FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » New ebook -- Professor Cocktail’s Zombie Horde: Recipes for the World’s Most Lethal Drink
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
New ebook -- Professor Cocktail’s Zombie Horde: Recipes for the World’s Most Lethal Drink
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-10 3:46 pm   Permalink

Yeah, the Aku Aku Zombie from 1964, which is generally believed to have been created by Don the Beachcomber.

When I was putting the book together, I made a special effort not to draw too much from Jeff Berry's work. There were a few recipes that had to be included -- recipes that Jeff worked so hard to uncover. But I didn't want to tread on his heels and borrow more from his books than fair use would allow.

I'm pleased to say that Jeff reviewed the manuscript before it was published and gave it his blessing and endorsement, both of which meant a lot to me. The book wouldn't have been possible without his original research and I owe him a great debt.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-10 4:00 pm   Permalink

Cool. Thanks for the info.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-10 5:03 pm   Permalink

And the Aku Aku Zombie is an absolutely spectacular drink. Hits all the notes of the 1934 and is perfectly balanced but without the danger level of alcohol of the original. If I ran a commercial establishment I would probably serve the Aku as my Zombie just to keep patrons from getting too sloshed too quickly.

I was surprised how many Zombie versions in the book include papaya juice. Until I pick some up there are a lot of versions I'm not able to spin up.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-10 8:08 pm   Permalink

Working through a W.C. Whitfield Zombie (1941). Used Smith&Cross, Flor de Cana 4 dark, Cruzan white, ED 5 and Lemon Hart 151 as the rums. The whole is not as good as the sum of it's parts would suggest. Not undrinkable, but not much going on other than a big slug of rum and some juice and apricot brandy.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-10 9:33 pm   Permalink

Zombie Nightcap is the Tonga Room Zombie (1952). "Serviceable but hardly outstanding" about sums this one up. Similar to the Whittfield, and similarly ho-hum.

David, the recipe calls for 1oz passionfruit. I assumed this meant juice and nit syrup, but perhaps I was mistaken?

djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-11 07:00 am   Permalink

Sunny, as I recall the original recipe as printed didn't specify. I, too, assumed it meant juice. I think a full ounce of syrup would overwhelm it.

I've been under the weather, so I made the Hot Zombie last night. (It's basically a Zombified twist on the Hot Buttered Rum.) It's an interesting drink, although I'm not sure I prefer it to a plain old Hot Buttered Rum.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-11 07:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-10 17:03, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
I was surprised how many Zombie versions in the book include papaya juice. Until I pick some up there are a lot of versions I'm not able to spin up.

I know, it's crazy. Who drinks papaya juice? Lakewood Juices sells one. It's blended with apple juice, but straight papaya seems hard to find.

djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-11 10:45 am   Permalink

If you're on the fence about buying the book, maybe this will help.

I just announced a contest to give away a Zombie Prize Pack, courtesy of B.G. Reynolds' syrups.

http://www.professorcocktail.com/2013/10/win-a-zombie-gift-pack.html

(Sorry, but U.S. residents only.)

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-11 2:29 pm   Permalink

Cool! I wi send my Amazon receipt when I get a chance.

GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-13 09:21 am   Permalink

Just added this to my Kindle. Fascinating book! The historical anecdotes are great. And . . . it lays flat on my bar while I mix up one of the recipes!

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-14 07:11 am   Permalink

I often mix drinks with recipes off my iPad. Except for the fear of spilling rum all over it, it works well.

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-14 09:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-10 11:18, djmont wrote:
Ariano -- you'll definitely want to read it, since I thank you specifically in the acknowledgements.

As for the rest of you, here's the first paragraph of the acks:

"First off, I need to thank the regulars on the Tiki Central message board (Tikiroom.com) whose posts first gave me the idea for this book. In particular, I'd like to thank Arian Collins for sharing some recipes from his private collection."

Thanks guys and gals!

Wow! That's very cool, and very unexpected. Thanks! I just downloaded it this weekend, but have only had a chance to skim it so far. It looks great!

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-29 7:35 pm   Permalink

Just made the "Frankie's Tiki Room Zombie", the first of many variations in this book, and it was excellent. Pineapple juice(!) is dominant, which I usually don't like, but it works here

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-31 10:33 am   Permalink

Pineapple juice made its first appearance in Patrick Gavin Duffy's version in 1940, and was a regular component after that, including Don the Beachcomber's mid-century recipes. It makes for a very different drink from the DTB original. But since I like pineapple, it's all good with me.

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-31 11:20 am   Permalink

Thirsty Tiki People Want to know. . . David, did you draw a winner for the BG Reynolds giveaway contest yet?!?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation