[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » McCoy Leilani mugs
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
McCoy Leilani mugs
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-09-04 7:13 pm   Permalink

Does anyone know when it was that McCoy was making the Leilani mugs? Couldn't find anything about it online, just kept sending me back here.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-05 03:18 am   Permalink

A search of vintage Leilani Rum ads may help narrow the time line of when the mugs were used as a promotion.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-09-05 08:22 am   Permalink

I've already established a timeline for the rum, but I haven't seen any proof that McCoy was the only producer of the giveaway mugs.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-05 5:33 pm   Permalink

I have often wondered where the McCoy pottery Co. connection was established. Has someone seen it in print? Have a McCoy catalog? Was it mentioned in the Leilani rum ads? Has anyone seen or does anyone own a Leilani mug marked McCoy?

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-09-05 5:37 pm   Permalink

I bet Swanky knows. Lets say his name three times and see if he appears:

SWANKY

SWANKY

SWANKY

White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-09-06 08:55 am   Permalink

Swanky in the Quintana Roo right now.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-07 05:21 am   Permalink

Looking back at all if the Leilani mugs I have seen in the wild over the years I don't ever remember seeing a mug definitively marked McCoy.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 09:08 am   Permalink

I don't think McCoy mugs are marked. I have a friend who is a McCoy collector who gave me one and I could not tell it from any other Leilani mug other than it was a bit heavier and a bit more crisp.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-09-12 09:41 am   Permalink

Then how do we know McCoy ever produced them? Are they the ones marked USA?

bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 10:23 am   Permalink

It's always been my understanding that the ones marked USA are the real McCoy.

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-09-12 11:18 am   Permalink

Yeah, me too, but in all my searching I haven't seen anything to back it up. Everyone just says that's what they heard. Well I heard the government was run by lizard people, but I'm not buying it. Well, not yet, anyway.

lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-12 11:45 am   Permalink

The government IS run by lizard people.

But we are not supposed to talk about it here, so here is where we can talk about it...

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=58726.0

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-13 08:14 am   Permalink

You'd need to talk to the McCoy collectors over on www.mccoycentral.com

I had never heard of this McCoy mug thing until my friend gave me one. He and his mother are McCoy collectors and serious junkers. I can only take their word for it.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2013-09-13 12:11 pm   Permalink

I couldn't find mccoycentral.com. and there doesn't appear to be any record of it. I checked the forums at mccoypottery.com, but they're defunct.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-13 2:16 pm   Permalink

For some of the new folks who may not know the connection between Leilani Rum and the Leilani mug here is an ad from 1968 showing the two together for the promotion of the rum. Sorry for the bad quality of the pic.

And for further reading here's a good thread on the subject.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=8553&forum=5&start=0

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2013-09-13 14:17 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation