FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars New member, new build and new to Tiki
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
New member, new build and new to Tiki
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-09 11:00 pm   Permalink

New here and have been reading a lot, it's addicting looking at all the great looking builds and reading the stories.

I have to admit we started a hut before I found this site. It was going to be a Tiki Bar but like most people I really didn't know what that really means, still not sure. The more I read the more I learn, so it will be a build and learn as I go thing, so for now I will just call it a Hut as not to offend.

It started as a project to redo our front garden/landscaping, we live in the country so the front yard is fine, hidden from the road (to the right 100' away in pic) by 2 rows of large Azalea's. There was a pond with waterlillies and Koi surrounded by gardens when we decided to make a change. After about 15 years of that we wanted something different so we went with the hut idea, we like doing this kind of stuff, my wife and I did landscaping as a living and still enjoy it.

It's all still rough, just getting started but happy so far (I love building things). The frame of the hut is up and I started the bar and have some landscaping in, we have a long long way to go.

This is the only pic I have so far, it's just some temporary white Christmas lights hung for when we sit out there at night. The hut is 16' wide and 24' long, we live in the South and need the shade in the summer for sure.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2013-09-09 23:09 ]

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-10 08:15 am   Permalink

Where are you located?

-Longboard

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-10 09:45 am   Permalink

Sorry about that, South Mississippi, one hour North of New Orleans.
Thought I filled that in, after looking back I see what I did wrong I didn't add the password, fixed thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2013-09-10 09:50 ]

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-10 10:30 am   Permalink

Welcome to Tiki Central dtel. Lots of potential there, lots of space to fill. Have fun!!!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-09-10 1:20 pm   Permalink

Big tiki space = jealous! My kitchen doesn't compare...

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-11 8:04 pm   Permalink

I agree...you are lucky to have that much space...the sky is the limit!!! Welcome to Tiki Central and best of luck with your "hut". Once you get started it will be addictive.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 6:25 pm   Permalink

It is a lot of space, it's going to take me a long time to get it right.

This is how the bar is coming along, the back bar still needs to go in, Bamboo on the front then a lot of sanding before the finish.

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 6:35 pm   Permalink

The top is 2x12's cut smaller in the back to make the curve, that was a headache figuring out the angle, they are screwed in from the bottom. the back shelf on the bar will be made the same way. It's over 16' around the long side(where you sit)should seat 7-8 people ?

I really like the way wood looks burned so that's what I think I want to do then some Spar Varnish.

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 6:45 pm   Permalink

Just to give you an idea how it's laid out, the burning wood idea was straight from the TC forum, never heard of it before so I wet crazy and burned every inch of the hut and everything you can see from inside the back of the bar.

After looking at home huts I am thinking about some fish netting for the ceiling to hide it a little, I have a bunch of old trawl netting. The problem is it's a greenish bluish color, should I try to change it or leave it that color, or skip the nets altogether ? The light are temporary, maby some colored lights ?

I have a looong way to go !

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 7:08 pm   Permalink

It is always fun to see progress pictures. Keep us posted.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rumackay

Posted: 2013-09-12 10:21 pm   Permalink

Love the shape of the bar. If I hadn't already built mine I'd seriously consider "borrowing" that design A+

View Profile of rumackay Send a personal message to rumackay      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy Yeti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-14 3:07 pm   Permalink

You're off to a great start, can't wait to see more!

View Profile of Tipsy Yeti Send a personal message to Tipsy Yeti  Email Tipsy Yeti Goto the website of Tipsy Yeti     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-15 3:04 pm   Permalink

Looks awesome- I'm working on preliminary design for my home bar, love the circular design- will be a beefy bar top w/ the 2x12s. Dig the idea of using the varying cut pieces to make the arc, should look killer when finished. Can't wait to see what you're going to do next.... thanks for posting!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Gino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-16 8:29 pm   Permalink

Seeing the progress is going to be awesome - I can't wait! Great job so far.

View Profile of Trader Gino Send a personal message to Trader Gino  Goto the website of Trader Gino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-16 9:35 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone, about all I have been doing is sanding, and I hate sanding but almost done.

I wanted to use marine spar varnish for the top, what are some of the brands people here have used ?

It's in the shade except for early morning and late evening and could get some rain if the wind was really blowing. Thinking about Z SPAR
1015 Captain's Varnish, but not finished looking ?

Thanks

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation