FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Proof that things were more fun during the jazz age...
Proof that things were more fun during the jazz age...
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-19 2:52 pm   Permalink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPd9cxqKCVg

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-19 4:58 pm   Permalink

That's cool. I never realized there was a "visual component" to Rey's talking steel guitar. Oddly, while he promoted the steel guitar w/ his big band & recorded an beautiful Hawaiian LP (Aa I Remember Hawaii), contrary to what the LP label notes say, it's reported by several folks close to him that he absolutely HATED Hawaiian music...

[ This Message was edited by: Kaiwaza 2013-09-19 16:59 ]

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rixzantis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-20 01:40 am   Permalink

The sonovox gimmick was also used in the movie "You'll Find Out" with Kay Kyser, Bela Lugosi, & Peter Lorre.
It was a device that strapped to the throat and transmitted the vibrations from your vocal chords through an electronic instrument.
This idea later evolved into the Heil talk-box and other similar devices popularized by Joe Walsh & Peter Frampton.
It's been said that Mr. Rey's wife was backstage voicing the words for the "Stringy" puppet.
This video has been linked to many times on the Steel Guitar Forum.
Creepy-Cool!

View Profile of rixzantis Send a personal message to rixzantis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-20 06:35 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2013-09-19 16:58, Kaiwaza wrote:
That's cool. I never realized there was a "visual component" to Rey's talking steel guitar. Oddly, while he promoted the steel guitar w/ his big band & recorded an beautiful Hawaiian LP (Aa I Remember Hawaii), contrary to what the LP label notes say, it's reported by several folks close to him that he absolutely HATED Hawaiian music...

[ This Message was edited by: Kaiwaza 2013-09-19 16:59 ]
[/quote

I believe it. His style is very futuristic, almost synthesiser-like...total opposite to the organic sound of hawaiian steel.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-20 1:22 pm   Permalink

From the Disney film "The Reluctant Dragon" with Robert Benchley, a demonstration of the device, but no detailed explanation of how it actually works. I like explanations, without the technical details this demo was sufficient in it's day, but it's like saying "when you flip this switch, the light in the room comes on."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blhqeWpwwkA

[ This Message was edited by: Bruddah Bear 2013-09-20 13:27 ]

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-20 1:29 pm   Permalink

Damn that was fun......

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation