FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Best Martinique Rum?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Best Martinique Rum?
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-07 1:36 pm   Permalink

Nice agricole selection. Damn, I need to get out there. Not that I could afford all those great looking rhums I'd like to try. . .

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-07 1:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-28 15:40, AdOrAdam wrote:
Next on my list is still Rhum Barbancourt 3 star or 5 star & Saint James Rhum Vieux (not the Amber or Hors D'Age) - anyone tried either?

I usually stick with the 8 and 15 year Barbancourt, I have not tried the 3 or 5 but I would assume that they would be good since the others are some of my favorite rhums. The St James Vieux is a good quality agricole rum. Definitely worth the price.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-07 2:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-07 13:57, lunavideogames wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-12-28 15:40, AdOrAdam wrote:
Next on my list is still Rhum Barbancourt 3 star or 5 star & Saint James Rhum Vieux (not the Amber or Hors D'Age) - anyone tried either?

I usually stick with the 8 and 15 year Barbancourt, I have not tried the 3 or 5 but I would assume that they would be good since the others are some of my favorite rhums. The St James Vieux is a good quality agricole rum. Definitely worth the price.

Barbancourt's labels are confusing. The "5 star" IS actually their 8 year expression (awesome rhum!) while their "3 star" is actually a 4-year old product. Go figure.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-07 2:37 pm   Permalink

On 2014-01-07 14:25, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
Barbancourt's labels are confusing. The "5 star" IS actually their 8 year expression (awesome rhum!) while their "3 star" is actually a 4-year old product. Go figure.

After a couple of Zombies I'm sure it makes perfect sense!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-07 2:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-07 14:25, Sunny&Rummy wrote:

Yep, I second the motion that Barbancourt are having too many names for their rhums!

However, they probably do this for the same reason that Appleton do, with their 12 year / Extra & 8 year / Reserve:

Appleton Extra is blended to be the same as their 12 year but may contain younger rums. The same with their 8 year aka 'Reserve'. In the UK we get '12 year' or '8 year' not 'Extra' or 'Reserve' we are getting something slightly different (but meant to be the same). Anyone heard similar?

By the by Clement VSOP is a 4 year as well so comparison to Barbancourt 3 star / 4 year could hold up well.

I just figured Luna had a few too many

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-07 3:30 pm   Permalink

I wish I could sit around and drink Barbancourt all day but I am at work currently. That makes sense, I never look at the stars. I knew I had seen one that was younger than the 8 year, but the 8 is the most common around here. The 8 year is an amazing rhum that I use in my Mai Tais. It is my favorite rum for the price. I have picked up a couple bottles of the Barbancourt white as well which I think is very tasty for a white rum.

My local BevMo stores are constantly running out of the 8 year. They had them on sale all holiday season for $19.99, but there wasn't a bottle to be found at any of their locations. Hopefully they will restock soon, cause I need to...

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-07 4:48 pm   Permalink

I like the Barbancourt 4 yr better than the 8 yr.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-11 8:11 pm   Permalink

Luna
Glad the pictures made it.
How did I miss this post?

Now look what ya did, I'm thirsty

jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-11 8:17 pm   Permalink

I also am a fan of both Barbancourt rums, but lean more to the 8 year
and I prefer Barbancourt as one of the rums I use in my Mai Tais.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-11 8:22 pm   Permalink

Aloha ATP

Thought I'd post these too

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-01 1:35 pm   Permalink

I recently got some Barbancourt 8 star.

I tried some neat, it was pleasant but I found it a bit unremarkable. Not bad, just unremarkable & low on the grassy flavour I was expecting. I ran through trying it over ice / in a ti punch / in a ti punch over ice & wasn't much impressed. Mixing it in a few cocktails, my review of them is:

In a Mai tai (with Appleton 8 ) - I forwent the Appleton 12 to try this combo I heard was good... the grassy flavour is so faint, the drink does not pop.

In a Donga Punch - again the rhum is faint (the cinnamon overpowers a bit).

In a Three Dots & a Dash (with El Dorado 8 ) - I heard this drink was great for Barbancourt 8 & this is a nice drink, although, again, the rhum is ever so faint.

I don't think I'll continue to use it in cocktails calling for 'Martinique rum' (its a too low on the grassy flavour) but I will certainly try out a few drinks that call for it by name (like a Barbancourt Rum Cup).

As a rum, I can see why people like it but Im unlikley to buy it again, it doesn't live up to my expectations.

Its still worth posting a pic I took:

Cheers all

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-01 4:37 pm   Permalink

If it's a grassy Barbancourt you are looking for try the silver/white. The aged Barbancourt rums (5 yr., 8 yr. or 15 yr.) have a refined rum taste all their own, which is to say not very rummy. I certainly don't consider them a substitute for a Martinique rum. The 15 is my favorite but as you point out it would get lost in most mixed drinks so I sip it neat.

[ This Message was edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2014-03-01 16:39 ]

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-01 8:15 pm   Permalink

I really enjoy the Barbancourt 4 year old, feel it makes good cocktails, prefer it to the 8 yr old.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-01 8:39 pm   Permalink

Yes, it is a very smooth tasting rum, if you prefer rum with a bit more bite
this may not be your preference.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-01 2:51 pm   Permalink

For me, one of the best things about agricoles is that the grassy taste plays on your mind & think 'hmmm... '

Clement VSOP definitely does that. I have enjoyed quite few Donga Punches since I got my bottle. I have been experimenting with Clement VSOP in Three Dots & a Dash to 'heavy it up'. I used El Dorado 15 & LH 151 as the demeraras. The experimenting led to me day dreaming of that Clement VSOP taste...

I now think with a full 1/2 shot of LH151 to 1 & 1/2 to Clement VSOP it might be the *best* Three Dots & a Dash in the world

I take on board the above comments about Barbancourt, I aim to try the younger members of the family if they have more grassiness - as I said, still nice rum.

I have also made a few Pina Paradises (from Sippin Safari & the Tiki+ app), it is unlikely to make it on to my 'home bar menu' but is a good drink to try out folks

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation