FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Album Cover Art Swap - Deadline Dec 24th - It's Done!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
Album Cover Art Swap - Deadline Dec 24th - It's Done!!!
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-01 10:59 am   Permalink

You men are teaching me a lot. Mike, I'd forgotten that a mug could be made that way. Terrific, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-01 1:28 pm   Permalink

Ano- sweet
Will be fun to watch ya make it
Go big ...... Lol

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-01 3:48 pm   Permalink

Here's my next step on the Swap mug.

I like to think of this mug as having been made from nothing. It isn't a tiki that I've carved to make it fancy. It started as a plane tube and by carving, it turned into an album cover.

I glazed the inside in glossy black and gold.
On the outside I used pottery coat a flat black.

I let it sit until it dried.

Using wet paper towels I removed glaze from the surfaces that I wanted exposed.

Now I let this dry again for a day.

I want this mug to seem old.

I'm going to meet the MadDogMike deadline. Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-01 4:39 pm   Permalink

Wendy, that is turning out all kinds of awesome!!! That glaze technique really brings out the carved details, BRAVO!!!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-01 4:55 pm   Permalink

MDM, I did not know you could design a mug like that, very inspiring to me. Using a machete and getting paid for it is even better. Wendy your experience is really shining through on this one, the additions have really brought it to life!

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-01 6:18 pm   Permalink

Wendy- The Duke of Mad Dog is right, it does pop out the detail...
Cy-clorama I don't think cutting a mug in 1/2 with a chainsaw is a good idea...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-01 9:03 pm   Permalink

I finally chose an album cover...

Now I have it graphed...

& ready to start working on the design in needlepoint on 22 stitches to the inch canvas.

~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-02 3:56 pm   Permalink

Kele, cross-stich? Very cool!

Thanks guys. In the hands of a master like Babalu, the technique of sculpting solid and hollowing out can produce an amazing mug

A little more work on the Waitiki Moai

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-02 4:42 pm   Permalink

Kele- love that cover and idea. Can't wait to see more
Mad Dog- lookin good

Jon

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-02 8:38 pm   Permalink

MadDogMike now we'll all be missing Babalu. Good thing you are doing a great job too.

Kele, that's a terrific idea and a lot of work. Please keep us posted. Wendy

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-03 10:46 am   Permalink

Definitely missin' Babalu. Don't think I'll live long enough to ever get as talented as him

Added ears and did some work to the bottom of the mug.

Added a slab bottom then dimpled it in to make a "foot"

Textured it with some burlap to give it the canvas look. The burlap is nice and flexible, conforms to the surface much better than canvas would.

Not sure exactly how this texture will translate to glaze. Guess I should make a few test tiles while I'm at it.
I also noticed that somehow I lost his "forehead" so it looks a little different than the original album cover. The nostrils still need a little work.

I also "cheated" the proportions a bit to make him a bit larger, front to back, so that there is a big enough cavity to hold a decent drink

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-03 5:04 pm   Permalink

I like
A lot

On the way home from San Diego playin your album Mad Dog

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2013-11-03 19:02 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-03 9:51 pm   Permalink

I picked up a copy of that CD to go with the mug

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-04 11:46 am   Permalink

Wow that is so good. Wendy

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-04 4:32 pm   Permalink

Mike, wow, awesome stuff. I look forward to hearing the CD along with the mug. Sorry, Jon, you're disqualified since you already have the album.

Kele, look forward to seeing it progress!

Did a little more work today on Art Swap pieces- I forgot to take photos last time- here's what it looks like now. I think this version is a much more "mug-worthy" shaped drinking vessel. Carved in the bamboo:

Then cut in a Martin Denny (esque?) Moai which will take the place of the original subject on the Exotica album:

Had to patch one more hole, so it's drying out once again, will hopefully bisque fire it next week. All of the pencil lines will burn off when it's bisque fired.

My second option is an Exotica bowl. Instead of carving I plan on using glaze to detail the interior of the (badly) thrown bowl. Will see what happens. I drew a rough outline of the design onto the interior of the bowl:

I plan to use a solid glaze for the exterior of the bowl, though might (might) label it as "Exotica." Still TBD. The interior will be a mix of underglazes, tinted wax resist, as well as some "standard" glazes. Wish me luck.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation