FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What's your latest rum purchase?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
What's your latest rum purchase?
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-12 8:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-12 19:31, thePorpoise wrote:
I wouldnt call the Appleton Estate Extra 12-yo "funky" by any stretch, it's a sipper for sure.

Smoothed to the point of wonderfulness by the time in wood, but there are still unmistakable Jamaican pot still notes so I think sophisticated funk is fair.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-13 07:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-12 20:28, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
Quote:

On 2014-08-12 19:31, thePorpoise wrote:
I wouldnt call the Appleton Estate Extra 12-yo "funky" by any stretch, it's a sipper for sure.

Smoothed to the point of wonderfulness by the time in wood, but there are still unmistakable Jamaican pot still notes so I think sophisticated funk is fair.

Appleton 12 would have been distilled in this same century. Go back a hundred years and they were probably still using goat heads in the dunder pits.

View Profile of KrakenHunterSteve Send a personal message to KrakenHunterSteve  Email KrakenHunterSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-13 10:58 am   Permalink

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-16 10:07 am   Permalink

bought a bottle of Olo Silver Rum-- "premium Brazilian rum in the style of cachaca"

not bad- bit sweet, very smooth, only hints at an agricole funkiness though. still looking for a french-style clear rum that is good, cant find barbancourt white anywhere to sample...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mcmtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-16 10:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-10 17:19, KrakenHunterSteve wrote:
That's what I understand, that the Denizen 8 is supposed to be similar to Trader Vic's original rum choice for the Mai Tai. I'm having my second one tonight, and I'm still not sure about it. I feel like the flavor is too light, and while the first sip is nice, the rum starts to disappear behind the other flavors. I don't really want to start tweaking my recipe again just for one rum, but my current recipe is designed to stand up against rums like Coruba and Clement, and that may be the problem.

I'm finding the Denizen 8 a tad on the sweet side.

View Profile of mcmtiki Send a personal message to mcmtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-16 4:35 pm   Permalink

the day is mine, Trebek! found Barbancourt white-- a nice buttery but funky taste, a pleasant middle ground between the harsh Clement agricole white and the sweet brazilian sugarcane rum...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-17 7:25 pm   Permalink

After a nice Rum Tasting Seminar with Martin Cate of Smuggler's Cove, I have learned a little bit more about Denizen 8 and Trader Vic's Mai Tai. Denizen 8 isn't supposed to replace the J Wray 17, it is supposed to be an approximation of the J Wray 15/Martinique blend used after the 17 year had run out. Most of the descriptions used to describe the Martinique Rhum didn't fit with our current understanding of the Agricole flavor profile, and it turns out we had the wrong Rhum. We are supposed to be using a Molasses based Martinique Rum, not a Sugar Cane Agricole, and the Denizen 8 is modeled after this Jamaican and Molasses Martinique blend. So now I have to find a new name for the more popular Agricole Mai Tai, and develop a taste for the Denizen Mai Tai.

It was also hinted that Appleton may be working on a J Wray 17...

Also, I just picked up the Angostura No.1 Limited Edition. This was part of the tasting and was the only one I almost guessed right (it was a blind tasting). This tasstes like a perfect blending of the Vanilla Cream 1919 and the more heady 1824; a perfect balance of the two.

View Profile of KrakenHunterSteve Send a personal message to KrakenHunterSteve  Email KrakenHunterSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-17 7:44 pm   Permalink

I'll be damned, it was supposed to be a rhum industriel all this time...

i wonder if the dark jamaican/demerara combo many of us fancy is close after all...

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-17 7:51 pm   Permalink

i wonder about Donga Punch; and Three Dots and a Dash...

were they originated with agricole, or industriele...??

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-17 9:12 pm   Permalink

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-18 1:28 pm   Permalink

Was down for a quick jaunt to Key West and ran across this rum. It's 6x (!) distilled from local Florida cane juice. Pretty smooth -- possibly TOO smooth -- especially for a white, maybe not the ideal thing for when you want your rum to be crisp.

Fun tour, too.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-18 4:55 pm   Permalink

That KrakenHunterSteve is a smart guy. I also went to the Martin Cate tasting and this was my favorite rum of the 8. I noticed it at my local store and since they are not making anymore, I decided to grab the last bottle.

Hang10- where did you find the Lemonhart?

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-18 10:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-18 16:55, lunavideogames wrote:
That KrakenHunterSteve is a smart guy. I also went to the Martin Cate tasting and this was my favorite rum of the 8. I noticed it at my local store and since they are not making anymore, I decided to grab the last bottle.

You're lucky you got the last one. I took two and left three at around 5 on Sunday. I'm guessing a few other people came looking for that rum and I'm sure a few more were disappointed after. If you haven't grabbed it already, try the Plantation 1989 Reserve Trinidad. I had it at another tasting and it is truly sublime.

My guess with the Agricole/Molasses debate, we will have to do a little more research through the notes to figure out where he meant Agricole and where he wanted Molasses Martinique. I don't have the resources for this, but maybe someone else has a few menus to go over. There are only about 6 recipes in the app that require a Martinique Rhum.

[ This Message was edited by: KrakenHunterSteve 2014-08-18 22:33 ]

lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-19 7:33 pm   Permalink

Bought up the last of the St James in San Diego that I could find.

They still have Angostura No 1 in Coronado at the Orange and Ninth liquor store. 3 bottles or so. No more St James though.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-19 8:48 pm   Permalink

Aggh - you're killing me with those Angostura No. 1 photos! We shoulda gone straight from the tasting to the liquor store (but that probably would've been dangerous.)

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation