Pupu Pants- Hula Sues South Seas Hideaway- Washington
Murph's- Waikiki Womb- Los Angeles




 
View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Feb 21, 2011
Posts: 1074
From: La Mirada Atoll
Posted: 2013-09-02 10:38 am   Permalink

Nice selection MM. Yours certainly belongs at the top of any list of outstanding bars!
TT, I 'd love to pop a bottle of rum withyou-I like the way you think!
Cheers all


 
View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Nov 23, 2010
Posts: 1305
Posted: 2013-09-02 11:00 am   Permalink

Thanks, Monkeyman! Here's links to ones you mentioned:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=18053&forum=20

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=25372&forum=20

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28247&forum=20

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=35774&forum=20

I could find the one from OnaTiki, though. Either way, great suggestions! And Hula Sue's was the one I couldn't find again—brilliant!

_________________
T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-09-02 11:02 ]


 View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jun 13, 2006
Posts: 1286
From: Dog Patch - San Diego
Posted: 2013-09-02 2:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-02 11:00, TikiTacky wrote:


I could find the one from OnaTiki, though. Either way, great suggestions! And Hula Sue's was the one I couldn't find again—brilliant!




OnaTiki
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z4QcuvZpJ0

I can attest that it's great
_________________
"I am Lono!" -- Hunter S. Thompson


 View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 18, 2011
Posts: 478
From: Forgotten Tiki Room. Pismo Beach, CA
Posted: 2013-09-02 8:38 pm   Permalink

There are a ton of great and beautiful builds on here. But if I had to choose one absolute favorit it would have to be Hula Sues south seas hideaway by Mr Pupu Pants.

 
View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rumackay
Member

Joined: Jan 12, 2012
Posts: 10
From: Qld, Australia
Posted: 2013-09-04 10:17 pm   Permalink

Possible thread jack

Ever since I first discovered this amazing forum I've always hoped there would be a single thread that showcased everyone's bars. I know there was one early on but that seemed to derail into a mass build thread, not everyone posted their bars in it, and, IMO has long since gone past it's original intended use.

As an ultimate reference tool to showcase all the wonderful bars, I would just love to scroll through one long thread of pics, 2 or 3 of each bar with a brief description, and a link to the original thread.

So, I propose a PICS ONLY thread (stickied?) where we all post just the pics and basic info of our bars. No comments! Just Pics and info. What say you?


 
View Profile of rumackay Send a personal message to rumackay      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 26, 2008
Posts: 605
From: San Dimas, ca
Posted: 2013-09-06 08:12 am   Permalink

Its eally hard to just pick five or 10, there are sooooooo many that Ive seen here that I would love to live in, but here are 6 that have really inspired me, although I have taken ideas from others, these are some of my favs, in no order .......

1)The Waikiki Womb

2)The Ohana be Gonna Lounge

3)The Kanakoa Lounge

4)Ka-Bar

5)The Breezeway

6) new fav.......Treasure Island room

note I didn't even list my own as my fav lol


 
View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 25, 2012
Posts: 142
From: Twain Harte, CA
Posted: 2013-09-06 11:41 am   Permalink

Pele Paul,

Dam, you picked my bar as #4 on your list.

I'm doing back flips that I even made the list!!!!!

You just made my year.

Thanks Brother Tikiman.

-Longboard

[ This Message was edited by: Longboard 2013-09-06 11:43 ]


 
View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 26, 2008
Posts: 605
From: San Dimas, ca
Posted: 2013-09-06 12:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-06 11:41, Longboard wrote:
Pele Paul,

Dam, you picked my bar as #4 on your list.

I'm doing back flips that I even made the list!!!!!

You just made my year.

Thanks Brother Tikiman.

-Longboard

[ This Message was edited by: Longboard 2013-09-06 11:43 ]



LOL glad to hear it, although my favs were in no order, that's just how I wrote them down so yours is even higher than #4 lol
love all your nautical stuff, too cool!!!
paul


 
View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Joined: Nov 26, 2005
Posts: 2830
Posted: 2013-09-06 1:02 pm   Permalink

Thanks for your vote Paul, BUT...
Mine is not even close to....

Bongofurys- Rincon Room- Ventura
Any of Amys aka Queen Kamehameha
Swanky has a great home bar
And Monkey Mans is Way cool!
I have missed some but these come to mind.

Dam there are sooo many.

But sadly my bar like so many homes and or bars
of people who make and sell tiki is more ready for
the show Hoarders.
I think some of us spend so much time trying to make tiki
that our spots do not get much care.
Not all but I have seen this in some of the tiki makers homes.
Thanks though!
You have a very cool spot at your home as well really.

-=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=-Google "Tiki bar lights" To find TIKISKIP-=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=-

¦:-·:*''""*:·.-:¦:-**-:¦:-·:*''""*:·.-:¦

_________________


[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2013-09-06 13:03 ]


 
View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 26, 2008
Posts: 605
From: San Dimas, ca
Posted: 2013-09-06 4:40 pm   Permalink

maybe I didn't see some of those, let me go take a look!!

 
View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation