FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » TikiFarm's recent mugs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
TikiFarm's recent mugs
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-10-19 5:02 pm   Permalink

Just noticed this thread 'popped' back up from a month ago. Comments have got a little less flippant!

Can someone please clarify for me, Trader Vics is still tiki right? I mean Trader Vic is responsible for a lot of good drinks that would be called 'tiki' drinks but had no ancestral links to Polynesia? The scorpion bowl & fog cutter mugs aren't very carving like either...

I'm kidding - common sense dicates what 'tiki' is'. Tiki is not just polynesian carvings but they are one of the best parts. Have a look at this thread & post your thoughts:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=46298&forum=1&start=last&1

I'd vote with my wallet & just not buy anything I didn't like.

Quote:

On 2013-10-18 11:46, tikilongbeach wrote:
London based CheekyTiki has Bespoke Barware which produces their non-tiki related barware

There is quite a lot of cross over between Bespoke Barware & Cheeky Tiki, I like quite a few of their 'non tiki' bits I have one of their Grand Marnier Oranges that I like - it sits on my shelf with the mugs non the less:

Not 'offensively' non tiki tho right?

Maybe Tiki Farm could split their range into 'General Fun' & 'Purist'?

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-20 02:58 am   Permalink

How do you define a tiki mug? What makes a tiki mug, a tiki mug?

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-20 08:03 am   Permalink

1) It's a mug. 2) It has the image of a tiki on it.

Of course then we can get into a discussion about what a tiki is, but I think both of those are easily defined terms. The mugs Tiki Farm is currently producing seem to be to be character mugs, but not tiki mugs for the most part.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-10-20 11:20 am   Permalink

I didn't intend to hijack this thread, just amp it up a bit. I've started a non-tiki mug review thread (on Beyond Tiki of course) called Mug Shots. Please feel free to post reviews of anything non-tiki you care to there...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=46301&forum=6&start=last&0

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-10-20 3:06 pm   Permalink

Your point is valid White Devil.

I would say that the mugs from Tiki Farm that I dont like I could probably seperate into 'not my kind of tiki' & 'not tiki enough'.

Quote:

On 2013-10-20 08:03, TikiTacky wrote:

Too narrow. What about barrel mugs & coconut mugs? Or the Trader Vics coffee grog skull mug?

I likewise started a thread: what does tiki mean to you?
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=46298&forum=1&12
Please post!

PS Above all else, my fave mugs are the all brown tiki ones

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-20 3:39 pm   Permalink

Well certainly they're from tiki places, but are they tiki mugs?

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-20 7:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Quote:

On 2013-10-20 08:03, TikiTacky wrote:

Too narrow. What about barrel mugs & coconut mugs? Or the Trader Vics coffee grog skull mug?

Exactly.

And c'mon TikiTacky, do you really think i posted that question to get such a simplistic response? I want to hear from the self-confessed purists who have posted in this thread what they have to say.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-20 8:40 pm   Permalink

To push it a little further, is this tiki or just a horrible clown head mug (imho ) accepted as a "Ku mug" because Stephen Crane Assoc. designed it?

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2013-10-20 21:50 ]

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-20 9:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-20 20:40, tikicoma wrote:
To push it a little further, is this tiki or just a horrible clown head mug (imho ) accepted as a "Ku mug" because Stephen Crane Assoc. designed it?

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2013-10-20 21:50 ]

Dats one ugly ass mug imho, but if it’s from a tiki establishment den it’s tiki, again imho. don’t mean you gotta buy it or like it though.
My 2 Cents.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-20 10:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-20 19:52, swizzle wrote:
And c'mon TikiTacky, do you really think i posted that question to get such a simplistic response? I want to hear from the self-confessed purists who have posted in this thread what they have to say.

I wasn't trying to be flippant, but isn't that really what defines a tiki mug? You can start getting into semantics after that, it's right there in the name.

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-20 11:02 pm   Permalink

Well in historical terms any Tiki (Vintage) mug that came from an
established Polynesian Bar/restaurant during the golden era of Tiki
is a Tiki Mug.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-21 12:21 am   Permalink

ATP, I don't think I can agree with you. Though Sven's construct that tiki bars started in, what, the '50's?, is very compelling the use of the the phrase "tiki bar" didn't come about until the 80's or 90's? So, to rephrase you, any vintage mug that came from this era was a polynesian/tropical mug. I've always felt that a step was left out from the 50's-60's, the exotic stage, when influences from the Caribbean, Asia, Africa and Polynesia/South Sea's were frequently jumbled together in popular culture. The most successful establishments seem to have gone to Polynesian tiki/PNG carvings but our view of the "classic" tiki era is just the present labeling the past. Even the Tiki Restaurant in Lakewood, WA (from the 60's) was referred to as a Hawaiian restaurant though it had tiki decor. So in one respect a tiki mug is just a mug made to look like a tiki but if you see the classic era as being the tiki era than any mug from that era's tiki joints would be a tiki mug.

But is this mug,

from this classic era joint

in any respect "tiki"?

And either way I still don't like Stephen Cranes Ku mug!

aloha, tikicoma

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2013-10-21 00:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2013-10-21 00:37 ]

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-21 01:53 am   Permalink

Unfortunately we get caught up in semantics when it comes to the genre of "Tiki"
I like to ground it in the historical sense, but we have to call it Tiki today
when in the age of Tiki bars on every block (what? you didn't have one on every block in your city )
the term "Tiki" may not have been spoken literally.

So even the butt ugly nothing to do with the tiki of today mugs, have a set history of a place & time
so I myself count them as a mug or as we would say today "Tiki Mug" of a legit "Tiki Origin".

I would label most of what all us associate today with the term "Tiki" as more of an idealistic interpretation.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-10-21 07:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-21 01:53, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Unfortunately we get caught up in semantics when it comes to the genre of "Tiki"

For me, the only way to cut through the semantics is to ask myself, "would I keep it, sell it, or shoot it?"

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-21 07:39 am   Permalink

It all really depends on who is doing the labeling...

Is it the jazz loving mid century purist like me?

Or is it the rockabilly/punk/surf/Kar Kuture/low brow person for whom tiki is just a sub-set of low brow culture?

I don't have any proof, but I would estimate today's neo-tiki scene is about 70-30. 70% being the low brow enthusiasts, 30 % being those that like pure tiki. That seems to be the make-up on this forum.

(of course, some, like Lucky Designs dabble in BOTH, and like BOTH, but that seems to be an exception, and not really a rule....most seem to come from one or the other viewpoints exclusively)

The thing to consider is that the original tiki scene (if you can call it that) was one of Yuppies. Yes, Yuppies. They were the yuppies of that era. What proof do I have? The faces in BOT. Especially the Luau scene (forgot what page)...but these were NOT youth culture. They were the parents of youth culture. Women still wore beehives, men still wore suits. Cocktails were cool, drugs were not. And they did NOT surf! Neither were they all tatted up! They didn't drive hot rods. They were urban people who liked to become urban savages on the weekend. They had the money to invest in fancy hi-fi stereo home consoles, with tubes and made of wood but otherwise hi-fi, and those Arthur Lyman records were often used as demo recordings in the stereo shops (sears, woolworth, etc) Some of these people would probably feel very out of place watching the Creep Creeps headlining some big "tiki" festival, but they would absolutely LOVE the Martini kings (probably without the burlesqe, though)

So it really depends on what age you were in 1965. 40, or 20.

Me, I was Zero, so I am clearly a product of the neo-tiki scene...but damn, I wish some times I was living back then!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

[ This Message was edited by: Lucas Vigor 2013-10-21 07:53 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation