FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Best Martinique Rum?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Best Martinique Rum?
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-16 5:48 pm   Permalink

The only Martinique rum I have in my collection is Niessen. I have made a bunch of Navy Grogs with it, but I am wondering if there are better Martinique rums for this cocktail. I searched a bunch, but no one had posted this topic yet (that I could find).

I have not been able to find to many Martinique Rums in my area (San Diego), so I bought the Niessen because it was the only one I had run across.

So my questions are:

What is the best Martinique rum in your opinion or your favorite?

&

What is the best for a Navy Grog? - I think I was just using the old TV recipe.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-16 7:41 pm   Permalink

I've never used a martinique rum in a navy grog.

did you mean to say in a Mai Tai?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-16 8:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-06 02:07, Squad 701 wrote:

Try this :

Navy Grog (Trader Vics)

1oz. Martinique Rum (J.Baly, St.James)
1oz. Jamaican Rum (Appleton VX/12yo)
3/4oz. Lime Juice.
1/2oz. Grapefruit Juice.
1/2oz. Sugar Syrup.
1/4oz. Pimento Allspice Dram (Berry Hill, St.Elizabeth)

Mixed and shaken with at least a double old-fashioned (Mai Tai) glass of crushed ice,
and whatever extra crushed ice is needed to top up your glass.

I was using this one. But I guess I should try it with a regular rum too.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-16 8:35 pm   Permalink

I think most folks use at least 3 oz rum in a navy grog, usually combining demerara with a jamaican dark or a gold. i make it sometimes with all demerara, or with pusser's. try that and see how you like the drink without martinique.

as for my favorite martinique, i've only had St James Ambre and Clement VSOP. Clement far smoother but far pricier. frankly, i like the haitian Barbancourt 3 star better than any martinique rum i've had thus far.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-16 9:45 pm   Permalink

I like Barbancourt a lot too. That is why I was asking about Martinique as well. I haven't found one that I liked too much. I was using this recipe because it was the one recipe that I could use this rum in and liked.

I tried Clement at Tiki Oasis and I didn't much care for it either. I could just be that I am not used to it. Next year I will probably drink it everyday.

TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-17 12:52 am   Permalink

Niessen Reserve Especial is one of the best rums I have, superior to Clement VSOP. It should be at over $70/liter. I just sip it and never mix it though. Which Niessen have you been using in the Navy Grog?

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-17 01:48 am   Permalink

Sorry, my auto correct changed the name. Neisson Agricole is the Martinique I have been using.

Also, yes Navy Grogs are great with Demerara rums. Just drank one with Lemonhart and El Dorado and it was great.

Looks like it cost me $45.

[ This Message was edited by: Lunavideogames 2013-09-17 01:54 ]

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-17 07:11 am   Permalink

I like agricole best in a Ti Punch, esp with raw agave nectar as the sweetener.

i think it mixes well with mango and ginger.

it makes a good hemingway daiquiri.

otherwise i really dont use agricole.

blueeyedtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-17 07:25 am   Permalink

I've only ever had Clement VSOP in my mai tais mixed with Appleton Estate 12 year. It was pretty good.

View Profile of blueeyedtiki Send a personal message to blueeyedtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-17 10:21 am   Permalink

The Neisson Eleve Sous Bois is top-shelf all the way. Tastes differ, naturally, but I think it's probably as good as anything else available, and better than a lot.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-09-17 2:46 pm   Permalink

Good post Here's my two cents...

Martinique rhums are a funny bunch - harder to get, more expensive & more 'distinctive' than other styles. Reviews seem to be polarised by people who enjoy them.

As a basis for comparison, I'd compare them to Jamaican rums (ie funky) but with a grassy taste Ive not experienced previously. IMO the 'grassy notes' are what you are seeking to 'control' & 'appreciate' when using this rum. Definately a 'try before you buy' style.

So far I've had Saint James Amber, Trois Riverias Blanc & Clement VSOP.

Saint James Amber is an odd rum IMO. It was my first agricole purchase - I should tried before I bought! The rum tastes fine until all the 'grassy' notes come at once in the after taste (not a good thing), Im not in love with it. With other flavours it's more drinkable, the after taste doesn't diminish much. I do use it in tiki recipes.

Trois Riveras Blanc is like a suped up white rum with grassy notes throughout the flavour (it's preferable to the Saint James Amber because it's not an after taste) It's got real 'tropical fruit notes' IMO, something Id not sensed much before. After I first tried it the flavour stayed on my mind... so I brought some The Beachbum Berry tiki recipes mainly call for 'aged Martinique rhum', IMO white agricoles are too funky for balanced tiki recipes, I usually make Ti Punch with it (where the point is that it is funky!)

Clement VSOP is a lot softer than the above two, the grassy notes are present throughout when drank neat but it's more refined. I have tried three times, 1st time I was underwhelmed (it was warmed & tasted like nothing), 2nd more like I have described (room temperature & more interesting), 3rd time was mixed in a $100 mai tai (a real luxury drink).

I make most of my drinks from the jamaican / demerara / puerto rican combos. I only make 4 cocktails with rhum agricoles - Ti Punch, Mai Tai, Three Dots & a Dash, Donga Punch... BUT... maybe I'd have 2/3 bottles of agricoles in my 'ideal collection' because:

I'd need an everyday mixer. Saint James Amber isn't to my taste, Barbancourt 5 star / 8 year is neither Martinique or technically agricole but comes highly recommended as similar in style. Hey ho

I've been unable to better the '$100 mai tai' combo to date so I might splash out for the VSOP & Shrubb reserved just for mai tais

Ti Punch is a made with unaged white rhum by locals so I'll experiment with a gold / aged rhum but probably stick with their 'traditional' choice

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-17 5:11 pm   Permalink

Good topic and good posts.

Rhum agricole is definitely an acquired taste, and one that lots of people never do acquire. I did not know what to make of that grassy vegetal flavor the first time I tried it. But similar to how I came to love the high ester funk of J Wray Overproof, I pretty quickly became addicted to rhum agricole.

I agree with the assessments that Clement VSOP is an all-around smoother rhum vieux than St. James Royal Ambre, but at almost twice the price here I much more frequently pick up the St. James. 'Ti Punch, Donga Punch, Three Dots & a Dash, and as a combo rum in a Mai Tai those are the four drinks I typically use Martinique rhum vieux for as well. I also do like 'Ti Punch with a rhum blanc Clement Premiere Canne is typically what is available, but I also developed a great appreciation for Rhum Bologne from Guadeloupe when a friend gave me a bottle (definitely the funkiest agricole I have tried yet). I use a teaspoon of cane syrup in a 'Ti Punch Blanc and just a half-teaspoon in a 'Ti Punch Vieux, and just a squeeze of the top or bottom of a lime slice. I also usually do the 'Ti Punch at room temperature without ice, but don't take offense when friends take it with ice.

For Sipping, I very much like both the Extra Old and the Hors d'Age from St. James, and Clement's Cuvee Homere is one of the best and most complex rums I have ever tasted (It had beter be for the $100+ price tag). Depaz is also quite spectacular very delicate for an agricole and probably the one that really got me hooked on the style.

I sadly have yet to try Rhum J.M. or Neisson. I also have my eyes on 6- and 10-year Clement expressions that have recently become locally available, but they are a tad pricey so maybe they will go on my Christmas wish list.

[ This Message was edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2013-09-17 17:13 ]

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-17 5:28 pm   Permalink

Try sipping St. James Royal Amber mixed 1:1 with Appleton 12 year. It smells and tastes great. Definitely a case where the sum is better than the individual parts.

I have both St. James Hors d'Age and Neissen Special Reserve. Both are great rhums that I reserve for sipping but I prefer the Neissen. It is a bit more expensive though.

[ This Message was edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-09-17 17:34 ]

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-17 7:33 pm   Permalink

Yes, very nice.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-17 9:08 pm   Permalink

If you can find it give 10 CANE from Trinidad a try. Although not technically an agricole it is made from sugar cane juice and has that 'grassy' taste to it. They did do something to the recipe a while ago but i can't remember what. They either started aging it in barrels for a while or mixing it with something but i'm not 100% sure.

It's another rum that is not that easy to get here and is above the $50 mark but i've always enjoyed it in a Mai Tai with a rum like Appletons as it just gives the Mai Tai a very unique flavour.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation