FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » New ebook -- Professor Cocktail’s Zombie Horde: Recipes for the World’s Most Lethal Drink
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
New ebook -- Professor Cocktail’s Zombie Horde: Recipes for the World’s Most Lethal Drink
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-09 07:42 am   Permalink

At long last, the Zombie is alive! Zombie Horde, that is.

You can download it here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FNZOUSA

The full title is Professor Cocktail’s Zombie Horde: Recipes for the World’s Most Lethal Drink. It's a collection of eighty-six recipes for Zombies, Zombie-variants, and Zombie-inspired cocktails, ranging all the way from the Don the Beachcomber original to creations by the hottest mixologists working today. It also includes some interesting history, as it traces the proliferation of the Zombie over the decades and makes the case for it being the essential Tiki drink.

The recipes in Professor Cocktail’s Zombie Horde have been culled from sources both common and obscure, and include ten that have never before appeared in print, two of which were created especially for Zombie Horde.

The ebook will be available exclusively through Amazon, and costs just $2.99 to download. There are no plans for a print edition at this time, although it's possible that could change. You don't need a Kindle to read the book, though. You can also use the Kindle app that's available for various platforms, including PC, Mac, various tablets (iPad, Android, etc.), and smartphones (iPhone, Android, etc.).

You guys helped inspire this book, so a big thank you to you!

Cheers,
David

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Cocktail’s Zombie Horde: Recipes for the World’s Most Lethal Drink
By David J. Montgomery

One of the world’s most sublime drinking pleasures, the Zombie is the cocktail that launched a thousand Tiki bars. A sweet and sour mélange of citrus, spice, and lots of rum, the Zombie stands as one of the most significant cocktails of the past century. Created by Don the Beachcomber in 1934, the Zombie took the world by storm, and soon became the quintessential Tiki drink. Eventually, it would appear on the menus of thousands of bars and restaurants around the world.

In Zombie Horde, David J. Montgomery (aka Professor Cocktail) leads you on a journey through the history of the Zombie, starting with its humble beginnings in Hollywood, and following it as it evolved and spread over the decades. Zombie Horde includes recipes from notable bartenders like Trader Vic, David Embury, Salvatore Calabrese, and Dale DeGroff, as well as the formulas for the Zombies served at famous Tiki joints like the Tonga Room in San Francisco, Frankie’s Tiki Room in Las Vegas, and the Luau Room in San Diego.

It also includes recent cocktails that were inspired by the Zombie, with offerings from Martin Cate (Smuggler’s Cove), Brian Miller (Death & Company), Allan Katz (Caña Rum Bar), Brian Dressel (Midnight Cowboy), and Audrey Saunders (Pegu Club).

As a special bonus, Zombie Horde showcases seven new drinks -- from Jim Meehan (PDT), Tom Brown (Hogo), Jeff Kinder (Distil), Joseph Swifka (La Descarga), Craig Lane (Bar Agricole), Jack Fetterman (PKNY), and Frank Cisneros (Bourgeois Pig Brooklyn) -- that are appearing in print for the first time. Also making their print debut are the recipes for the Zombies served at Mahiki in London, Otto’s Shrunken Head in New York City, and Founding Farmers in Washington, D.C.

Reviews

“Zombie Horde is a marvelous compendium of fabulous and fascinating recipes. Tiki bars are near and dear to my heart, and I'm grateful for David J. Montgomery's work.”
--Michael Ruhlman, best-selling author of The Soul of a Chef, The French Laundry Cookbook, and Ruhlman’s Twenty

"Good (Tiki) god! I had no idea there are so many new versions of this potion out there -- and most by reputable bartenders. A good thing that someone collected them all, or else there would have to be a mid-21st century Jeff Berry (a "Son of the Beachbum"?) to dig all THOSE up! Zombie Horde will give the drink a whole new level of recognition. The Zombie is ALIVE!"
--Sven Kirsten, author of The Book of Tiki and father of the modern Tiki revival

"The Zombie's family tree is immense, gnarly, and (in parts) wholly fabricated from unnatural elements. Also, it has many dead limbs. Professor Cocktail has done us all a favor by taking on the pruning, grafting, and fertilizing, and by eschewing all topiary embellishment. A great addition to your cocktail library."
--Wayne Curtis, author of And a Bottle of Rum: A History of the New World in 10 Cocktails

“As I’ve said before, Tiki drinks occupy a space somewhere in the Venn diagram of the American psyche where escapism, irony, and kitsch overlap. No Tiki cocktail is more famous -- or infamous -- than the Zombie. It is proof that mixology treads a thin line between insanity and genius. Attempting to chart the history and evolution of the Zombie feels like a new level of madness. But David J. Montgomery has survived to admirably tell the tale in this entertaining, insightful ode to a drink that will knock you on your ass.”
--Jason Wilson, author of Boozehound: On The Trail of the Rare, the Obscure, and the Overrated in Spirits and the wine series Planet of the Grapes

“A thoroughly researched, dare I say exhaustive, compendium of this immortal (pun intended) and classic cocktail. It's a drink like the Zombie that makes it impossible for me to reconcile my vocation (trademark attorney) with my avocation (cocktail geek). Indeed, in no other field do you find such rampant disregard for the sanctity of a name. But there is great chaos under the cocktail heavens and, as Zombie Horde so ably shows, the situation is excellent. Highly entertaining! Hats off to Professor Cocktail, Corpse Compiler No. 1!”
--Philip Greene, author of To Have and Have Another: A Hemingway Cocktail Companion and co-founder of The Museum of the American Cocktail

About the Author

David J. Montgomery mixes his love of history and alcohol into one potent concoction through his work at ProfessorCocktail.com. He is also a nationally renowned book critic and commentator on writing and the publishing industry. Mr. Montgomery is an emeritus columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times and The Daily Beast, and has written for USA Today, The Washington Post, Philadelphia Inquirer, and other fine publications. His short fiction has appeared both online and in print. A former Professor of History, he lives in the Washington, D.C. suburbs with his wife and two daughters.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-09 08:08 am   Permalink

Congrats, will download asap!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-09 08:19 am   Permalink

Thanks!

I think there's a lot of fun stuff in there. Especially for Tiki-philes, of course.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Primativa in Hi-Fi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-09 10:18 am   Permalink

Just downloaded and skimmed it.

Great work, David! And yeah, these recipes should keep me busy for a while!

Brainwashed Rum huh, Martin? Crazy stuff!

Cheers!

View Profile of Primativa in Hi-Fi Send a personal message to Primativa in Hi-Fi  Email Primativa in Hi-Fi Goto the website of Primativa in Hi-Fi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-09 12:02 pm   Permalink

I know, that recipe is insane. As I was typing it up, I kept going, "Really?"

El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-09 7:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-30 09:16, Hale Tiki wrote:
I'm printing this out and having it spiral bound when it comes out!

Hale,

Please let me know if you were able to do this. I bought the book and it was downloaded to my Kindle account. I can't seem to find any print options.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-09 7:21 pm   Permalink

Just downloaded and digging into it now. Drinking Zombies on a school night? Why not?!!

Congratulations!

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-09 8:57 pm   Permalink

Read Zombie Horde cover to cover, was intrigued by several recipes. . . and aghast at several others although I appreciate the historic importance of including the turds alongside the gems. Currently thoroughly enjoying a Martin Cate Undead Gentleman made with LH151 and Appleton 12. I am a fan of the Captain's Blood cocktail and this tastes like a Captain's Blood on steroids.

I think one of the tequila variations is up next.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-09 9:23 pm   Permalink

Zombie nightcap tonight is the PKNY Reposado Zombie with Corralejo Reposado, Lucid Absinthe and a 1/4 oz LH151 float. Very appealing flavor combination but the full oz of absinthe overpowers the remaining components. Will definitely come back to this one but will knock the absinthe back to 1/2 oz, and will possibly double the float as well.

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-09 11:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-09 19:21, El Jefe wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-09-30 09:16, Hale Tiki wrote:
I'm printing this out and having it spiral bound when it comes out!

Hale,

Please let me know if you were able to do this. I bought the book and it was downloaded to my Kindle account. I can't seem to find any print options.

Ditto.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-10 07:49 am   Permalink

Thanks so much, guys, for buying the book and for saying nice things. It really means a lot to me.

I debated whether or not to include the shitty recipes. But I thought they might be of interest, out of historical curiosity if nothing else. Plus, they add to the "horror" aspect of Zombies. I tried to indicate which ones I thought weren't very good, so hopefully that comes across.

If any of you would like to help spread the gospel of Tiki (in the form of the Zombie), I hope you'll consider posting a review on Amazon. That really helps drive the prominence of the listing, so more people can find the book. Also, I just know you'll want to tell your friends...

Thanks again, Brothers and Sisters of Tiki!

djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-10 07:52 am   Permalink

There is no simple way to print out a Kindle book.

I found a blog post that discusses ways of doing it:

http://www.mywritingblog.com/2012/11/how-to-print-out-kindle-book.html

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-10 10:40 am   Permalink

David - Congrats on your book! I'll download it tonight. Now get to work on your Mai Tai book.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-10 11:18 am   Permalink

Ariano -- you'll definitely want to read it, since I thank you specifically in the acknowledgements.

As for the rest of you, here's the first paragraph of the acks:

"First off, I need to thank the regulars on the Tiki Central message board (Tikiroom.com) whose posts first gave me the idea for this book. In particular, I'd like to thank Arian Collins for sharing some recipes from his private collection."

Thanks guys and gals!

El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-10 3:26 pm   Permalink

dj,

What was the reason for leaving out one of Don's versions? I think you said it was the 1964? Just curious. Thanks.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation