FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars New member, new build and new to Tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
New member, new build and new to Tiki
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-03 12:31 pm   Permalink

dtel, the roof waterfall is fantastic- great effect and an easy way to cool off when it gets too hot (the "head dip"). If you can, would love to see some photos from the inside looking out through the waterfall. Eventually would be cool to get some light shining through the water as it falls.

Keep it up!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-03 1:46 pm   Permalink

Awesome water feature. Do you have fish in the pond?

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-06-03 9:05 pm   Permalink

I love the roof waterfall, how many gph is the pump rated and how did you make the delivery side of the falls?

Storm

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-03 10:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-03 12:31, TikiAno wrote:
dtel, the roof waterfall is fantastic- great effect and an easy way to cool off when it gets too hot (the "head dip"). If you can, would love to see some photos from the inside looking out through the waterfall. Eventually would be cool to get some light shining through the water as it falls.

Keep it up!

I thought about trying to light it, probably need to look at it at night to figure it out. it would be nice if it lit it up but did not shine in your eyes, just the water, good idea.

When I took this it was late in the evening, in person it looks like a lot more water. I only had a couple of pictures because it has rained here for the last week, I set it up in between rains.

I did mulch the garden to keep down the weeds, it is not finished by far.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-06-03 22:25 ]

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-03 10:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-03 13:46, jimsflies wrote:
Awesome water feature. Do you have fish in the pond?

No fish yet, probably just a couple of Koi, at one time we bred koi so we like them. We have some at least 2'-3' in the big pond in the back yard it's 1.5 acres and it's where we put the breeding koi when we quit.

Sad, We bred and raised koi and I have no baby's since we quit a few years ago, I have to go buy some and I know they will probably not look so great.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-06-03 22:31 ]

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-03 10:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-03 21:05, stormrider wrote:
I love the roof waterfall, how many gph is the pump rated and how did you make the delivery side of the falls?

Storm

Thanks, after looking at pump prices I went with a cheap model from harbor freight, I usually don't deal with them because some of the stuff is junk but I didn't want to spend a lot on this pump, it's not like it will be running a lot of hours or continuously like the waterfall pumps we used in the past.

It's 2600 GPH with a head of 26', but not at that volume.

I just used a short flexible pool hose connected to 1" pvc, I ran the pvc up the back right pole, up the slope of the roof and down the length of the roof about a foot from the peak. For the length where it was to drip I just drilled holes, I guess about 1/8" every couple of inches with a cap on the end of the pipe. I tried it along that bench pumping back into the pond and it seemed like the holes were big enough. I didn't know how much pressure it would loose pumping up to the peak so I left it like that.

I did add a ball valve in the line behind the pole so it can be slowed down to a slow drip off the roof, but I like full speed.

pump from HF

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-horsepower-submersible-dirty-water-pump-with-float-69300.html

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-06-03 22:47 ]

VampiressRN

Posted: 2014-06-03 10:49 pm   Permalink

I agree with everyone, that roof line water feature is fabulous. I'm going to be sure Vic sees this as I know he will really appreciate it. Keep up the great work. TIKITIKI

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-03 10:57 pm   Permalink

I didn't realize it but it has come a long way, I was looking at older pics and seen this.

It was taken 6-19-2013, a little bit short of 1 year ago. I had no idea what it was going to be at the time except a place to sit in the shade with a garden around it.

Then I found TC, it's not tiki yet but one day It will be, but it is a good place to relax.

My wife says where are you going, out to your office, probably because I am usually out there laying in a hammock listening to music.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-06-03 23:29 ]

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-03 11:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-03 22:49, VampiressRN wrote:
I agree with everyone, that roof line water feature is fabulous. I'm going to be sure Vic sees this as I know he will really appreciate it. Keep up the great work. TIKITIKI

Thank You

I have to ask are you a nurse ? I only ask because I have a lot of respect for nurses, our daughter is a RN and I know it's a very tough job.

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-04 08:12 am   Permalink

Do you have any tips for making the pvc bamboo? I'm working on some right now and it seems to take forever! I've got 40 feet done and waiting for the shellac, but still have about 80 feet to go.

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-04 11:02 am   Permalink

I read about it here on TC but did it a little different.

I didn't like the idea of using a razor knife to make the joints so I did it on a table saw. I set the blade where it just made a tiny cut probably only 1/3 through the thickness of the pipe at most. It mad it a little faster.

I burned the joints with the torch as everyone else did but also burned a little in between joints to add more marks to try to make it look more real. If you look back at the pic's the bar it has these marks but the stand for the sink does not, I wanted it a little different, the bar is 2" the sink is 1 1/2".

After burning I sanded the whole pipe with #60 sand paper which roughed up the whole thing and made the joints look like that. I just then wiped off the powder from sanding with a damp rag and let it dry a little. Like everyone I used amber shellac, one coat and another after that dried, 2 coats got about the color I wanted.

Both the bar and the sink is pipe cut in half on the table saw. (after burning but before the shellac) Being cut in half it went twice as far and looks fine since you couldn't see the other half anyway.
With the amber shellac just brush it on fast and keep moving it dries really fast and don't go back over it or it will make drag marks, I just left the drips and all, in the end you don't notice any of it and it gives the perfect color. imo

I did use a piece of 2" not cut to hold the metal 3' overhang on the back of the bar and it's plenty strong enough for it and looks better than wood for that. I think one of the pic's shows that behind the bar.

Since then I used a 3/4" piece in two places to run wires in for lights, speakerwires and the ceiling fans, this way the wires are hidden and it looks like bamboo. One it the amber color and another in a different place for the fans is green paint also with the burned joints. I also did short pieces to cover the extension poles holding the fans just for looks.

I don't think there is a faster way to make the bamboo that I know of, the saw helped. if you don't have a table saw just try anything that can make a good scar around the pipe.

Whatever you do, DO NOT breath any fumes when your burning the pipe it's really bad as you will find out!

The sign in the pic was a present from my niece from there trip to St Thomas.

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-05 10:13 am   Permalink

Wow, great bar! Somehow, I missed this thread. You're a talented craftsman! The bamboo, the fountain, the bar and stools; all of it just blows me away. I love the way you are trying to steer into a more "authentic" look as well. Keep up the good work! As you say, it needs some tikis. May I suggest you give carving one a try? You seem to have a very artistic touch. There are a lot of great examples in the carving forum.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-05 5:10 pm   Permalink

Wow, I love that roof waterfall idea. Good stuff!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-19 12:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-05 10:13, TheBigT wrote:
As you say, it needs some tikis. May I suggest you give carving one a try? You seem to have a very artistic touch. There are a lot of great examples in the carving forum.

Well thank you, I really want to try carving some tikis I need to find something to try it on, a piece of tree trunk or something, all I have are poles and they are had as nails.

And to be honest I am nervous about trying carving, it doesn't help looking at some of the great looking tikis people here have carved.

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-12 3:50 pm   Permalink

Just an update; no tikis yet
Really just to show how far a single pack of Morning Glory seeds can go for a total of $1.39.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-08-12 15:51 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation