FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars New member, new build and new to Tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
New member, new build and new to Tiki
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-01 4:39 pm   Permalink

Turned out great!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-01 5:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-01 13:45, Zinctiki wrote:
Looks great! You're lucky to have free bamboo to work with! I'm sure some more crafty ideas will come along for its use as well. If it dries to brown relatively fast I'd be cutting a bunch for trim work, tiki lights, shelving, just about anything 3/4" would be good for. And that bar rocks!

Thanks everybody

I was going to cut some extra and look for ways to use it. I was thinking lighting but will have to look for some designs I like and could actually make, some look way past what I could do. I like the shelf idea, behind the bar would work well, good idea.

What is missing from this clump is about 2/3 of what is in the roof. I wanted to cut the rest of that clump so it will grow back like it should so I will just cut and let the rest dry. I would think I should tie them up so they will dry straight ?

Average size is 3/4" with many 1", this clump is about 25' tall. All the other bamboo I have is 3/4" at the most.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2013-12-01 17:15 ]

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-01 6:38 pm   Permalink

I love the bamboo on the roof! Add me to the list of people who are jealous of your crop. I'm sure you'll find tons of crafty things you can do with it. I know to you it seems like things are going slowly but it seems to be moving along nicely to me. By this spring/summer you'll have a whole new space!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-01 9:02 pm   Permalink

Your right, it does seem like it's going slow. I guess it just feels like that because it takes just as long to cut and clean the bamboo as it did to put it in the roof.

Before it was cut it looked like this, it's in the back yard so it can grow back without leaving anything bare, it will look different for a while but there are plenty new shoots.

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-02 10:46 am   Permalink

that does look great now that it's complete

-Longboard

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-02 11:36 am   Permalink

Well I did have time to work on some barstools on wet days or when I got tired of messing with bamboo.
I did 5 so far and have 3 more to do, they are industrial strength, I hate to remake things because they fall apart. The tops swivel and so far they are just coated with linseed oil, thought a finish like the top of the bar would be a little slippery.

dtel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-02 11:47 am   Permalink

The bottom of the pole for the stool is cut into a 4x4 so the feet are strong.

dtel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-10 8:46 pm   Permalink

Used the advice, Thanks, bundled the rest up and hung it to dry, hope it works OK, I will find out later.

Trader Gino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-11 05:49 am   Permalink

Love the way everything looks, but boy that roof takes it! Awesome work!

View Profile of Trader Gino Send a personal message to Trader Gino  Goto the website of Trader Gino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-11 9:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-02 11:36, dtel wrote:
Well I did have time to work on some barstools on wet days or when I got tired of messing with bamboo.
I did 5 so far and have 3 more to do, they are industrial strength, I hate to remake things because they fall apart. The tops swivel and so far they are just coated with linseed oil, thought a finish like the top of the bar would be a little slippery.

dtel - love your place. Do you have any progress pictures for the build you did on the stools? Would love to see how they came together. Great work! Mahalo.

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-11 10:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks
I did not take any pics of those going together.I have these three still to do so I will take some as I put them together.

The poles are about 8" and cut to get the finished height when you add the swivel and seat. That is a 4" square cut into the end of the pole to give plenty room to screw on the legs to be really strong.

These poles were power poles taken down by hurricane Katrina as were the poles for the hut = free, my favorite kind.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2013-12-11 22:32 ]

SoCal Savage
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-12 11:13 am   Permalink

Awesome! You've captured a witco-esque look with them.

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-17 5:34 pm   Permalink

[/quote]

dtel - love your place. Do you have any progress pictures for the build you did on the stools? Would love to see how they came together. Great work! Mahalo.
[/quote]

OK

This is the feet, they are 12" long and the height of a 2x6. The pole was cut out to leave a 4" square in the middle.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2013-12-17 18:21 ]

dtel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-17 6:01 pm   Permalink

The next piece is a 2x4 width cut to a point 7" long. Countersunk holes where 3"long screws go into the pole. 8 total around the pole.

dtel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-17 6:08 pm   Permalink

Next is a footrest, make a square to fit around a pole, these are 8 1/4" screwed together and slid on the pole. They are screwed to the pole from underneath, I didn't want to screw through the top of the footrest but it does sit on it for strength. These are rounded off on the corners and the edges are rounded off with a router to smooth off the edges.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation