FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Best Martinique Rum?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Best Martinique Rum?
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-20 6:17 pm   Permalink

I found a bottle of Clement at the 4th store I went to today. I was surprised it didn't have the Apellation d’Origine Contrôlée Martinique label that Ministry of Rum spoke of. I mixed it with Appleton 12 and it was great. 10x better than the Neisson combo. I think the Neisson has too much of a "boozy" taste to it. It is not smooth and is the worst to sip by itself. Clement VSOP seems better and cheaper in that regard to me at least.

Actually I did see Clement X O rum, but I purchased all of the above for about the same as that bottle. I am curious to try it but I couldn't commit to $160 for a bottle today.

But I couldn't find any St James anywhere. Anyone out there know where we might find that in San Diego? I will try some stores up north next weekend and I am hoping I can find a bottle.

Has anyone tried this Clement X O? Does anyone know why it costs $160 a bottle? To me usually $60 is an expensive bottle if rum.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-20 6:32 pm   Permalink

I have not tried that Clement XO, and at $160 a bottle I won't be trying it any time soon. The Clement Homere Cuvee is almost as pricy, and I have only been fortunate enough to taste it because a local bar and restaurant inherited a bottle when they took over a failed joint that actually knew a thing or two about rum and stocked it. The new owners know nothing about rum and didn't k ow what to make if the Clement Homere Cuvee bottle they inherited, so they were selling approx. 3 oz. meadures for $10. I drank half a bottle at a rock bottom price and fell in love with a rum that I haven't been able to affore ever since.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-20 6:49 pm   Permalink

Duquesne is another rhum agricole from Martinique that you can buy in the U.S.

There is also a related rum from Guadaloupe: Damoiseau Rhum Agricole, which is owned by Clement.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-21 3:43 pm   Permalink

Sunny&Rummy, I am a bit confused regarding the difference between St. James Rhum Vieux and St. James Hors D'Age. The bottle pictured in this post came in the adjacent black box that states Rhum Vieux and has no mention of Hors D'Age. The bottle is clearly Hors D'Age as the top arch label states so while the bottom label states "Rhum Vieux Agricole". I know it's Hors D'Age because I have three other bottles in my inventory that I bought at other retailers and they are identical.

Then again, the St. James web site indicates that "Rhum Vieux" is a separate product and only available in Martinique. They even suggest drinking it with Coke!!! What a waste! I've had "St. James Extra Old". Maybe that's the same as "Rhum Vieux". Both have "Rhum Vieux Agricole" on their lower labels while the Royal Amber product states "Rhum Agricole Rum".

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-21 4:03 pm   Permalink

lunavideogames, you are comparing Neisson Eleve Sous Bois to Clement VSOP, right? I've never had Eleve Sous Bois so I can't comment on that but I love Neisson Reserve Special, the next one up the ladder. While Clement VSOP is a very good rhum I think Neisson Reserve Special is better but it costs significantly more. It's worth a try if you can find it. It's the third from the left in the picture below. The center bottle is Clement VSOP although the bottle differs from yours. Mine does state "Appellation Martinique Controlee". Perhaps you scored an older vintage!

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-21 6:03 pm   Permalink

TropicDrinkBoy, it certainly confises me as well. Mostly because I have seen domestic bottles of both The St James Extra Old and the Hors d'Age with the "Rhum Vieux" moniker on the label. As rhum vieux just means "old rum", that is certainly an accurate description of both of those US-distributed products. The confusion arises when "Rhum Vieux" is applied without further description on the Martinique-distributed product and without getting a bottle and doing a side-by-side-by-side comparison I'm just guessing. But based on bits of information from a few websites (including the St James site), I think the Martinique label is equivalent to our Extra Old and not the Hors D'Age.

Of course I could be totally wrong.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-21 6:56 pm   Permalink

TropicDrinkBoy, yes I was comparing those rums. Sadly the store that I originally bought the Neisson from no longer stocks it so I may have to wait until I can find a bottle of the special to do that comparison. I think the Neisson that I have just has a really strong alcohol burn straight away. That is my main problem with it.

The store where I got the two rums on the left of the picture at the top page seemed like they had been there for a long time. Actually, I pulled off the cork from the Port Morant (or Classic Rum? Which seems like a stupid name) it broke. Now I am waiting to finish another with a cork, before I try the Port Morant. It would be pretty cool if I did stumble onto some older rums.

TropicDrinkBoy, where are you located to have that great of a rum selection? I can't find all of those near me.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 01:01 am   Permalink

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. There are a few great liquor stores near me, my favorite being Beltramos, the best in Northern California. They have great prices and selection, and free shipping in California on orders of $250 or more. That might be of interest to you, lunavideogames, since I believe you're in San Diego. I also shop K&L and Cask, also in the Bay Area and all three sell on the Internet. I believe K&L also has a Hollywood store.

Of course no one carries old label Lemon Hart anymore. I bought two cases when they were being discontinued.

By the way, I save a variety of corks, especially if they have fancy wood tops, to save the day when I experience cork breakage!

[ This Message was edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-09-22 01:08 ]

djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-23 1:08 pm   Permalink

Here are the Martinique rhums in my collection, with one agricole from Guadeloupe thrown in for good measure.

I haven't tried all of them yet, but I like the Clement VSOP the best. I didn't care for the Depaz. The Neisson Blanc is rough, but works in cocktails. The aged versions of Neisson are much better, I think.

The Clement Creole Shrubb is a very interesting orange liqueur. Definitely worth trying.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-23 1:41 pm   Permalink

djmont, I'm surprised you didn't like the Depaz. It has been a couple of years since I have had it but I remember it was extremely sippable. It had some agricole earthiness to it but it did not have the rough edges that some of the more assertive agricoles have.

Now I am going to have to shell out for a bottle and go back and see if the Depaz is all I remember it to be or not.

djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-23 1:44 pm   Permalink

I should try it again. I haven't had it in a couple years. But my recollection is that I didn't care for it at all. (Enough so that I didn't even buy any when I saw it on closeout for $16 a bottle.)

But some people love it, including Paul Pacult.

tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-23 1:51 pm   Permalink

I love the Depaz and the Neisson Blanc. I wouldn't sip the Blanc, but it makes a great Ti Punch.

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-09-23 1:53 pm   Permalink

Hi all

Can you confirm if agricoles 'lose' their flavour after a few years open?

I ask because I tried Clement VSOP in a chinese restaurant & was very underwhelmed (near zero flavour). I tried it again (from a new bottle) & I could definitely taste a lot more flavour!

At the weekend I tried Rhum Barbancourt 3 star & again it tasted like nothing. I asked the bartender & he said most likely the bottle had been open a few years.

Both were neat, no other real variables (i.e. I've tried quite a few neat spirits & not had this variation between tastings)- any thoughts?

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-23 2:06 pm   Permalink

All spirits start to lose flavor (and alcohol content) once they're open, due to oxidation. The longer its open, the more it oxidizes.

At what point is it noticeable? People say 6 month, a year...It just depends.

I've never noticed any significant degradation of spirit in an open bottle. But I try not to have too many open at one time to avoid this.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-23 7:37 pm   Permalink

Take one of your low-end rums, put an ounce into a shot glass, and let it sit out overnight. You'll be surprised how much of the flavor disappears in just one night. I have some fairly strong liqueurs which I have poured into small sipping glasses and then carelessly forgot about until the next morning. In some instances I would say that as much as 90% of the flavor disappeared.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation