FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars New member, new build and new to Tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
New member, new build and new to Tiki
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-16 10:02 pm   Permalink

Just realized I did add the back shelf to the bar since the last pics. I have been running the orbital sander hard, it's like a 2' wide counter 28' long between the top 16' and bottom 13'.

I hate sanding even more now but the wife keeps saying, "you know it's the most important part" which does not make it any more fun. This was after sanding twice with 60 grit and once with 125, still going to go again with 220 to finish it off.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2013-09-16 22:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2013-09-16 22:10 ]

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-05 10:48 am   Permalink

Still here just slow progress but it's moving along.

The front of the bar is covered and sanding the top is done, except between coats.

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-05 10:51 am   Permalink

3 sealer coats and 2 normally thinned coats of marine spar varnish, a few more coats and the top will be done.

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-05 11:01 am   Permalink

I didn't want to take up space behind the bar with a sink so we made it freestanding, plus we have grandkids around so it will be more handy for use for everyone out there to be in a more central place. It's an old time porcelean style my son in law had laying around and donated.

This space will be used a lot for everything from birthday parties to regular parties so were trying to make in convienent. I say used a lot because they are already planning parties and different ways it can be used, the grandkids already want the birthday parties out there.

This is not finished, just roughly sitting in place to see if will work there. Next step building bar stools and seating.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2013-10-05 11:03 ]

TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-10-05 11:06 am   Permalink

Looking good!

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-05 11:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-11 20:04, VampiressRN wrote:
I agree...you are lucky to have that much space...the sky is the limit!!! Welcome to Tiki Central and best of luck with your "hut". Once you get started it will be addictive.

I now understand, it is very addictive you are right.

The more I do the more ideas I get, already have plans for a pond and other things like covering the inside roof and the ends.

One day I will get around to actually trying to make a few tiki's, I am saving this for later I don't want to get discouraged early on.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-05 9:35 pm   Permalink

Lookin good bruddah
Cheers

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-08 11:55 am   Permalink

Lookin' good! I just LOVE that bar top!!!!

Can't see what you do next.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-08 12:13 pm   Permalink

That circular bar is the bomb! Nicely done.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-08 12:38 pm   Permalink

Very, very cool! Your climate there is practically tropical...you could add more typical ornamental tropical foliage, and they would thrive...Philodendrons, palms, bamboo....etc. bet you could also install some sort of lava rock streams, fountains, waterfalls, etc..you clearly have the space.

Love the circular bar...expert quality work!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-08 8:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone.

I definitely want a pond along one side and the area around the hut has only been planted with some trees, other plantings are needed for sure. We do get in the teens and twenties at night with a cold winter so I can't go with everything I want. The fence line behind the bar in the pic is clumping bamboo, we have it bordering almost three sides of this 6 acres, probably over 500' long.
We did landscaping for almost 20 years and have grown impatient with plants that freeze easily, but wanting some tropical looking plants will force me to deal with it.

I need some bar stools for sure, probably what's next. I have a really long way to go but I really like the idea of going slow, (not that I have a choice) I keep getting other ideas the more time I spend out there.

Tipsy Yeti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-09 4:56 pm   Permalink

WOW, Awesome Bar!!!!!

View Profile of Tipsy Yeti Send a personal message to Tipsy Yeti  Email Tipsy Yeti Goto the website of Tipsy Yeti     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hottiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-09 5:25 pm   Permalink

I'm sure the Drinks are going to taste a lot better coming off from a Bar like that !!! Really nice work all around !!

View Profile of hottiki Send a personal message to hottiki  Email hottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-10 10:35 pm   Permalink

I can't wait to try it out, going to take a break from the varnishing for a little while, that's 3 coats @ 50 thinner and 5 coats thinned @ 25%. I found some good info on how to do it here......

http://www.woodworking.com/ww/Article/All-About-Oil-Based-Varnish-7519.aspx

I did hang a hammock between a couple of the poles, very relaxing, ever more with a good drink which I have yet to try !

Were leaving on a cruise Sunday, while gone I am going to look for some different ideas, not Tiki in the Caribbean but lots of other thatch covered structures and bamboo, ya never know ?

The hammock we have now is from Roatan Honduras, going to look for a couple more while there considering they were around $15 and comfortable. I put hooks in the poles so the hammocks can be removed and not permanent.

Masher88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-20 08:29 am   Permalink

Wow! I love that circular bar! That is beautiful! Nice work!

View Profile of Masher88 Send a personal message to Masher88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation