FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Best Martinique Rum?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Best Martinique Rum?
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-23 7:39 pm   Permalink

dude, your first pour was probably from a watered down bottle.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-23 10:06 pm   Permalink

Luna, I can't say that I've had the Clement VO but I did have a mai tai for my birthday made of Clement VO, Appleton 21, Creole Shrubb, Orgeat and juice of 1/2 a small lime. It was transcendent. My wife who doesn't care for mai tai's tasted it and thought it was wonderful. I asked Jason at Tacoma Cabana, where I had it, what rum gave it it's subtle but delightful spiciness and he said it was the VO. So all I can say is, if I could afford it I would have have this every week! The Cabana now has over 138 Rums with no bottom shelf or flavored rum (shameless plug). To compare my usual mai tai there is Appleton 12, Clement VSOP, Shrubb, orgeat, lime and this,(the VO mai tai), eclipsed it.

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-24 01:20 am   Permalink

Yes, I have been thinking about grabbing the bottle. I might have a fundraiser or something. Hopefully soon.

Sounds like a great Mai Tai. I usually like to use Barbancourt 15 in the Mai Tais I make myself. They turn out really well, but I would expect the expensive Clement Mai Tai to be amazing.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-09-24 12:12 pm   Permalink

Ministry of rum has a good thread on oxidisation: http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455

As a side note: Ministry Of Rum is a good site. The focus is more on the quality of rum with a bias towards sipping rums. Agricoles do feature quite a lot, lots of historic threads. Ed Hamilton is a gent & posts / replies to feedback quickly. Worth a lurk or joining up. Traffic is a bit slower than TC.

Quote:

On 2013-09-23 14:06, djmont wrote:
All spirits start to lose flavor (and alcohol content) once they're open, due to oxidation. The longer its open, the more it oxidizes...

I thought one of the 'things' that makes rhum agricole different is the field to factory process having to be shorter so the sugar cane doesn't oxidise. A quick google of 'rhum agrciole oxidisation' says about the necessity of speed in production but doesn't mention post bottling.

Im kind of used to the idea that flavour comes from the still & the molasses as that is what people talk about regarding jamaican & demerara rum. Maybe the freshness of the cane plays more of a role in agricole, creating the grassy flavour more than the stills?

Quote:

On 2013-09-23 19:37, AceExplorer wrote:
Take one of your low-end rums... and let it sit out overnight. You'll be surprised how much of the flavor disappears in just one night....I would say that as much as 90% of the flavor disappeared...

I decided to experiment with 2 tablespoons of the Appleton 12 / Saint James Amber mix (mentioned earlier in this thread). I left it on the side open to the air for about 10 hours while I was at work... the flavour isnt all the way lost (most likely as I used 50:50 jamaican / agricole). but AceExplorers statement is true... oxidisation isn't a myth!

I have bottles of spirits a year or more old that have no perceivable ill effects. I maintain it's not really a factor for most spirits (given an appropriate cap or cork) but maybe it is a more of a factor for agricoles.

At the weekend I spoke to a french bar manager, I had been hoping to see him & ask specifically about agricoles.

He said Trois Riveras good but expensive, La Mauny good, JM good, Depaz good, Saint James not good, Barbancourt the 15 was good the others he didn't know. His recommendation of an everyday mixer or sipper was Clement all the way

Im going to UK rumfest in 2 weeks & Im not buying anything between now & them so I can buy a few of the rums I think are 'best in show' - it's harder than expected!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-02 3:41 pm   Permalink

I did find a bottle of the St James Vieux at Cap n Cork in Hollywood. I didn't have a chance to try it in any drinks, but I did have a sip. So now I have 3 Martinique rums in my collection. So I can finally start to grade them on my tastes.
Quote:

On 2013-09-21 15:43, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
Sunny&Rummy, I am a bit confused regarding the difference between St. James Rhum Vieux and St. James Hors D'Age. The bottle pictured in this post came in the adjacent black box that states Rhum Vieux and has no mention of Hors D'Age. The bottle is clearly Hors D'Age as the top arch label states so while the bottom label states "Rhum Vieux Agricole". I know it's Hors D'Age because I have three other bottles in my inventory that I bought at other retailers and they are identical.

Then again, the St. James web site indicates that "Rhum Vieux" is a separate product and only available in Martinique. They even suggest drinking it with Coke!!! What a waste! I've had "St. James Extra Old". Maybe that's the same as "Rhum Vieux". Both have "Rhum Vieux Agricole" on their lower labels while the Royal Amber product states "Rhum Agricole Rum".

Looks like my St James is the same. Vieux on the box and Hors D'Age on the bottle. IDK if we will ever find an answer to that question...

So just as far as sipping these at room temperature with no ice, here is my judgment call.

1 - Clement VSOP - It was smooth and didn't have much burn to it.
2 - St James Vieux - Went down smooth but had quite a burn to it, but wouldn't keep me away from sipping it again.
3 - Neisson Eleve Sous Bois - Strong alcohol taste and a big burn. I won't be sipping it anytime soon.

Clement was the cheapest of the three and St James was the most expensive. As far as best value goes, Clement wins it all the way. I will try to make drinks with them, seems like Mai Tais are more popular than Navy Grogs, so I will experiment with them to start. I will also try them all again cut with Appleton as well.

Strange, I know I tried Clement a few times at Tiki Oasis this last year and I didn't think much of it. I guess it was the drinks I didn't like or possibly it was the fact that I had been drinking rum for 5 days straight that made it less appealing. I could have just confused it with another drink too I guess. But here is what I tried...

This weekend I am having friends over. I might try to get everyone to pitch in on that bottle of Clement XO. I am very curious to try it.

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2013-10-03 12:26 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-12 3:46 pm   Permalink

Got that Clement XO!!!

I had people over after my friends wedding. Luckily they were drunk enough to throw down some money for my expensive bottle of rum.

So, it is a great rum! The last 3 nights I have had a decent amount with an ice cube. It goes down very smooth. Since it is so smooth it is difficult to compare it to any other rum. I could more easily compare it to other liquors. I would say it is as smooth as Don Julio 1942 and the flavor tastes more like Glenfiddich than anything else. I think it is so pure that it mostly takes its flavor from the aging. Anyway it is the best Martinique rum that I can find and a great drink!

AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-12-28 3:40 pm   Permalink

About a month ago I got some Clement VSOP & Ive tried it every which way to provide a review:

First off: it costs between 32 & 43 online ~ $50 to $70. I paid 45 in a shop, I think that's a lot for a bottle!

Drink no 1) Neat - the rum seems to have little flavour between the grassiness & the woody / peppery taste of the aging the longer you drink it. Bland.

2) Over ice - grassiness is notched up & the the woody / peppery taste tamed a little. Bland but non unappealing grassy vinegary flavour.

3) Neat with Appleton 12 - falls flat compared to the Saint James Amber / Appleton 12 combo.

4) In a Ti Punch without ice - yuk (normal reaction to Ti Punch without ice).

5) In a Ti Punch with ice - improved over the Ti Punch without ice but only slightly. Still yuk (I think I prefer this drink with younger agricoles).

At this point I was a bit stumped about this rum - it didn't meet my expectations after my initial tastings & had been expensive! I headed into mixing it:

6) Mai tai (with Appleton 12) - this is a different take on the drink Im used to. The grassy vingeary taste I now associate with this particular rhum now became an interesting part of the drink in the 1st few sips, then I settled in & enjoyed it, occasional remembering how different it was. If you are used to 'heavier' mai tai with demerara like me, this may prove an experiment rather than a change for life.

7) Donga Punch - a new favourite. The grassy vinegar flavour blends well producing a drink that makes my mouth water when I think about it (!). If there is a better rhum for a Donga Punch I want to meet it!

8 ) Three Dots & a Dash (with El Dorado 8 or 12) - again a different take on the drink Im used to. The rhums unique flavours were present & blended well but I would liked the drink to be a little heavier.

All in all, when mixed, my opinions of this rhum turned around. It asserts itself in the 3 cocktails I mention above strongly. It has a flavour outside what I was expecting from the younger agricoles I had tried previously.

This rhum earns a place in my bar just for the Donga Punch it makes ~ I will endeavour to keep it in stock & order it cheaply offline.

Next on my list is still Rhum Barbancourt 3 star or 5 star & Saint James Rhum Vieux (not the Amber or Hors D'Age) - anyone tried either?

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 08:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-28 15:40, AdOrAdam wrote:
Next on my list is still Rhum Barbancourt 3 star or 5 star & Saint James Rhum Vieux (not the Amber or Hors D'Age) - anyone tried either?

See my earlier comment about my confusion over Saint James Rhum Vieux versus their Extra Old. I have had and enjoyed the Extra Old, but the bottles I have seen here with a box designation of "Rhum Vieux" are in fact Hors D'Age inside the bottle). At any rate, I have yet to have anything from St. James that I didn't like.

Barbancourt 5 star is awesome stuff for the price. Conversations appear here and elsewhere on the subject, but my summary opinion is that even though Barbancourt 5 star is authentic rhum agricole it largely lacks the earthiness of the Martinique and Guadeloupe expressions of the style. That is no knock on the product whatsoever, which is a really good rum. In fact, it was the first decent rum I ever tasted so I certainly have a soft spot for it.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-31 11:57 am   Permalink

Sunny&Rummy, have you been able to acquire St. James Royal Amber or St. James anything lately on the Space Coast of Florida? I used to be able to special order it from ABC Liquors and have even occasionally found it on store shelves in the past, but no more... they can't even special order it now. I have been successful in acquiring Clement VSOP at Total Wine in Viera.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 2:38 pm   Permalink

Lately the pickin's have been slim, Tom. I was thrilled for the past year or so to be able to find Royal Ambre for $20 at ABC, but that has dried up in the last couple of months. I had read somewhere that St James was going to stop US distribution and I hope that is not the case.

The bottle shop at the Mansion restaurant in Melbourne has recently had the higher end products -- Extra Old and Hors D'Age -- along with a good selection of the high end Clement offerings, but they tend to be overpriced.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-01 05:43 am   Permalink

Mahalo, Sunny&Rummy.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-01 07:46 am   Permalink

We stopped in for a beer at the Mansion yesterday and confirmed they had several bottles of Hors d'Age ($45), Depaz and Clement VSOP ($39), and at least one bottle each of 6 year and 10 year Clement ($60+). No Royal Ambre. I made a request and they said they'd see about getting it. Will let you know, Tom.

TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-02 4:01 pm   Permalink

The next time you are at The Mansion, be sure to let them know how much you would love to have The Straw Hat Barmen (strawhatbarmen.com/) do a tiki night there! We can't seem to get them to return our calls.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-02 7:44 pm   Permalink

Thanks AdorAdam for the Clement VSOP review. It is a well put together review.

I stopped by Smuggler's Cove last week. They boast over 400 rums on hand. I wasn't in the mood for sampling, but I looked over the menu. Sadly I didn't think to take a picture of the Martinique page until later. There were one or 2 I haven't tried yet. They also had an explanation of what the Clement XO was. If I remember correctly, it was 3 different batches of VO mixed together. They were charging $38 a shot for it.

Anyway, if anyone is up that way, it would be cool to have a picture of that section of the rum list from Smuggler's Cove (Hang10Tiki?). If any other bar has cool descriptions of various Martinique rums, a picture would sure help out this thread.

lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-07 12:18 pm   Permalink

Here are those pics thanks to Hang10tiki and Smuggler's Cove. They do have quite a good selection of Martinique rums. It says that the XO is a blend of 1952, 1970 and 1976 vintages.

I decided to use the recipe from the first page of the thread, the Navy Grog. I used Smith & Cross and St James Vieux and it was amazing! I tried the same recipe two night ago with Pusser's and Clement. It was good but no where near as good as Smith & Cross and St James. So to be fair I will have to test it with Clement and Smith & Cross next.

- I guess I just like this Navy Grog recipe because I like to have the Dram in my Grog.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation