FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What's your latest rum purchase?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
What's your latest rum purchase?
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2014-07-09 2:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-09 14:20, djmont wrote:
Got a bottle of Skipper Demerara Rum, which I'd never seen before. And a few more bottles of Lemon Hart 151, to see me through the lean times.

Wow! Where did you get the Skipper Demerara Rum and how does it compare to Lemon Hart & El Dorado?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-10 08:14 am   Permalink

Got it at HiTime. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know when I do.

I also got a bottle of Plantation Original Dark. I'm a sucker for those Pierre Ferrand rums.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-11 1:44 pm   Permalink

A little surprise to brighten up my Friday afternoon:

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-11 1:48 pm   Permalink

David, with all the bottles on display in the background, it shouldn't take too much to brighten up *any* afternoon!

Cheers!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-11 1:51 pm   Permalink

Ha! True, there is rather a lot of it down there.

Miss Kitty Baby

Posted: 2014-07-14 10:52 am   Permalink

Hello friends! I have a question about Fair Trade Rum. Is anyone choosing to specifically use it? If so, what brands? Distribution sources? Normally I like rums that are just delicious. However, I am hosting a small Tiki party that I've ensured guests would be 'Culturally Respectful'. This is not implying that a general tiki party is disrespectful. Many folks in the group who have been invited have a heightened sense of awareness and discussion around cultural appropriation, systematic racism, and in particular the controversy surrounding the public disrespect of the Kara Walker art exhibit in NY. In order to make every one feel comfortable, I wanted to let my guests know that I had thought this through. While I will drink rum that's not fair trade, I thought that saying we would use it for this party would be a respectful gesture to acknowledge that we understand the dark histories of the rum and sugar trades. I made this claim before I sourced fair trade rums. I assumed, like coffee, it would be easy to find. If I can't find options, I may have to just resort to locally sourced. At least then I will know a part of it's production by speaking to a distiller directly. Do any wise rum drinkers have any input? Am I in the "wrong forum" on Tiki Central to talk about this?

View Profile of Miss Kitty Baby Send a personal message to Miss Kitty Baby  Email Miss Kitty Baby Goto the website of Miss Kitty Baby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-14 11:28 am   Permalink

Welcome to Tiki Central Kitty Baby. I am no expert but was bored at work so I did a little internet research
Looks like Papagayo Rums are organic and Fair Trade - available in silver, gold, and dark. Looks like Total Wine & More carries them with stores near you in Belleview, Tukwila, and Lynnwood.
I don't know anything about them but unless your guests are rum connoisseurs they should be just fine. Can't be much worse than the Bacardi, Parrot Bay, and Captain Morgan commonly served.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Miss Kitty Baby

Posted: 2014-07-14 12:24 pm   Permalink

Thank you MadDogMike. I am aware of Papagayo, but not of it's quality or deliciousness. Even if the folks at my party aren't rum drinkers regularly, I won't feed them cheap swill! I will try Total Wine for a source. At least then I can stand by my word. I might also throw in some locally distilled options for folks to try as well.
To your knowledge, is Fair Trade a topic that ever comes up with the Tiki crowd?

View Profile of Miss Kitty Baby Send a personal message to Miss Kitty Baby  Email Miss Kitty Baby Goto the website of Miss Kitty Baby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-14 1:44 pm   Permalink

Kitty, if it's labeled as "organic" I can't imagine it will be cheap! Whether or not it is swill will be a matter of debate.
I don't see or hear much "fair trade" discussion in the Tiki community. Not really many "commodities" of interest that would have free trade alternatives. There is a sizable group interested in organic, non-GMO, and non-HFCS. But organic rum seems like a bit of an oxymoron... pesticide free but could be used as a pesticide

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Miss Kitty Baby

Posted: 2014-07-14 2:12 pm   Permalink

MadDogMike, ah yes...organic is not cheap. For a laundry list of reasons. And while it's a healthy alternative (even if liver killing in the long run ), I'm more interested in the Fair Trade aspect. Meaning that the workers growing and harvesting all of the ingredients are fairly compensated. Personally, I hope they have decent working conditions as well. Far removed from the slave/sugar industry of centuries past. To add another oxymoron: socially responsible liquor consumption.

AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-14 3:27 pm   Permalink

I likewise googled Fair Trade rum & didn't come up with much except Papagayo. I think the rum / spirits world is less concerned with its sources of raw material - although I buy fair trade products, the 'fair tradeness' of rum hadn't hit my radar.

There are some unadulterated rums out there (like the Mezan range of rums) (if you're interested)

I would think a fairtrade rum would have to be pushed hard to have its voice heard above the rest of the rum market, there are brands popping up all the time that I don't always pay attention to until I get a solid recommendation to try. I name check Mezan above because, although I have heard of them & know what they do, I've not tried any of their products.

If companies are large enough to be stock exchange listed, they will probably release ethical statements, I googled 'wray & nephews ethical statement' & found some stuff that you could enjoy reading.

Interesting question!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-14 4:49 pm   Permalink

If you're interested in Fair Trade spirits, buy FAIR: http://www.fairspirits.com

If you're interested in good rum, buy good rum.

If you want to make a purchase that will help poor people, buy Rhum Barbancourt. Haiti can certainly use the business. Excellent rum, too.

As for Tiki in general... It's all made up anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 8:45 pm   Permalink

We'll I didn't intentionally get that much 151, it just king of happened:

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-20 7:00 pm   Permalink

Found these in the Caribbean. Surprisingly tough to find good rums. Even at Bitter End, one of the worlds top yacht clubs, best you could get was Mount Gay. I saw more than one group pick up Malibu and Captain Morgan. I guess even rich people suck at rum.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-20 10:10 pm   Permalink

Went on a little bit of a spree recently...

View Profile of KrakenHunterSteve Send a personal message to KrakenHunterSteve  Email KrakenHunterSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation