FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » New member, new build and new to Tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
New member, new build and new to Tiki
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 10:07 pm   Permalink

Dtel,
I live minutes away from Oceanic Arts. My tiki haunt has a mix of O/A, yard and estate sale finds,thrift and antique store loot and “stuff “ I’ve made or repurposed. Stuff that’s most satisfying to me is the things that I’ve made myself.
Looks to me like you’re gonna have a real gem when you get near completion cuz you’re well on your way. I like your router work. Btw, everybody on this site knows that building a tiki bar/lounge is never complete.
Keep the pix flowing.
Cheers from L A.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-26 08:32 am   Permalink

Lookin great.....
Wish we had something in our back yard
The wind here is craZy (Vegas)
Speaking of wind, it was bad last night
Time to go out and locate my outdoor furniture...
It's likely in a neighbors yard or down the street

Then I get to spend an hour getting all my neighbors leaves out of my pool

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-26 09:31 am   Permalink

Thanks

I would love to visit Oceanic Arts, tried to look online they don't have a great website to see what they have. I would die of old age looking at yard sales here for anything tiki here, have seen some old stuff at antique stores but not tiki, well not the tiki I need.

I'm not going to give up, it will happen, probably not fast but I will get some tiki's.

One of the grandkids asked what I was going to do next when I finished the bar, I said there is a lot of places to hang things and add things so it may never be done, she looked around and agreed.

We like the space already and it's only going to get better. Everyone who stops by over heads straight over there, even the mail lady wanted to see it.

Want to hear something funny.......We live in a dry county !

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-03-26 09:35 ]

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-26 6:45 pm   Permalink

dtel, your build looks awesome. Your router work looks good to me- just keep routing and your skills will naturally improve. Whether you have tikis or not, you've created a killer bar space that all are impressed by. Congrats- and keep posting photos.

I like the hidden speaker in the netting!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-26 8:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks, when routing those little boards I learned a lot but have much more to learn. I do like tikis a lot but have just been building and other stuff and never tried it. It's going to be a whole other experience trying that,

I see many ruined pieces before anything worth keeping. I love the way they look but the ones I like are done by people with experience so all I can do is practice.

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-26 8:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-26 08:32, hang10tiki wrote:
Lookin great.....
Wish we had something in our back yard
The wind here is craZy (Vegas)
Speaking of wind, it was bad last night
Time to go out and locate my outdoor furniture...
It's likely in a neighbors yard or down the street

Then I get to spend an hour getting all my neighbors leaves out of my pool

Jon

What caused the high winds ? We get high winds with cold fronts or thunderstorms normally and much worse for hurricanes, for those if above a 1-2 we leave.

MissClaireTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-26 9:40 pm   Permalink

Love the outside space you have, you seem very handy and creative. Please keep updating and who knows maybe one day soon you'll have a tiki oasis.

[ This Message was edited by: MissClaireTiki 2014-03-26 21:42 ]

View Profile of MissClaireTiki Send a personal message to MissClaireTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-02 10:25 pm   Permalink

Just an update, bamboo is growing back nicely.

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-02 10:40 pm   Permalink

Two outdoor ceiling fans were added b4ecause the heat is on it's way.

Also a submersible pump to move some water. Not really wanting a fountain or a waterfall like the garden that this replaced I went a little different.

OK a lot different, the pump moves the water through a 1" pipe up to close to the peak of the roof. The pipe runs the length of the roof with holes drilled every couple of inches. It runs down one side back into the pond. There is a ball valve to slow it down if needed, it comes off pretty heavy and can get really loud.

Thinking it may even help cool off the roof ? Well it's different if nothing else.

In person It looks much heaver than in the pic.

Nothing else planted yet and no tikis yet either.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-06-02 22:43 ]

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-02 10:58 pm   Permalink

Oh, that's awfully fun! I hope you find the tiki of your dreams. Where I live it's the opposite problem: everyone here knows that tiki is worth something, so the thrift stores are picked over and the antique malls have big price tags. I've gotten most of my better stuff through dumb luck, which is really just persistence. You might find you have luck taking a road trip somewhere, you might just need fresh hunting grounds! Is Craigslist an option where you are?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-03 07:30 am   Permalink

Love your roof fountain. The shrubbery looks good too.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-03 07:45 am   Permalink

OMG! Officially added roof fountain to my "that's frick'n awesome" list

-Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-03 08:35 am   Permalink

Roof fountain is bad ass!

-Longboard

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-06-03 08:48 am   Permalink

dtel, that is an amazing looking place!

I don't know if you want a nautical look to your tiki bar, but are there any nautical antique shops close to you? If not, it's a good excuse to take a trip to the Gulf Coast. Coastal antique malls would be a good place to look.
The Mississippi coast was a popular place for rum runners from the Caribbean to unload their merchandise during Prohibition.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-03 09:57 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone, I got the idea from two places, one was a yard we landscaped years ago that had a fake lava rock area for the pump room with a rock looking area hanging out to the pool which was a covered patio area. It was the return for the pool pump that had a ledge that fell from the roof back into the pool.

The other was a tiki lounge I read about (maby here) that had a fake roof inside which had rain falling off into the pond with an artificial thunderstorm. I read about it somewhere ?

I have no problem with nautical things just never found anything yet except one tiny porthole looking thing which was way overpriced for how it looked which was nothing special. Every time we go somewhere I am on the lookout along with my wife, especially for tiki, it will happen, probably when I least expect it.

Yes I do look on craigslist but nothing yet, I do have to say there is no shortage of strange people on craiglist.

I did order 3 banana trees which are cold hardy for the garden, they are in pots until they get a little rooted before planting.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-06-03 10:03 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation