FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » TikiFarm's recent mugs
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
TikiFarm's recent mugs
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-18 2:12 pm   Permalink

I notice that Tiki Farm seems to be primarily focused on lowbrow mugs now. Most if their recent mugs have abandoned the classic tiki look. I, for one, am disappointed.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-18 2:53 pm   Permalink

There are tons of mug makers out there ..including the dozens of artists that post on this forum their new ceramics.

Go buy something from them.

Problem solved.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-18 4:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-18 14:12, TikiTacky wrote:
I notice that Tiki Farm seems to be primarily focused on lowbrow mugs now.

What do you consider to be "lowbrow?" I'm not a mug collector, but am curious to know your stance.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-18 4:37 pm   Permalink

I didn't mean lowbrow in a derogatory fashion; it's a particular genre of art: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowbrow_(art_movement)

Many of the recent mugs have a very Ed Roth feel to them. Nothing wrong with that, but I like the classic forms, too.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-09-18 16:38 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-18 5:31 pm   Permalink

Gotcha. I kinda see the same thing being equally as popular as traditional styles. I'm not a giant fan of the stuff that sorta leads into this rockabilly type style.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-18 6:01 pm   Permalink

Tiki Farm is a business and the more mugs they can sell the better for them. I'm sure the vast majority of people who follow/like the lowbrow scene and/or rockabilly also like Tiki and if there are those that are not aware of it, or interested, by producing mugs that combine or cross over into different areas they are increasing their market and therefore sales.
Also, the rockabilly and lowbrow scenes would have a lot me people in them than what the Tiki scene does so by making JUST tiki mugs would they even stay in business?
Whilst the purists might not like it i don't think Tiki Farm really cares.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-18 6:05 pm   Permalink

I talk to Holden often, So the 411 is Tiki Farm is doing some gear-head/lowbrow
designs for the new 2013 mugs, they just wanted to change it up a bit this year
but don't worry they still have plenty of "Tiki" designs coming out

Holden just wanted to do something a little different with some of the new mugs after doing
a lot of the same type Tiki mugs over the last 13 years.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-18 7:33 pm   Permalink

Awesome. I'm happy they'll still do some of the traditional mugs as well. I love artists like Munktiki and Crazy Al, but I can afford to plunk down the cash for Tiki Farm more often.

AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-09-19 12:25 pm   Permalink

Interesting post, considering the TC / Tiki Farm relationship...

I think this depends what you want in a tiki mug.

I scrolled through & counted - I like 17 of the 39 on the Tiki Farm website at the moment (e.g. I like the style of the Pingo / He'e / Islander Series / mostly one colour mugs).

I think that's quite good going!

But I know what TikiTacky means - if someone gave me a Magnum PI or Merv / Mort / Maury mug, it'd go on the shelf & I'd look suspiciously at it for a while, maybe even putting it the corner (!)

BUT... you never know, I might grow to like it & not want to part from it

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2013-09-19 12:25 pm   Permalink

PS It is highly unlikely with the Merv / Mort / Maury mugs though!

[ This Message was edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-09-22 09:15 ]

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki

Posted: 2013-09-22 09:03 am   Permalink

Aloha ADORADAM,

A FAR AS THE MORT AND MAURYS ETC. There is a little inside story to them..Here's a hint--One of Holdens favorite movies
of all time is The Big Lebowski.. A guy has gotta break it up once in a while and get outside of the box (TIKI) to keep their sanity..LOL

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2013-09-22 09:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-22 09:03, ron-tiki wrote:
Aloha ADORADAM,

A FAR AS THE MORT AND MAURYS ETC. There is a little inside story to them..Here's a hint--One of Holdens favorite movies
of all time is The Big Lebowski.. A guy has gotta break it up once in a while and get outside of the box (TIKI) to keep their sanity..LOL

I don't mind that, if the mugs aren't for me but someone wants them then power to Holden I probably can't afford them all!

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-22 7:38 pm   Permalink

Must be that Pizz guy!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-10-18 09:39 am   Permalink

...but mere words don't do them justice.

In the beginning were The Gods, and they were carved into images such as these...

This is what we now call "art". Note that none of these graven images are grinning idiots. They were used as the basis for the first "tiki mugs", which supplanted the hula girl as the primary icon of faux Polynesia. What do any of those pagan gods have in common with the likes of these below...?

The above image seems more appropriate for a girl's tenth birthday party.

Racing stripes?

Do what, now?

Of this batch, the above seems to veer toward a legitimate tiki image.

When I posited the possibilities of a steampunk/tiki crossover a few years ago, this grinning idiot was not what I envisioned.

Rockabilly (or hillbilly, or hulabilly, or whatever this is supposed to be) is not tiki, and vice versa. Tiki Farm is by no means the only offender: Eekum Bookum's Tiki Oasis 2013 outhouse abomination is just as un-tiki.

Mmm-hmm. Right.

Seriously? Seriously?

A coincidental likeness?

Is that a wahine or a golf bag hanging there?

For my taste, the plastic monstrosities at Party City have more legitimate Tiki content than most of these recent (Beyond) Tiki Farm designs. For those who like face mugs, monster mugs, Hello Kitty mugs, etc., I'm sure these fill a vital niche, but they cannot accurately be described as "tiki", nor do they deserve to be.

I think this thread is a great place to begin a new tradition of Tiki Mug Criticism, a la music, art & book criticism. If we're going to have the Tiki stream littered with crap, we deserve the right to a soapbox. Otherwise, Tiki will be sucked into the lowbrow vortex which only ever gets lower, and lower, and lower...

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-18 10:51 am   Permalink

Preach!

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation