[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Ginger Liqueur
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Ginger Liqueur
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-09 07:49 am   Permalink

OK someone gave me a bottle of DeKuyper Ginger Liqueur - any ideas how to use it? Can't recall seeing any recipes that call for this, though Falernum comes to mind as a poss substitute. Thoughts?

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-09 10:04 am   Permalink

Have you tried looking it up in The Grogalizer? (I can't get to it from work, darn internet filters...)

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-09 10:09 am   Permalink

Try this, I make it for my wife sometimes (I forgot the name, sorry):
1.5-2 oz vodka (pear flavor)
.5 oz ginger liqueur
.75 oz lime juice
.5 oz agave or simple syrup

Its a little on the sweet side I suppose, but like I said the wife enjoys it.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-09 10:59 am   Permalink

Here's a thread on another ginger liqueur~ Snap
You can also look up Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LeChuck
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-09 11:43 am   Permalink

I like the Blooming Flower cocktail which uses ginger simple syrup. I can imagine ginger liqueur working as well...

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/31216855/Blooming-Flower

View Profile of LeChuck Send a personal message to LeChuck      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-09 12:01 pm   Permalink

probably any ginger beer cocktails would work-- DarkNstormy, Suffering Bastard, Moscow Mule, etc...

i've used ginger liqueur before with mango and martinique rum for a pretty nice drink.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-09 12:10 pm   Permalink

In my latest batch of falernum I grated the ginger (rather than thinly slicing it as the recipe stated) to make it a bit more fiery, its settled down a bit now but still has a extra ginger kick.

In the past (using a ginger cordial which is like a syrup) I've made:

- The QB Cooler (a tsp)

- Rum Old Fashioned's (in place of the syrup)

- Punch with spiced rum, apple juice & bitters.

- My 'Pirates Diaquiri' - 2 dark rum, 1 ginger, 1 lime
I used Captain Morgan as a the rum, I think a more flavourful dark rum would be pointless as the the ginger should be fiery enough to make you say 'Arrr' like a pirate kind of a non fizzy /daiquiri Dark & Stormy

I quite like using ginger in drinks, its fun to have a little tingle of it in the summer & a proper amount in drinks as the weather starts to get cold.

Id sub ginger syrup or liqueur in place of falernum / pimento / syrup in any drink at least once. It cant hurt & it might give it a good kick!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-09 12:34 pm   Permalink

The New Orleans Buck calls for orange juice, rum, soda, and ginger syrup or ginger beer. Bet that'd be good with ginger liqueur.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-09 1:16 pm   Permalink

I use Domain de Canton Ginger Liquor whenever ginger simple syrup is an ingredient. I rarely need ginger simple syrup and Domain de Canton is shelf stable. The extra alcohol isn't usually a problem!

When I get really lazy I substitute Barenjager 1:1 for honey syrup. It makes for a great Donn Beach Navy Grog.

[ This Message was edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-09-09 18:03 ]

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-09 7:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks for cool ideas!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-10 07:55 am   Permalink

I'll also sub Canton for ginger syrup if I am too lazy to make the syrup pr my wife has decided I have taken up too much refrigerator space with all my syrups. I wonder if Stone's Ginger Wine would work well there also.

The Barenjager sub for honey is interesting an something I have never tried. I have a nice Apis mead I might have to try in a Navy Grog or Rum Barrel instead of honey mix.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-10 09:42 am   Permalink

When I do use honey syrup I "make it to order" by putting orange blossum honey 50:50 with water in a shot glass and heat it in the microwave for approximately 15 seconds, so it mixes easily. Using Barenjager is a lot less prep, mess and clean-up and I think it tastes better.

I've never had ginger wine but my guess is that it lacks the heavy syrup base of a liquor.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-10 8:22 pm   Permalink

Where's Kahuna Kevin? He hijacks my thread about a completely different spirit, and then doesn't even show up here to hawk his "Drunkenstein's Bride"! I use Giffard's Ginger Liqueur which probably falls somewhere between Dekuypers and Domain de Canton on the quality spectrum. I'm interested in trying King's Ginger, but it's almost as expensive as the Canton. Here are my feeble attempts at ginger cocktails:

Ginger Grant
1.5 oz vanilla vodka
.5 oz ginger liqueur
2-3 dashes Peychaud's bitters
Stir over ice and strain into small cocktail glass.

Neptune's Trident
2 oz Barbados rum
1/2 oz ginger liqueur
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz grapefruit juice
1/4 oz simple syrup
Dash Angostura bitters
Shake with crushed ice and pour unstrained into rocks glass.

[ This Message was edited by: Brandomoai 2013-09-10 20:24 ]

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-11 8:29 pm   Permalink

Brando, that Neptune's Trident looks really good. Use the 3 pronged card holder from a bouquet of flowers as a swizzle stick and skewer a fish cut from fruit on it

Picked up some Canton Ginger tonight because that's what I found in my area. It has some recipes attached, I'll post them soon.

Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 06:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-11 20:29, MadDogMike wrote:
Brando, that Neptune's Trident looks really good. Use the 3 pronged card holder from a bouquet of flowers as a swizzle stick and skewer a fish cut from fruit on it

Picked up some Canton Ginger tonight because that's what I found in my area. It has some recipes attached, I'll post them soon.

I like it! I couldn't find any trident swizzles, so I had to use the trident from my old Aquaman figure...

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation