FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What's your latest rum purchase?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
What's your latest rum purchase?
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 07:20 am   Permalink

Picked up a bottle of Denizen Co Merchant Reserve Rum, a combo of Jamaican pot still and Martinique rums, which I've read is an attempt to recreate the original rums Trader Vic called for in his Mai Tai, which of course was the first drink I made. Very good results - has anyone else tried this, and in what drinks?

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-21 08:52 am   Permalink

I got lucky Googling and dialing this morning.

St. James Royal Ambre Extra Old.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 09:43 am   Permalink

That Denizen Rum looks really interesting! Don't see it available here, but I'm planning a visit to Chicago in September and I see Binny's has it so I might need to get a bottle while I'm up there.

As for other cocktails to try it out in I'd give a Three Dots and a Dash a spin. The recipe calls for Martinique and Demerara but it would probably also work well with Jamaican in the mix.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 10:04 am   Permalink

The Binny's in Elmwood Pk/North Ave has 'em on the shelf!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 10:26 am   Permalink

HiTime and DrinkUpNY have it, too. Definitely need to try it out.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-25 11:18 am   Permalink

As I mentioned I was doing a couple days ago, here's what I found on my doorstep last night when I got home from work.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-25 5:37 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Keaka-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-29 3:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-27 21:27, djmont wrote:
Quote:

Phraya. . .

http://www.phrayarum.com

That's it. Anyone try it?

I know I'm a little late to the party on this but I've now gone through quite a bit of the phraya and I'm genuinely impressed. I was leery as I've never tried a Thai rum before so I had no idea what to expect. It has a sweetness that was immediately apparent quickly followed by a fantastic vanilla bean flavor. The closest I can think of is the taste of sailor Jerry without the spice. It has a satisfying burn and finishes clean with just a little after taste of that same vanilla. I know in my experience at least that my gal was awfully happy to kiss me after the third glass!

View Profile of Keaka-tiki Send a personal message to Keaka-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mcmtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-29 4:18 pm   Permalink

I'd like to hear more about Denizen Merchant's Reserve in a Mai Tai. Ordering online will cost me about $44 with shipping and no one seems to have it in store in L.A. If it get's an "A" grade I'm up for the purchase. Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: mcmtiki 2014-07-29 16:19 ]

View Profile of mcmtiki Send a personal message to mcmtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-29 5:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-29 15:58, Keaka-tiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-09-27 21:27, djmont wrote:
Quote:

Phraya. . .

http://www.phrayarum.com

That's it. Anyone try it?

I know I'm a little late to the party on this but I've now gone through quite a bit of the phraya and I'm genuinely impressed. I was leery as I've never tried a Thai rum before so I had no idea what to expect. It has a sweetness that was immediately apparent quickly followed by a fantastic vanilla bean flavor. The closest I can think of is the taste of sailor Jerry without the spice. It has a satisfying burn and finishes clean with just a little after taste of that same vanilla. I know in my experience at least that my gal was awfully happy to kiss me after the third glass!

Keaka, your discription has me thinking about the no longer available Pyrat Pistol which made for a very tasty Mai Tai. Where are you buying yours ? Im in SoCal. I checked out their website-interesting bottle.
Mahalo

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-29 6:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-29 16:18, mcmtiki wrote:
I'd like to hear more about Denizen Merchant's Reserve in a Mai Tai. Ordering online will cost me about $44 with shipping and no one seems to have it in store in L.A. If it get's an "A" grade I'm up for the purchase. Thanks.

Looks like hi-Time has it.

I'd say: go for it.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-30 08:35 am   Permalink

RE: Denizens,I'd say it's funkier than Appleton V/X, but not as funky as say, Smith & Cross(the mix of Jamaican and Martinique tempers it somewhat) It worked great in an original Mai Tai; I'm eager to try it in other drinks, like a Jasper's Jamaican, or even a simple daiquiri

Wichita Lime Man
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-30 10:49 am   Permalink

FedEx delivered two bottles of LH151 yesterday from the good folks at DrinkUpNY. These bottles were originally shipped in June but nobody was home to receive them, so they went back (we had a good excuse - we were at the Hukilau). I finally got around to having them re-shipped last week and they made it safe & sound.

DrinkUpNY still shows LH151 as in-stock on their website as of a few minutes ago.

View Profile of Wichita Lime Man Send a personal message to Wichita Lime Man      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-31 11:52 pm   Permalink

Im partial to Bajan rums so I bought a bottle of Kaniche XO at Total Wine ($30) in Brea. They did not have the Phraya rum (Thailand,$40) that Keaka referenced and I was not walking out empty handed. Tried it neat-it was okay.
Let it sit a minute and then added about 1/2 of an ice cube. I really enjoyed it. Gonna try it in a Mai Tai tomorrow.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-01 07:26 am   Permalink

Kaniche is made by the Pierre Ferrand folks (same as Plantation), so I have high expectations for it. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I haven't seen it around yet.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation