FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars New member, new build and new to Tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
New member, new build and new to Tiki
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-17 6:19 pm   Permalink

The top is a 2x12 cut square, rounded off points and routed on the edges. I didn't like the way it looked, the top needed to be thicker especially with everything else so heavy. So I ripped a 2x4 with one edge on an angle. Like this.

It get's screwed and glued to the underside edge of the top. It makes it look thicker and a different look being curved under a little. The swivel is screwed to the pole and then to the seat.

Every thing is sanded and burned, then wiped down with Linseed oil. Heavy duty stools, they will not blow over in a high wind.

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-18 2:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the build pics dtel!

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-18 4:00 pm   Permalink

Your welcome, now I have enough, 7 for the front of the bar and one for the back.

I am happy that part is over, the first few were fun, the fun wore off way before I was finished with the eight one.

On to the next project.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2013-12-18 21:45 ]

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-20 2:21 pm   Permalink

Those stools are so Witco! Nice job. Man, that place is gonna look great.

Regarding curing the boo, your area is fairly humid so you might want to roast some over an open fire, Japanese style, wearing gloves and wiping away the resin as it rises. That is if you need it soon, otherwise it should be cured in a few weeks to a couple of months.

View Profile of Zinctiki Send a personal message to Zinctiki  Email Zinctiki Goto the website of Zinctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-20 11:08 pm   Permalink

Thanks, no rush but I did read somewhere about the fire thing, I might have to try some just to see if it comes out different. The bamboo I put in the roof is starting to turn brown already, I kind of liked the green but I am getting use to the way the brown looks.

I really don't know about Witco, from reading here I have seen a few things but not enough to have any idea what to look for. This is all new to me really, I will end up with something just not sure what, I do like what I see reading here.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2013-12-20 23:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2013-12-20 23:28 ]

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-20 11:42 pm   Permalink

Next project started.

Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-21 11:36 am   Permalink

A lagoon!

I'd recommend one of Sven's books if you're interested in Witco. Some of us lived through the era, my neighbors had scads of Witco objects in the '60s, but I don't know how someone might react if there wasn't a nostalgia factor. I suppose it's probably been called Mid-Century Primitive before, but that pretty much sums it up IMO.

View Profile of Zinctiki Send a personal message to Zinctiki  Email Zinctiki Goto the website of Zinctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-21 6:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-21 11:36, Zinctiki wrote:
A lagoon!

I'd recommend one of Sven's books if you're interested in Witco. Some of us lived through the era, my neighbors had scads of Witco objects in the '60s, but I don't know how someone might react if there wasn't a nostalgia factor. I suppose it's probably been called Mid-Century Primitive before, but that pretty much sums it up IMO.

I have looked at them, probably order one, which is best for general Tiki info ?

To be honest I loved some of what they call Witco and some not so much, I have seen a very limited amount of it just reading here.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2013-12-21 18:26 ]

Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-23 2:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-21 18:22, dtel wrote:

I have looked at them, probably order one, which is best for general Tiki info ?

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2013-12-21 18:26 ]

I like Tiki Modern best, it's about half general tiki info and half Witco. The Book Of Tiki is more urban archeology, which probably isn't so much of what you're looking for. Just perusing the Home Tiki Bar thread here should bring scads of decor ideas.

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-05 6:40 pm   Permalink

Slow progress with the holidays, but I did get one side of the pond a little closer to being done.

I put another layer of railroad ties on top of the first and with steel plates screwed it all together and to the poles so it's very solid. Two treated 2x12x12 finished the top, it makes almost a 24' long bench with the pond right on the other side.

I am trying to decide what to put from the bench top down to cover the railroad ties, got a couple of ideas.

A little later I need to finish off the rock side of the pond, I have the rocks but it's been really wet around here.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-01-05 18:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 2014-01-14 21:56 ]

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-05 7:08 pm   Permalink

We did have a bunch of people here for New years eve, we had a fire outside the hut behind where the bar is and it worked out great. Probably the new fire pit area.

I quickly found out I need more seating so being I love to build things I decided to build two round tables. Each table is the same height as the bar and 32" wide, as much as the stools were boring to build after the first 8 I need 6 more, I want to put 3 of the same kind of barstools by each table.

They can be moved around anywhere to fit how people want to sit, the more I thought about it I wanted them portable, they can even be moved out of the way if needed. Will probably put the same clear finish on top as on the top of the bar, could always dress them up a little later on ?

I did only one table so far just to see if I would like it. It's easy to move and sturdy so on with the plan.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-01-05 19:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-01-05 19:15 ]

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-14 10:33 pm   Permalink

Just a pic from the Christmas holidays.

Edit; I don't know why but the pic is blurry, tried it 3 times and even switched pics, it looks fine until I posted it ?

[
[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-01-14 22:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-01-14 22:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-01-14 22:45 ]

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-15 4:34 pm   Permalink

Blurry but still looks cool. Look forward to seeing more- those stools are still fantastic- I may "borrow" the base of them for some belly bars (high bar tables) I'm working on now...

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-15 5:48 pm   Permalink

I surely couldn't say anything, I borrowed them from a bar in Belize.

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-05 09:27 am   Permalink

Ok a little more progress, rocks on the pond done.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation