FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » is this valuable??
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
is this valuable??
yamaha6611

Posted: 2013-09-12 1:47 pm   Permalink

hey, I found this tiki mug way back when I was a kid. I just thought it was cool, so I kept it..

there was a show on tv called "things remembered" or something like that, but in the beginning of the show, one time... this exact tiki mug was shown for a split second... i have never been able to find out any information about it though...

View Profile of yamaha6611 Send a personal message to yamaha6611      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 1:51 pm   Permalink

Nope......

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-09-12 2:22 pm   Permalink

It's unusual, but probably not highly valued by collectors for a few reasons:

* There's no sculptural detail to it. It's all hand painted.
* It likely isn't associated with any popular locations, such as Trader Vic's.
* It looks to be somewhat damaged.

Keep it as a pen cup, and enjoy it!

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 3:24 pm   Permalink

It looks similar to the Blaisdell Pottery Native American/canada/Alaskan Totem pole style mugs..... you might try researching that.

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-12 5:21 pm   Permalink

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=1685

It's a hobbyist piece, however I've seen a great number of them made in exactly those glaze colors, so somebody other than a hobbyist made a great many of them.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 5:50 pm   Permalink

ErichTroudt hit it on the mark, it is not Tiki, but based on a Pacific Northwest Indian Totem
Sascha Brastoff (This is not one of his) did many Indian Art ceramics that get mistaken for "Tiki" designs.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-09-12 17:52 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-15 11:19 am   Permalink

It is made by Victoria Ceramics Japan. It is not a hobbyist mug. I've only seen originals such as your example. It is a redware piece that is fired once? for the gloss brown color then cold painted for the facial features.
EDIT: I believe Blaisdales are fired more than once. I'm no ceramist so the firing part could be better explained by someone else.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2013-09-15 11:25 ]

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-15 6:22 pm   Permalink

Just picked up one to match other pieces in the set I have. Totem pole for sure but I love them.

View Profile of tikidon Send a personal message to tikidon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-15 7:52 pm   Permalink

Well I'd say that settles that.....cocktail time.

Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-16 5:16 pm   Permalink

Here are my pieces.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-16 5:33 pm   Permalink

Here is one on ebay. Seems like a high starting bid to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-60s-HAWAIIAN-TIKI-MUG-BAR-SQUARE-MULTI-COLOR-SUPER-RARE-POLYNESIAN-TAHTI-/200963803893?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eca604af5

Here is the smaller one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-Hawaiian-Brown-Tiki-Mug-Coffee-Mill-Cup-with-Handle-/231055461914?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cbfa8e1a

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2013-09-16 18:06 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-16 7:39 pm   Permalink

Another case of sellers not even knowing what they are selling or worth
eBay bitches.......

gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-03 4:29 pm   Permalink

Anyone think this is the mug pictured under Samoa Fog Cutter?

Image from Arkiva Tropika

gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-03 5:18 pm   Permalink

No, it is not a Tiki mug referred to above.

gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-03 7:51 pm   Permalink

I cropped them so it was easier to see what I was talking about. The menu is from The Beachcomber in Winnipeg.
Looks to me like the mug they are trying to depict.

Now, does that add tiki to it or reinforce the Pacific Northwest-ness?

Either way, I've avoided this one like the plague which is why I was surprise to see it on a menu.

gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation