Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music We Like Both Kinds of Music
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
We Like Both Kinds of Music
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-17 06:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-17 05:08, Mr. Ho wrote:
Totally agree w/ OnyaBirri. Check out some Ottorino Respighi and his tone poems. Big inspiration for me as a composer. if we ignore the design of the album cover and just listen to the music, I think the "beginning" is definitely another gray area of exotica and up to the listener to decide for themselves!

mr. ho

There was a great locked thread where we discussed the classical to exotica influence:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=36033&forum=11&vpost=521760&hilite=debussy

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-17 08:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-16 21:26, bigbrotiki wrote:
PLUS it casts a similarly wide net as the modern Exotica revival does, by not only including orchestral stylings like Henry Mancini and Andre Kostelanetz, but also Hawaiiana, Latin, and the Space Age sounds of Russ Garcia.

I would argue this point. Nothing casts as wide a net as today's exotica revival does. Today's "exotica" revival includes punk, garage rock, new wave, surf and country....(or at least there are many bands where those styles are the main influence, and not really exotica...except in the use of "tiki" imagery) yet manages to exclude hawaiiana completely. The irony of disregarding some of this source material is frustrating to me.

As I always say, tiki people say they like exotica....but some times I doubt how much....if you have to water down and dillute something to make it more easily digested......

Some times I compare it to the 90's swing revival....as seen in the movie "swingers".....to me, those bands (like Big bad Voodoo Daddy) were only copying the kitsche excess of the big band era (the wild gene krupa/buddy rich style drumming, zoot suits, etc) hyping the crime jazz aspects while ignoring a lot about what made the original big band music great.....

my two cents, of course.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrFab
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-17 10:51 am   Permalink

Well, that's what I'm talking about - the wide net of the term exotica. That's why I don't really understand the need for the 'jungle' and the 'tiki' distinction. It's all exotica to me. Just as I don't get the dif between all of those alleged sub-genres of metal, or techno. Like when I was a kid, it was all New Wave. What the hell's the dif between "chillwave,' 'dark wave,' 'minimal synth' etc? (Don't answer that, I'm being rhetorical!)

(Oh, and much thanks for that article, and the Stan Kenton tip)

View Profile of MrFab Send a personal message to MrFab  Goto the website of MrFab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-17 11:27 am   Permalink

Oh, one more thing....Sven pointed out mancini..

If you are into tiki and want to check out Mancini, the soundtrack to the movie Hatari is amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKJzMzf7TVE

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-17 2:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-17 10:51, MrFab wrote:
Well, that's what I'm talking about - the wide net of the term exotica. That's why I don't really understand the need for the 'jungle' and the 'tiki' distinction. It's all exotica to me. Just as I don't get the dif between all of those alleged sub-genres of metal, or techno. Like when I was a kid, it was all New Wave. What the hell's the dif between "chillwave,' 'dark wave,' 'minimal synth' etc? (Don't answer that, I'm being rhetorical!)

(Oh, and much thanks for that article, and the Stan Kenton tip)

I also find the Sub Genre & Sub,Sub Genre labels baffling, how many kinds of "Metal" are they?

Slow Metal,Speed Metal,Thrash Metal,Progressive Metal,Black Metal,Death Metal,Grindcore,Doom Metal,Folk Metal
Melodic Death Metal,Nu Metal,Metalcore,Gothic Metal,Post-Metal,Stoner Metal,Hardcore,Mathcore,Ambient Black Metal
Deathcore,Groove Metal,Brutal Death Metal,Industrial Metal,Alternative Metal,Post-Hardcore,Power Metal
Sludge Metal,Thrash Metal,Symphonic Metal,Technical Death Metal,Modern Melodic Death Metal & Heavy Metal!

I saw all these labels in a local record store
WTF! & I hate METAL, but that's just me, I even saw "Folk Punk" what an oxymoron! (now I am angry!)
one cancels the other out! this cannot exist, I need my meds!

Damn you Lucas! I blame you for this! you damn dirty Ape! No Hope! there is no hope......

Edited for excessive ranting and also to remove some drool.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-09-17 14:51 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-17 3:53 pm   Permalink

I am a sociopath, what do you expect!

White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-09-18 05:16 am   Permalink

Quote:
WTF! & I hate METAL, but that's just me...

No, it's not just you. It's been a colossal joke since "Spinal Tap" was filmed.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-18 06:04 am   Permalink

Agreed. That movie was the final nail in the coffin for me, as regards listening to rock music.

The whole "I would like to perform an acoustic set of my solo songs with the London symphony orchestra" was enough to kill it for me.

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-18 09:58 am   Permalink

:-/
Haters

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-18 12:37 pm   Permalink

So Jeff from that list, what kinds of Metal do you like?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-18 12:52 pm   Permalink

I know you are not asking me.....but let me put my answer out there:

In the late 70's early 80s, while I was more into prog rock, new wave and punk then anything else...I had a soft spot in my heart for AC/DC and Priest....

The 80's glam rock/hair farmer/ LA Scene put me off completely. Never understood it, or why anyone else would like it!

Since then, the style has fractured into too many sub-styles to even keep track of. The ultra modern prog and math metal...is ruined by the addition of "cookie monster" style vocals....even though the music itself might be thematically interesting.

On another forum I used to be a member of, a forum for bassists...many of us would argue with the young metal heads who were always touting modern metal...I tried to keep an open mind and listen to the links they posted....

Only a few bands struck me as being listenable......most were in a style called "Djent"....which features ultra low-tuned instruments and a peculiar staccato delivery......I found a few bands I actually liked, one being "Animals as leaders"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_-0AS1G25I

I like a few of their songs because they remind me of RUSH. The guitarist is probably one of the best out there, and they are 100% intrumental....this is music I sometimes play in my car when I am off to the gym...to get me amped up and ready to lift.

But to get back on subject, I agree there are too many distinctions in music....

I don't separate Tiki or exotica out from other styles from that era as much as some do. To me, it's all "mid century easy listening music derived from Jazz".

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2013-09-18 12:53 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation