FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Rancho Mahalo - my new build in South Austin, TX
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Rancho Mahalo - my new build in South Austin, TX
Freeland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-10 1:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-31 21:51, Koitiki wrote:
Looking good! Any new pics?

I was curious to know if this was your place? Ahahaha guess not.

View Profile of Freeland Send a personal message to Freeland  Email Freeland Goto the website of Freeland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tropicali*honey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-20 12:59 pm   Permalink

So cool!

View Profile of tropicali*honey Send a personal message to tropicali*honey  Email tropicali*honey Goto the website of tropicali*honey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NSB Friki Tiki

Posted: 2014-12-20 3:06 pm   Permalink

Very cool !!! Next time we go to visit my step daughter have to pay you guys a visit

View Profile of NSB Friki Tiki Send a personal message to NSB Friki Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-12-21 09:55 am   Permalink

Wow, you are quite the builder. Looking forward to your progress.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RanchoMahalo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-04-02 1:07 pm   Permalink

I was just recently listening to the Inside The Desert Oasis podcast, and I'm so stoked, because my old pal Von Franco and Erich Troudt are on there hanging out in The Hut and smoking cigars - making me miss those old times with Franco - and you guys start talking about his old bar & place, and I hear my name pop up!

Man oh man - so I realize I started posting build pictures of my place here a few years back and then just stopped. Jeez, life gets crazy sometimes, sorry. I came back here to check out Erich's Hut photos and it reminded me that I left this thread hanging - so I need to catch up. Hope you see this again Erich - the Hut is AMAZING! and I love that your dad is helping out so much - Claude is the best.

So maybe I need to backtrack a whole lot to many years back and put the pieces of the story together here and get it all up to date - this would be the perfect place to tell it to folks who would be into it, and I've got some great photos to share with fellow tiki fans - so stay tuned to the thread, and I promise not to disappear this time.

If you listened to that podcast - and I recommend you do at
http://polynesianpop.podomatic.com Episode 10 - they are talking about Franco's old place, the half enclosed porch he set up, and the bar that Bruce Yoakum of B-One Tikis built - that I now have and built my place around.

This is the bar, and what Franco's old place looked like - man, some good times were had back there. We would hang out when we came to California to visit for car shows - which is how we met and became friends, through the hot rod scene.

View Profile of RanchoMahalo Send a personal message to RanchoMahalo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-02 6:49 pm   Permalink

Hey man, glad you are posting again. Can't wait to see the updated pics of your place!!

Thanks for the nice words about my hut. Those old pics of franco's place are great. It was always a good hang spot.

Erich

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-06 2:10 pm   Permalink

That payphone stand id the best.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-04-09 8:30 pm   Permalink

Wow...such great unique Tiki items. Wonderful collection. CHEERS

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RanchoMahalo

Posted: 2017-05-02 10:19 am   Permalink

Okay - now for the big reveal - here are some photos of the finished space.

The new home for the old bar - with seating area. The bar stools came from an old restaurant and came with the bar when I got it from Franco. I cleaned up and refinished the bar after it had been sitting outside in storage - and painted it with a sealer that deepened up the color of the bamboo. The chairs and couch were also the same one's from the old place - and I had them reupholstered. The entire space is built from cedar - from the floors to the roof and the big rough sawed beams that make up the structure and the huge beams in the ceiling. This is taken with a wide angle lens to get it all in, which makes it look massive - but it is a pretty big and airy space.

Here is a tighter shot of the bar area - the custom tiki mask carvings were done by Bill Collins on Kauai from palm trunks he harvested from the Coco Palms Resort. I'll post some some shots of the making of those a little further down. It was the first time he had done something like that. Then I had my friend here in Austin who is a neon sign artist make the brackets that hold them to the wall, that have gold neon tubes in them that shine through and backlight the masks, giving a really great ambient glow. The neon light is so warm and throws off a lot of the gold color out there on the wall. We framed out the area behind the bar with a darker bamboo, and covered the window to the kitchen in the big bamboo as well. I hid some purply-blue led light underneath the edge of the bar so it shoots some cool color down the bamboo of the bar

A view from the dining room table - another custom piece from a friend of ours who is a furniture designer out in Marfa in West Texas - a really big, modern design - also finished in cedar wood. You can see the underside of the swag lamp that Woody made for us hanging over the table with all the bits of shells, glass and bamboo suspended in the amber resin. We have dinner out here way more than we do inside - since the weather in Austin is so good for most of the year. Even in the hot months, it cools down in the evenings out there - between the big fan and the high ceiling. And since its all screened in, you can catch a breeze - and you don't have to worry about bugs biting you.

a higher view

From the bar looking back at the yard - those big geometric carved panels above the sliding barn doors are from Oceanic Arts - as is the Moai carving in the bottom right

Its a beautiful space to hang out in, and I love ending my day out there, watching the fireflies light up in the backyard and listening to some exotica or quiet slack key guitar... a Mai Tai or two helps too - since Austin still doesn't have a proper tiki bar, I had to build my own - but its open all hours and I always can find a good seat at the bar!

View Profile of RanchoMahalo Send a personal message to RanchoMahalo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-02 10:30 am   Permalink

Awesome job! Great use of the space you had, wonderful warm feeling in the photos from the all the wood!

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-02 11:50 am   Permalink

That is spectacular!

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-02 12:54 pm   Permalink

Gorgeous, man! Very sleek, stylish and modern. Quite different from many of the old-school, tiki clutter bars here, but you've really pulled it off. It's hard to go wrong with cedar lumber as the prime building material. The back-lit tikis are gorgeous. I'm quite taken with the dark matting on the walls. Did it come that color, of did you stain it? I'm definitely taking inspiration from you for my own build!

And hasn't it been a crazy, bumper crop year for lightning bugs? They're *everywhere*!

[ This Message was edited by: Prikli Pear 2017-05-02 12:57 ]

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-02 12:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-05-02 10:19, RanchoMahalo wrote:

Its a beautiful space to hang out in...

Understatement of the year! Wow. I soooooooo love what you have done.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 2017-05-02 1:13 pm   Permalink

Looks awesome! When are you having us over?

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RanchoMahalo

Posted: 2017-05-03 09:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-05-02 12:54, Prikli Pear wrote:
Gorgeous, man! Very sleek, stylish and modern. Quite different from many of the old-school, tiki clutter bars here, but you've really pulled it off. It's hard to go wrong with cedar lumber as the prime building material. The back-lit tikis are gorgeous. I'm quite taken with the dark matting on the walls. Did it come that color, of did you stain it? I'm definitely taking inspiration from you for my own build!

And hasn't it been a crazy, bumper crop year for lightning bugs? They're *everywhere*!

[ This Message was edited by: Prikli Pear 2017-05-02 12:57 ]

Thanks! yeah - tried to do something kind of modern and spacious to match the vibe of the house - a mid century ranch built in 1962, but still make the lanai feel very tiki - the big A-frame design matches the roofline and makes it feel period-correct.

The dark paneling behind the backlit tikis came that way - it was actually a roll of matting that was already sort of chocolate brown stained - worked great pop out those masks and have a different texture behind the bar from the rest of the lauhala matting on the walls.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation