FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What's your latest rum purchase?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
What's your latest rum purchase?
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-27 8:06 pm   Permalink

Picked up the Canne, Amber, and Vieux from Habitacion (Martinique Agricole) after a little tasting at Don the Beachcomber's International Tiki Marketplace.

View Profile of KrakenHunterSteve Send a personal message to KrakenHunterSteve  Email KrakenHunterSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 05:26 am   Permalink

Just back from the Miami Rum Fest. Picked up two bottles of Bayou Rum.

Tasty stuff. Young company, still working out distribution deals, not widely available yet but coming soon to a liquor/package store near you!

Ohh, sorry about that. Lets edit this and use a smaller picture....

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2014-04-28 05:27 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 09:39 am   Permalink

Recently purchased, among many other goodies: Koloa Dark, Koloa Coconut, Coruba Dark, Cruzan Light, Clement VSOP, and Lemon Hart 151.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiwattowner
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-28 5:51 pm   Permalink

I've been looking for that El Dorado 151 for years. Can't believe I finally stumbled on it.

View Profile of hiwattowner Send a personal message to hiwattowner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-04 1:24 pm   Permalink

I don't want to derail this rum thread but . . . regarding Carpano Antica, I keep it in the refrigerator for months with no spoilage. I also take extra care to spray a few puffs of inert gas wine preserver into it before resealing the bottle and I don't leave it sitting out long enough for it to reach room temperature. I do this for all my vermouths and sherries. Also, if Carpano Antica is too expensive or difficult to store try Punt e Mes as an alternative. Both are full bodied Italian vermouths a step above the usual Martini & Rossi. My favorite Manhattan uses a spicy rye whiskey and Punt e Mes.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-05-04 2:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-28 17:51, hiwattowner wrote:[/]

The big news in that pic wasn't El Dorado 21?!

Quote:

[i]On 2014-05-04 13:24, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
I don't want to derail this rum thread but . . . regarding Carpano Antica, I keep it in the refrigerator for months with no spoilage

Derailment to talk about other booze is ok in my book (as long as you still to the 'flavoursome' stuff, no vodka). I've posted scotch & vermouth so far!

I got the C.Antica specifically because is half bottle would fit in my fridge & I had it in bars before, good to know it doesn't spoil easily. Thanks TropicalDrinkBoy

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-05 07:27 am   Permalink

By the way, does anyone have a source for the 1909 Bacardi? Guess it was a limited run

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Merlino

Posted: 2014-05-05 1:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-04 13:24, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
I don't want to derail this rum thread but . . . regarding Carpano Antica, I keep it in the refrigerator for months with no spoilage. I also take extra care to spray a few puffs of inert gas wine preserver into it before resealing the bottle and I don't leave it sitting out long enough for it to reach room temperature. I do this for all my vermouths and sherries. Also, if Carpano Antica is too expensive or difficult to store try Punt e Mes as an alternative. Both are full bodied Italian vermouths a step above the usual Martini & Rossi. My favorite Manhattan uses a spicy rye whiskey and Punt e Mes.

Problem is, I just don't use it all that much: I drink manhattans relatively sparingly and the price is such that most bottles of good rum (Appleton 12, El Dorado 12, LH151 to name a few) are cheaper than Carpano Antica around here.

But I do buy exactly your suggestion instead. I should give the inert gas a try, though.

View Profile of Merlino Send a personal message to Merlino      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiwattowner
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-05 2:14 pm   Permalink

On the Carpano Antica, I once asked the bar manager (Gertsen) at Drink in Boston what to do. (Drink's a well-known cocktail bar in Boston.). He suggested that you could split the bottle into the smaller Schweppes tonic bottles (10 oz) and then refrigerate the lot. The theory being was as you opened those in sequence the older bottles would have less oxygenation from not be opened / closed. I never gave that a go, but it could be worth trying.

Downside is you'll have people wondering what the hell went wrong with your tonic to make it turn colors...

View Profile of hiwattowner Send a personal message to hiwattowner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-08 8:51 pm   Permalink

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2014-05-09 11:54 am   Permalink

hang10tiki: hmmm, vanilla

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
treizeplus

Posted: 2014-05-15 12:24 pm   Permalink

Found a bottle of Depaz sitting on the shelf, had to pick it up. The only blue cane agricole I can get in TX until the Rhum Clement Canne Blue comes out.

[ This Message was edited by: treizeplus 2014-05-15 12:26 ]

View Profile of treizeplus Send a personal message to treizeplus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2014-05-16 1:25 pm   Permalink

Out with the old... In with the new

AdOrAdam

Posted: 2014-06-06 10:45 am   Permalink

Second best delivery of the week!

For the long time I have been frugal, only brought a few things on offer & drank some of my existing bottles dry waiting for this day to come...

I scanned the internet for the site that had all I wanted (i used the German website MA-WINE.com)
I carefully calculated the best way to be make the most of the price differences.
I factored in possible customs fees to ship from Germany to the UK.
I selected a few bottles that weren't available in the UK anymore

2x LH151, Pussers Blue Label, Plantation Overproof, Bacardi 151, 2x Appleton 12, LH80, El Dorado 5, Cockspur 12, 2x Brugal Blanco!

If you have got what you wanted & not paid the widely available price, I consider it a saving. Through ordering from abroad, this lil' haul was 30% / 150 / $250 off!

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-06 11:12 am   Permalink

Score! Well everything except the Bacardi 151 anyway. . .

Let me know wnat you think of the Cockspur 12 once you've had a chance to sip it neat. It is a long-time favorite of mine.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation