[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Demerara Rums
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Demerara Rums
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-08 1:10 pm   Permalink

Demerara rums are called for in most tiki drinks. They are probably as essential to your bar as they are to mine.

I've come across a few mixing demerara rums now so thought it'd be good to get a thread going listing them all. They range from the relatively easy going El Dorado range to the 'stiffer' darker ones.

Question 1) What have people come across?

Question 2) How are people using them in drinks?

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-08 1:12 pm   Permalink

Here's my 2 cents:

Woods 100 - a dark (& overproof) with a smoky / woody aftertaste. I tend to use it when a drink requires a half measure of demerara.

OVD - Its very dark, it has an almost coffee like aftertaste & usually dominates a drink when you use it. I dont use it alot!

Skipper - I've only sampled it but seems like a mini version of OVD & Woods, that smoky / woody / coffee aftertaste. Quite widely used in the UK.

El Dorado 5 - quite an easy going demerara rum IMO. It's a good rum but a 'light demerara' to me, it's a gold colour but also it's lacking in punchy flavour compared to dark demeraras. I use it in drinks where demerara is a main ingredient & a 'dark' demerara would be too dominant.

I have seen two Ive not been able to try Thompson (or Thomsons) 'Old Sailor' & Mckinnon - both of these I saw in Northern Ireland & was not able to buy to bring back & try due to airline restrictions.

I tend to keep a 'gold' & a 'dark' on hand to use in different drinks.

[ This Message was edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-09-08 13:13 ]

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-09 07:23 am   Permalink

Unfortunately all the rums mentioned above, except the El Dorado, are unavailable (as far as I know)in Chicago. I'd love to see Demerara get some traction in the states

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-09 09:24 am   Permalink

Yeah, El Dorado is pretty much the only game in town (Other than Lemon Hart 151) in Florida as well. Fortunately for me, I love the stuff.

ED 5 is sufficient for the vast majority of my mixing needs for drinks calling for Demerrara.

ED 8 works well as a mixer too and I think it is a quite passable sipper, but for the few dollars more I will usually pick up ED 12 or ED 15 for sipping.

ED 15 is a top 3 all time sipping rum for me (Cockspur 12 and Barbancourt 15 are my other favorites). ED 15 will very occasionally make its way into a high end cocktail (makes an Excellent premium Mai Tai and a very good Captain's Blood as well).

I just bought a bottle of ED 12 this weekend and it found its way into a coupe of excellent Mai Tais as well (an ED 12 and Smith & Cross combo was especially good). Also did a bit of sipping with the ED 12. It is noticeably sweeter with more vanilla notes than the ED 15. Not Zacapa or Zaya sweet, but I have to be in the mood for a sweeter rum when I sip the 12.

Very recently I finally got my hands on a bottle of ED 3 Light rum and it is really a great premium light mixing rum. More depth than Cruzan but not quite as exotic as Banks 5 Island and it's Batavia Arrack notes. It's about $10 more than Cruzan so it probably won't replace it as my everyday white mixer, but that decision is entirely a money issue. If I could afford the ED 3 every day I would never buy another bottle of Cruzan light.

The only other El Dorado product I hae had is their Demerara Dark. It is chock full of that burnt, acrid taste AdOrAdam described in the Woods and the OVD, and in amounts over a half-ounce it really overpowered most drinks. It took a couple of years to go through a bottle. Before LH 151 became available I was mostly using it in tandem with another 151 rum (usually Golsing)to try to achieve a passable substitution for Lemon Hart.

I really wish we had more Demerara options here in the States. But unless I am mistaken, ALL of the Guyana rum being produced is coming out of Demerara Distillers regardless of the labels, right? I would love to those old wooden Coffey stills in person. Delicious living Caribbean history right there.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-09 7:23 pm   Permalink

I've managed to find ED 3, 5, 8, 12, and 15 here. Personally I'd only consider 15 as a sipper all by its lonesome. Oh --- have also seen ED SPICED. Has anyone tried that?

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-09 8:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-09 09:24, Sunny&Rummy wrote:

Very recently I finally got my hands on a bottle of ED 3 Light rum and it is really a great premium light mixing rum. More depth than Cruzan but not quite as exotic as Banks 5 Island and it's Batavia Arrack notes. It's about $10 more than Cruzan so it probably won't replace it as my everyday white mixer, but that decision is entirely a money issue. If I could afford the ED 3 every day I would never buy another bottle of Cruzan light.

dude, buy the 1.75 of Appelton White, or even Myerss White. closer to the ED3 flavor profile, price closer to Cruzan.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-10 07:58 am   Permalink

I like the Appleton white. My general dislike for Myer's (Steadfast Coruba guy) has kept me from ever trying their white rum, but I may have to give it a go next time I make a bottle run.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-10 10:56 am   Permalink

the ABC stores around here have had clearance prices on both appleton white and myerss white.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 8 days ago; 12:01 am   Permalink

This is my current collection. My friend from the UK brought me the Woods. I have not seen the ED 21 anywhere yet but I will purchase it when I do.

This Port Morant is one that I have never seen or heard about. It is not that great of a sipper, has a very strong molasses taste. It works well in zombies or as a sub for dark rum floats.

The Lemonhart 80 is great for Navy Grogs and Mai Tais. Also a main ingredient in my favorite Bali Hai drink - Goof Punch.

The Woods is a great sipper for a rum lover. Goes well in a zombie. Strong flavored with molasses sweetness aftertaste.

El Dorado goes great in many drinks and is one of the most versatile due to its smoothness in my opinion.

I haven't tried the Skipper yet but I am sure it won't stay sealed long. AdOrAdam said it was similar to the Woods, so I am excited to try it.

I think my #1 favorite would be the Lemonhart 80. I can't decide between the ED or the Woods as a second, but I think the fact that I cannot get the Woods and the ED is everywhere is influencing my decision. So I guess the ED would be my second, but I might have to try the 21 before I choose.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 8 days ago; 08:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-10 07:58, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
My general dislike for Myer's (Steadfast Coruba guy) has kept me from ever trying their white rum, but I may have to give it a go next time I make a bottle run.

Don't. Its very skippable in my humble opinion. In fact I'm using it up as quickly as I can just so I can get back to a bottle of Cruzan for light rum mixing (I'm also a Coruba guy).

Back to Demerara, I stick with the 5 for all mixing and recipes calling for Demerara. I have a bottle of 12 year that I'm not opposed to using as well - in fact I'm trying to get rid of that as well so I can sell the decanter its in, but in the end for me it's much nicer on my wallet to pay under $20 for El Dorado 5 and it does the job well.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 8 days ago; 1:59 pm   Permalink

Here's my current demerara selection:

I think the thing that the El Dorado range have over the 'darker' demerara rums available (Lambs, Woods, OVD, etc) is that the 'woody' flavour is less pronounced but the other flavours remain when when you mix them ~ the 'woody' flavour can be a bit over powering in a mixed drink (like comparing the signature molasses flavour in Myers to other Jamaican rums). Lambs does make a good rum & coke

ED 8 is my demerara rum of choice, it's got woody / coffee & caramel flavours of the 'darker' demerara rums but when mixed you get all the good, not the bad. I think the difference between ED 8 & ED 12 is minimal in a mixed drink (like Three Dots) but I do compare the 2. I prefer ED 12 in mai tais & I love it as sipper.

ED 5 is a little bit out of sorts with demerara rums in general, it's sort of a 'demerara light'. I use it in Queens Park Swizzles where ED8 is a bit too heavy. I just sip ED 15 (it's a bit heavy to mix).

I got Woods 100 previously as a sub for LH151, LH151 beats Woods hands down IMO. LH is out of stock in the UK at the moment, if I can't get LH151 I would not try not to sub it & go the extra mile to order it from mainland Europe.

LH80 is on my list as future purchase just because I'm curious - Id like to hear a comparison to ED 8?

Although not 'true' demeraras, most likely Pussers contain a fair bit of demerara rum in the blend. The 109% Pussers Blue Label is one of favourite rums for it's all over flavour, smell & ability to give you a kick ~ Pussers 15 is more refined, drier & heavier (along the lines of El Dorado 15) so I sip it (Ive never even tried mixing it).

CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 8 days ago; 9:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-11 08:25, kkocka wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-09-10 07:58, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
My general dislike for Myer's (Steadfast Coruba guy) has kept me from ever trying their white rum, but I may have to give it a go next time I make a bottle run.

Don't. Its very skippable in my humble opinion. In fact I'm using it up as quickly as I can just so I can get back to a bottle of Cruzan for light rum mixing (I'm also a Coruba guy).

Jamaican white rums are very heavy and are not interchangeable with the PR/VI style white rums called for in the majority of Tiki cocktails.

[ This Message was edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2014-04-11 21:35 ]

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 5 days ago; 2:15 pm   Permalink

Having never drank it, what does the Myer's White taste like? Any trace of the Hogo you'd find in the Wray & Nephew Overproof or Smith & Cross?

CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 11:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-14 14:15, Kill Devil wrote:
Having never drank it, what does the Myer's White taste like? Any trace of the Hogo you'd find in the Wray & Nephew Overproof or Smith & Cross?

not a trace of hogo in any Myer's rum.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 4:42 pm   Permalink

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation