FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » New ebook -- Professor Cocktail’s Zombie Horde: Recipes for the World’s Most Lethal Drink
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
New ebook -- Professor Cocktail’s Zombie Horde: Recipes for the World’s Most Lethal Drink
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-04 06:08 am   Permalink

Thanks djmont and Sunny&Rummy, good info. I have used the white bottled grapefruit juice in the past and, just like orange juice, it's pasteurized and takes on a weird flavor and texture - even more so if it's made from concentrate. I will have to find some fresh white grapefruit and compare side-by-side with pink grapefruit juice. It seems now that I will also find pink is sweeter as others have reported. As to how pink juice muddies up a drink color, that's a very good point. Can't remember drink recipes having a whole lot of grapefruit juice though, so maybe that's only a big concern for grapefruit-centric recipes.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-04 06:16 am   Permalink

By the way, I mentioned elsewhere a few weeks (months?) ago that I freeze my fresh-squeezed juices from my trees so that I can have them during the off-season. I haven't really noticed a change in flavor due to freezing. The whole freezing thing has lead to me having acquired quite a collection of ice cube trays now - silicone, plastic, big spheres, small cubes, big cubes, etc.

You just can't beat fresh-squeezed juice from tree-ripened fruit!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-04 10:14 am   Permalink

Speaking of chimney glasses, does anyone have a good source for buying a proper one? Like, can you find them at Ikea or something? My vintage supply (courtesy of my parents) is now gone.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-04 10:16 am   Permalink

I have some Libbey ones that are good. I think I ordered them from Amazon.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-04 12:06 pm   Permalink

Don't overlook your local Cost Plus / World Market store. They sometimes have a surprising selection of glassware in their bar supplies area.

Also, don't overlook places like Ross, TJ Maxx, and Marshall's who also carry odd assortments of glassware, often from the same manufacturers. (I once came out of Ross with two huge glass beer boots - those are great fun to show up with at friends parties!)

And here's another interesting tidbit -- TJ Maxx and Marshall's have seasonally been carrying specialty bar tools and supplies at deeply discounted prices. So don't overlook the bar supply areas in these discount stores - it can be quite an adventure. There is some mixology gold to be found in these places on occasion. Start looking at the end of winter and early spring for the new stuff, but they seem to have things of interest year-round. My experience has been that your chances are pretty good that you'll get the first pick of some great stuff. The typical shoppers at these stores are not the sophisticated savages that we all are.

Rum Balls
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-04 1:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I need to post the winner's name on the website. He's been notified, but I'm not sure if he's on here or not. It was Paul Pimentel of Portland, Oregon.

Ack, I've been outed!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-04 1:42 pm   Permalink

You've been a member since 2004! Your liver must be shot by now.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-04 1:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-04 13:07, Rum Balls wrote:
Quote:
I need to post the winner's name on the website. He's been notified, but I'm not sure if he's on here or not. It was Paul Pimentel of Portland, Oregon.

Ack, I've been outed!

Congrats Rum Balls!

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-04 4:24 pm   Permalink

I've always wondered about this and pretty much stopped buying OJ after i read this article. I'm sure it applies to bottled grapefruit juice too.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/secret-ingredient-your-orange-juice/

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-04 6:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-04 16:24, swizzle wrote:
I've always wondered about this and pretty much stopped buying OJ after i read this article. I'm sure it applies to bottled grapefruit juice too.

WTF.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-05 05:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-04 16:24, swizzle wrote:

Holy carp, Batman! That article makes a lot of sense. But it's not only the flavor that I have trouble with -- it's the color and texture of the store-bought stuff. Real orange juice is fairly transparent and nicely colored when you spill it. The store-bought stuff seems to have a milky-white base to it which looks entirely different from fresh home-squeezed juice if you compare spills side-by-side.

On top of that, there is a large "flavor factory" here in my city which manufactures and sells esters to food producers. Some of these esters are purchased by our local rum producer/importer/bottler - one of the largest rum sellers in the world. They also use esters to flavor- and smell-enhance some or all of their products. This seems to be a dirty little secret which we, the consumer, are not really aware of.

Thanks for posting that link. I remain committed to squeezing my own fresh stuff whenever possible.

Corie

Posted: 2013-11-08 5:27 pm   Permalink

I just wanted to say I love the book! I ordered some Lemon Hart online and I can't wait for it to get here so I can try some recipes.

On a side note, I was surprised to see the post about Amestoy's on your page! I am from Bakersfield and its still a great dive.

View Profile of Corie Send a personal message to Corie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-09 06:18 am   Permalink

Thanks, Corie! I appreciate that.

I lived in Bakersfield for over 20 years. Graduated from Highland and CSUB. I also taught at Bakersfield College for 6 years or so.

Enjoy those Zombies!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-11 01:50 am   Permalink

Hey! Plants, me thinks.....but nothing in the rules about that...damn....
OK welcome to TC new...plants.....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-11 05:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-04 05:59, djmont wrote:
I've never compared them -- we pretty much have to resort to the bottled stuff here -- but I think the complaints are the additional sweetness in the pink and the fact that the color muddies up the drink.

I find that, for me, the citrus in a cocktail can easily overpower everything else. I don't know if my palate is more sensitive to the acidity and/or bitterness, or whether I don't just care for it, or what. So I usually cut back on the citrus in any drink I make. I use 3/4 oz. in Mai Tais, Daiquiris, Margaritas, etc.

Don's original Zombie recipe only has 1/3 oz. of grapefruit juice in it, but if I'm mixing completely from scratch, I'll go 1/4 oz. grapefruit and 1/4 oz. cinnamon syrup. I find that you still get that bitterness the grapefruit brings, but you don't taste too much of it.

Downloaded the book from Amazon last week. Congratulations. Terrific work, a good read, and we feel like kids in the candy shop of Zombies! Now we're just trying to figure out what kind of a schedule to work through them all! Probably 2-4 a weekend will keep us busy for quite awhile.

If you have a Harris Teeter near by, they have a very good small batch, fresh squeezed, not processed or made shelf stable, pink grapefruit juice. They even have it in pint sized containers. It is a very good option. Almost as good as squeezing it yourself, and far better than any of the processed big name products. It has a short self life, but that that's to be expected for a product like this. It is a great add for Zombies and Navy Grogs.

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation