FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Finally got to see Stardust's Aku Aku moai in Vegas!
Finally got to see Stardust's Aku Aku moai in Vegas!
tikitommy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-09 6:08 pm   Permalink

Two years ago I was in Vegas and visited Sunset Park, where one of the Stardust's Aku Aku restaurant's moai was relocated to years back after the restaurant's closing; unfortunately, that section of the park was fenced off for people to visit at that time. Well, I just spent last week in Sin City and am happy to say I was able to visit this treasure due to the fence's being gone, and boy did this make me happy. I'm uploading here a panorama photo I took of the moai, which is in the middle of the small, man made lake. What a beautiful sight; enjoy!! TikiTommy

View Profile of tikitommy Send a personal message to tikitommy  Email tikitommy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-09 7:37 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-09-09 19:45 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-09 7:45 pm   Permalink

TT, I shared your pic with my wife and we're going to make it a point to visit that big guy and then head to frankies and raise a mug to the Aku Aku and all who were fortunate to have visited there.
Mahalo
Btw, one of my favorite as well as one of my first mugs is the "lidded Moai" from the Aku Aku.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-10 05:01 am   Permalink

Excellent! I was there 2 years ago, too, driving around in circles onlt to find out I couldn't get near it. Nice pic. Thanks for posting. I mighta tried to swim out to it!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-10 1:16 pm   Permalink

Some folks must have rilly big computer screens - I just have a medium MacBook Pro

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-10 8:56 pm   Permalink

Sven, Are you baiting Grog? Rilly?

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-10 9:52 pm   Permalink

Excellent! I'm going to go check it out again in December during Frankie's Tiki Room 5th anniversary!!!

Here are some pics on page 1 from 05' Good times !!!

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1845&forum=1

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-11 10:02 am   Permalink

C'mon, Sven! I know the Moai's a bit small, but that's a great photo.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-11 10:42 am   Permalink

Totally - if you wanna play "Where's Moai?"

My comment was actually in earnest: As a cinematographer, I have to be very aware of the technological advances of home viewing. I shoot mostly for TV, and the proliferation of large flat screen TVs in the home market has recently translated into me framing my close-ups a little less tight, because the actors face might come across as too large now. Traditionally, TV close-ups used to be a bit closer than feature film close-ups, which are framed wider because they are seen on a huge screen. So now my framing lies somewhere between the old TV size and the movie screen size.

Consequently, I can also do wider wide-shots, because more detail can be seen in them now. Of course, not everybody has home theater-size monitors. I'm just glad I stopped shooting music videos before all the kids started watching them on I-Phones!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2014-09-05 12:38 pm   Permalink

While on a recent trip to Las Vegas, I managed to drop by Sunset Park.

Eli Hedley's Aku Aku Moai:

Larger images on my Flickr page:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/akahaka/sets/

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raff Rayonsky

Posted: 2014-09-06 10:37 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Hakalugi, for the surreal photos. As a former Henderson, NV resident, I need to get back to see Sunset Park. No Moai when I was there! And to bigbrotiki, nein merd, man. Used to carry a 4x5 on a tripod and print in big roller drums. Now I can't get a handle on how or where I'm viewing (let alone showing) images any more!!!

View Profile of Raff Rayonsky Send a personal message to Raff Rayonsky      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-19 3:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-09 18:08, tikitommy wrote:
Two years ago I was in Vegas and visited Sunset Park, where one of the Stardust's Aku Aku restaurant's moai was relocated to years back after the restaurant's closing; unfortunately, that section of the park was fenced off for people to visit at that time. Well, I just spent last week in Sin City and am happy to say I was able to visit this treasure due to the fence's being gone, and boy did this make me happy. I'm uploading here a panorama photo I took of the moai, which is in the middle of the small, man made lake. What a beautiful sight; enjoy!! TikiTommy

While I might have preferred a permanent location on Fremont Street, or along the median on Charleston Street, its current location is a proud reminder of Tiki glory days and easily accessible enroute to and fro the airport.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation