FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » What's your latest rum purchase?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
What's your latest rum purchase?
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-02 10:21 am   Permalink

trying a bottle of that Bacardi Heritage white rum. 89 proof.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-02 10:29 am   Permalink

I just got a bottle of this, too. How is it?

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-02 10:54 am   Permalink

smoother than regular bacardi in cocktails (so far had daiquiri, and cuba libre) altho not much flavor added, disappears a bit.

more robust-flavored neat, bit too harsh though neat.

a fun product to try, but so far not one that ranks with my favorite white rums.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-02 10:55 am   Permalink

and who knows- it may well taste like the 1908 product. i'd guess there were fewer aged rums back then compared with today...

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-02 11:48 am   Permalink

Managed to score a bottle of LH151!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-09 8:08 pm   Permalink

Clement Premiere Canne (white agricole). it's a bit.. harsh.

KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-09 8:49 pm   Permalink

Just picked up Denizen 8 - supposed to be formulated like the old J Wray and Nephew 17. This one really picks up the essence of the Jamaican Pot Still, like Smith & Cross.

View Profile of KrakenHunterSteve Send a personal message to KrakenHunterSteve  Email KrakenHunterSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-10 08:01 am   Permalink

I didn't actually purchase it - I bought a condo and my realtor gave it to me as a move-in gift: a bottle of Brugal 1888. Haven't cracked it yet.

KrakenHunterSteve: who made that cannibal mug? I really like it.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-10 12:39 pm   Permalink

The cannibal mug was from this years Hukilau event (I didn't go), and they may still have some available on their website.

View Profile of KrakenHunterSteve Send a personal message to KrakenHunterSteve  Email KrakenHunterSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mcmtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-10 1:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-09 20:49, KrakenHunterSteve wrote:
Just picked up Denizen 8 - supposed to be formulated like the old J Wray and Nephew 17. This one really picks up the essence of the Jamaican Pot Still, like Smith & Cross.

Just picked this up as well. As I understand, no need to mix this rum with another rum for a classic Vic's Mai Tai as it is blended to mimic Wray & Nephew 17 Yr Old -- correct?

View Profile of mcmtiki Send a personal message to mcmtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-10 5:19 pm   Permalink

That's what I understand, that the Denizen 8 is supposed to be similar to Trader Vic's original rum choice for the Mai Tai. I'm having my second one tonight, and I'm still not sure about it. I feel like the flavor is too light, and while the first sip is nice, the rum starts to disappear behind the other flavors. I don't really want to start tweaking my recipe again just for one rum, but my current recipe is designed to stand up against rums like Coruba and Clement, and that may be the problem.

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-10 5:53 pm   Permalink

I prefer a dry MaiTai with the lime/orgeat/curacao cut back, and that's with ordinary rums.

I can't imagine that a 17-y.o. rum could have ever shined through the proportions of the original recipe.

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-10 9:24 pm   Permalink

Kirk and Sweeny. I like it neat but its the rum used in the “Rum Babalu”at Tommy Bahama, Newport Beach.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-12 4:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-10 17:53, thePorpoise wrote:
I can't imagine that a 17-y.o. rum could have ever shined through the proportions of the original recipe.

The J Wray 17 would have been bottled at the turn of the century, and I'm sure technique and quality has been refined over the years. Since the current recipes call for a mix of funky Jamaican and hojo Martinique, I would imagine this wasn't as smooth a rum by today's standards.

That being said, I do cut down the lime considerably in my version and sometimes I prefer a more pungent rhum, like La Favorite, over Clement VSOP.

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-12 7:31 pm   Permalink

I wouldnt call the Appleton Estate Extra 12-yo "funky" by any stretch, it's a sipper for sure.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation