FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » TikiFarm's recent mugs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
TikiFarm's recent mugs
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-21 2:17 pm   Permalink

Speaking for myself Lucas, I dig both also, but....as I am old,I was lucky to
have experienced the real thing & that is my baseline for what it should be

I love nothing better then going into an old Tiki Bar(or accurate recreation of one) & Hawaiian or
old 50s/60s pop is playing in the background
(yes that is what you heard at most of these places,back then) but I also came from the
Punk rock & lowbrow art scenes, so I have an appreciation for that also.

If you make me choose only one though I would pick the old school traditional Polynesian bar
and be happy as a clam (are they really happy?) and yes Punk, Hot-rod, Tattooed & pierced pinups etc. are not "Tiki"
but I can dig em too.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-10-21 14:17 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-21 4:09 pm   Permalink

You are in a minority, though, ATP.

This is the future of tiki:

and this was the past. Can you guess which I prefer?

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2013-10-21 16:24 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-21 4:43 pm   Permalink

I feel like this thread is turning into "My concept of tiki is better than yours." All I wanted to do was lament the recent dearth of traditional form tiki mugs.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-21 5:18 pm   Permalink

But it is very much alive & well in the works of Notch, Gecko, Crazy Al Evans & Danny Gallardo
and others....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-21 5:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-21 17:18, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
But it is very much alive & well in the works of Notch, Gecko, Crazy Al Evans & Danny Gallardo
and others....

Yeah, because those artists never have done any Devils, Aliens, Guitars, sunglasses, etc in their work....

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-21 6:06 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2013-10-21 18:13 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-21 6:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-21 16:43, TikiTacky wrote:
I feel like this thread is turning into "My concept of tiki is better than yours." All I wanted to do was lament the recent dearth of traditional form tiki mugs.

I am sorry you are reading that into it. That's not my intent, though. I like having opinions, being able to share them, and then finding other people that have similar viewpoints. I also am interested in what other people think. Remember, nowhere in this thread (or really any other thread) has myself or anyone else said certain things suck......quite the opposite. I mentioned how creative some of those designs are, even said that I could not make them myself. They are true artwork, no doubt. Just not my cup of tiki. And I personally don't think they really related to tiki.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-21 6:22 pm   Permalink

What I think what Lucas is really try to say is that we need more sex in this thread!
yea that's what he is saying......for better Tiki mugs, you need more sex.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-10-21 18:23 ]

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-21 6:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-21 18:22, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
What I think what Lucas is really try to say is that we need more sex in this thread!
yea that's what he is saying......for better Tiki mugs, you need more sex.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-10-21 18:23 ]

Ok? That photoshop of Spike in the other thread that Grog made........

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-21 8:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-21 14:17, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Speaking for myself Lucas, I dig both also, but....as I am old,I was lucky to
have experienced the real thing & that is my baseline for what it should be

I love nothing better then going into an old Tiki Bar(or accurate recreation of one) & Hawaiian or
old 50s/60s pop is playing in the background
(yes that is what you heard at most of these places,back then) but I also came from the
Punk rock & lowbrow art scenes, so I have an appreciation for that also.

If you make me choose only one though I would pick the old school traditional Polynesian bar
and be happy as a clam (are they really happy?) and yes Punk, Hot-rod, Tattooed & pierced pinups etc. are not "Tiki"
but I can dig em too.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-10-21 14:17 ]

Right on younger braddah Lance!

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-10-21 20:36 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 01:23 am   Permalink

Thanks lunavideogames, I was way to lazy to post pics and hoped my smiley face would portray my sarcasm...

Its not just Tiki Farm, its all the artists. They are talented people putting out damn fine products..... and it must be selling or they wouldn't keep doing it.

To quote clark griswald..."you really think it matters Eddie?"..... I mean, so what if they add devils or spaceships, or guitars or hotrods....

Seriously, we are discussing if new mugs offend a Fad from 60 years ago, that basically poked fun at real polynesian gods and mixed in chinese and PNG because it looked cool...they made up random tikis that had no polynesian qualities and mixed in nautical decor. In other words we aren't curing cancer here people, its a mug.... a mug thats slightly outside of a 60 year old box, that was slightly outside of historically correct box....

I personally have very little new stuff in my collection. Most of it I dislike and the few pieces I do like is way too much money or so limited in quantity that its just not practical for me. Thats said, I'm not losing any sleep about a tiki mug wearing sunglasses... its easier to not buy it and look at the stuff I do like.

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 03:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-20 23:02, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Well in historical terms any Tiki (Vintage) mug that came from an
established Polynesian Bar/restaurant during the golden era of Tiki
is a Tiki Mug.

This is pretty much the way i would define it also. But although i do agree with ATP, which i do more often than you might think believe it or not, where do you draw the line? The term 'tiki mug' is something that would have come about far more recently rather than during that period. I can't imagine the people who frequented the bars and restaurants during the golden era would have called them that. They would have just called them ceramic mugs, or cups, and 'the one shaped like a coconut', or 'the bamboo one', or 'the one with that funny face on it'.

The problem is that by defining all the mugs from that era as tiki mugs that also therefore includes those that did not have a tiki on it, as TikiTacky feels is how they should be defined. That means the coconut mugs and pineapples, and starboard/port lights, and the Benihana mugs and also that hideous Stephen Crane 'Ku' that tikicoma posted.

Technically they are not 'tiki mugs', they are ceramic mugs that were used for the purpose of serving exotic/tropical drinks in, and for which they are still made and used for today. However, if we go by the definition that they were given their name because of the golden era, then any and all mugs made after devolution are no longer tiki mugs, they just become ceramic mugs again. Which is what they all are.

But if all those mugs that do not have an actual image of a tiki on them can be called tiki mugs then what's the difference with calling those that this original post is about then, regardless of how you feel about them. I mean, where does this fit in?

It's made for a bar that i'm sure no-one will disagree with as being a 'proper' tiki bar. It's designed to hold exotic/tropical drinks and it kinda has a tiki on it but it's really a slot machine with a face. Is it a tiki mug or isn't it?

Personally i think that The Goof, and Mr. Bali Hai, and Tiki Bob, and all the Benihana mugs, and countless others are hideous and look nothing like a tiki, but i have to accept that they are because of their place in history.

We live in a different world surrounded by different influences and interests that can and do crossover. It is inevitable that people are going to combine those things together whether the purists like it or not.

Quote:

On 2013-10-18 17:06, ErichTroudt wrote:

While tiki central and a few people may have Decreed what Tiki is ..... there are people who disagree, don't understand, or don't care.

Whilst there were points made here by most people i agree with, even while other points in the same comment i might not have, it's the quote above that i probably agree with the most. I personally dislike all the mugs that were referenced in this thread and you know what? I won't buy any of them, but there are people who will because they don't care. And neither do i. It doesn't affect me and i'll spend my money elsewhere.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-10-22 06:13 am   Permalink

The problem inherent in establishing "rules" is that for every rule there will appear at least three exceptions: look at the history of law and organized religion. But there always exist ideals to which we should aspire, whether they're the basics of civilization, or art as we're discussing here. Once you throw out the ideal--and the guidance it provides--it all goes down the toilet. Think, for example, of how art has degenerated from Leonardo da Vinci to the modern quacks who jack off on a stretched canvas: that is symptomatic of a rampant relativism which destroys the ideal.

We can say that aliens have no place in tiki (and be right), but then Munktiki gives us this...

Singa is potentially both, but blurs the definitions because of the obvious inspiration and the excellence of the execution. Singa earns his place in the pantheon because of the genuineness of his inspiration: his adherence to the ideal, rather than to a limiting conformity to "the rules".

The reductionist argument that we're just talking about pop culture cups is certainly true, but evades the responsibility of the tiki torchbearer to be truthful to the ideal. If we keep going down the road away from the timeless (the tiki image), we can only end up in the realm of the insipid (the grinning idiot).

I don't think anyone here wants to see the day when only a handful of tikiphiles, no matter how well-intentioned, gets to determine what tiki becomes, because it may not lie within the commonality of that ideal.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 06:18 am   Permalink

Of course. No one wants anything censored.

But I also don't think that if one has a dissenting opinion, he needs to be shouted down.

Seriously, tiki "experts", is your skin that thin that you can't take ANY criticism?

You seriously have to accuse me of having a "chip on my shoulder" for having a different take on what is tiki?

(that's not directed at you WD, by the way)

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 07:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-20 20:40, tikicoma wrote:
To push it a little further, is this tiki or just a horrible clown head mug (imho ) accepted as a "Ku mug" because Stephen Crane Assoc. designed it?

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2013-10-20 21:50 ]

That mug is actually a tiki god which I believe is called the Fisher god or some such. I tried to find a better picture, and I know I've seen one here on TC. Here's the best picture I could find, and it's not exact.

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation