FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Rancho Mahalo - my new build in South Austin, TX
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Rancho Mahalo - my new build in South Austin, TX
RanchoMahalo

Posted: 2013-09-17 12:15 am   Permalink

Aloha folks! - I've been looking around and enjoying posts here a long time, but lost my old account info. I'm a designer living in Austin, TX - and a longtime tiki fan. I finally have a project coming together thats worth posting and sharing, and could use use some good input here and there too. We have a cool little midcentury ranch home that we've been enjoying and doing improvements here and there for a few years, and finally we are ready to get the big screened in porch project - our South Austin Lanai - underway. I've got a great designer/builder I'm working with to bring Rancho Mahalo to life.

Heres a peek at the plan:

Its all screened in - so we don't have to worry with those Texas mosquitos and biting critters that can make relaxing with a Mai Tai a little difficult. All cedar construction and will have alot of cool custom tiki touches. Its going to be a big added area to enjoy at home. Nice modern A-frame roofline compliments the house and gives it a period shape - dig the custom "prow" shape at the top of the middle support beam.

The current patio is just a concrete slab with a small metal roof over it - we are taking the metal roof out and going over the top of the concrete with a raised deck to take in all of the space

The bar and furniture is from my good pal Von Franco, and used to be on his old tiki porch in Riverside, CA - we spent some good times hanging out back there, and now the bar is gonna get a new home here

Some great carvings from B-One Tikis

Landscaping is going in back there too - we had to hold it up a bit for construction to get going

But now it is rolling and progress is getting made - the subfloor going in:

And starting to rise up!

Super excited to get this project happening, and I'll share more progress and some sketches of ideas as we get further along

Thanks for all the great resources here, and figured this would be a great way to reintroduce myself to the Tiki Room Community!

View Profile of RanchoMahalo Send a personal message to RanchoMahalo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-17 12:37 am   Permalink

Glad that bar went to someone who appreciates it. I spent quite a bit of time in franco's riverside tiki patio, smokin cigars and hangin out.

I look forward to the progress...

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-17 07:17 am   Permalink

Now that's a serious project, have fun.

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-17 07:34 am   Permalink

wow, that's some serious space!!! Im so jealous since Im in a little condo and have no where to go! lovin the tiki masks and animal print!!! Im betting your holding the good stuff back to wow us all once its done!!! Id love to do what your doing on my patio, maybe enclose it and give me more indoor/outdoor living space, but my evil H.O.A. and Commissar frowns on add-ons or any thing that looks different, I guess its time to move!!!
cant wait to see more!!!!!!!!!!!

pele

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-17 07:50 am   Permalink

Heave-ho and up she rises!!! Man, this is exciting!!!

Best of luck, really look forward to more.

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Masher88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-17 12:18 pm   Permalink

Whoa! That's going to be killer!

View Profile of Masher88 Send a personal message to Masher88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RanchoMahalo

Posted: 2014-02-08 10:57 pm   Permalink

We have made a ton of progress on Rancho Mahalo - but I've been bad about posting photos - the structure is now pretty much done, and moving on to do the finishing touches. Its coming together great!

View Profile of RanchoMahalo Send a personal message to RanchoMahalo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-09 08:37 am   Permalink

Epic!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-09 10:48 am   Permalink

WOW...very nice and a substantial amount of space to really swing out. There are so many great home bar pictures here, so with your architectural abilities, I know you will have an awesome looking place in the future.

Edit-forgot to say I love that bar, it is beautiful!!!

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2014-02-09 10:50 ]

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RanchoMahalo

Posted: 2014-02-12 08:47 am   Permalink

Thanks - now the real fun begins furnishing the space - just had Woody build me a great swag lamp for the dining area - pics of the build of the lamp here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=10230&forum=18&start=360

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-13 5:59 pm   Permalink

Nice build and beautiful lamp! Can't wait to see how you finish it. But what you've got so far looks great.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-13 11:17 pm   Permalink

Looks great- and exponentially larger than the original patio. A-frames make everything better....

Look forward to seeing more updates!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-19 01:20 am   Permalink

Looks like you are doing it right, keep posting updates.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Freeland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-05 9:18 pm   Permalink

Amazing!

View Profile of Freeland Send a personal message to Freeland  Email Freeland Goto the website of Freeland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-31 9:51 pm   Permalink

Looking good! Any new pics?

View Profile of Koitiki Send a personal message to Koitiki  Email Koitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation