FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » What's your latest rum purchase?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
What's your latest rum purchase?
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-01-16 4:31 pm   Permalink

I use it in a Mai Tai all the time along with Appleton. But instead of 1 oz of each, I use 1.5 oz Appleton and .5 oz of Smith Cross.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-16 5:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-16 15:55, kkocka wrote:
Finally got ahold of a bottle of Smith & Cross. My only problem is that my bar at home is at full vacancy, and that I'm unsure of the "best" way to use it other than being a knockout star in a Mai Tai. I'd love some suggestions.

If you are an amaro fan, you'll probably did the Kingston Negroni. Equal parts Smith&Cross, Campari and sweet vermouth (or a bit less if using Punt e Mes as I think the recipe originally called for). Build over ice cubes in a double rocks glass, stir, enjoy.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-01-19 09:16 am   Permalink

I find Smith & Cross a bit of a strange rum (not bad, just way funky) - I thought it was pretty good in drinks where it can take centre stage. Try it in a Montego Bay

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-19 8:44 pm   Permalink

Latest purchase a couple hours ago at K&B in Del Cerro - more Diplomatico (Exclusiva), and Koloa Dark. Yum!

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-20 09:31 am   Permalink

S&C works in all kind of drinks...Jasper's Jamaican, 1/2 of a Mai Tai, Daquiri, the gold Jamaican in a Zombie(perhaps somewhat reduced/mixed 50/50 with say, Coruba) ...in fact the recipe off the back of the bottle(Millionaire?) is good. Yes it's a dominant taste, but it's a great one!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-20 09:38 am   Permalink

Bought some Kohala Bay Dark. Makes a dry Mai Tai and a mighty tasty Bora Bora!

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-21 10:23 am   Permalink

Favorite most recent purchase is ED 21 year

Normally not a fan of sipping rums as I prefer cocktails most of the time, but if one rum is going to change your opinion about sipping rums this is it

I love demerara rum, took a chance with this one and am very happy

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-21 11:03 am   Permalink

Dapuma, how much did it set you back?

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-21 11:56 am   Permalink

Found these in Florida. Tried for Koala Bay but they were out and getting more the next day. Too bad.

AceExplorer - I saw a bottle of ED 21 in FL at Sunset Liquors for $89.99. I was tempted but on vacation, so I passed.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-23 11:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-21 11:03, AceExplorer wrote:
Dapuma, how much did it set you back?

It is normally $100 but i got it on 10% off sale for $90

Most expensive rum I have ever purchased, and was somewhat apprehensive to do so...however it is worth it if you like sippers or are a big demerrara fan

I like LH LH 151 and ED 12 / 15 so i pulled the trigger on it, i would recommend getting some snifters for it if you don't have them already, crate and barrel have some nice small ones that are $5-$6

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-24 04:49 am   Permalink

Thanks, Dapuma, that's great information! I see some pricey limited production aged rums on the shelves from time to time, and I think about buying.

Great advice on the snifters, too. Sometimes when you don't want a whole cocktail, but you want some sort of "Scooby snack," a good sipping rum will scratch that itch.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-24 6:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-24 04:49, AceExplorer wrote:
Thanks, Dapuma, that's great information! I see some pricey limited production aged rums on the shelves from time to time, and I think about buying.

Great advice on the snifters, too. Sometimes when you don't want a whole cocktail, but you want some sort of "Scooby snack," a good sipping rum will scratch that itch.

Exactly, sometimes you don't have the ingredients nor do you want to create a 13 step cocktail, you just want delicious rum now - this stuff will cover that itch

My friends had purchased a few rare Agricole's sippers that we tried out and they were okay but nothing compared to this - Limited JM Rhum and something else, one I had never seen or heard of which was an impressive find but not as amazing in the glass (to me at least - quite funky and unique though - ill have to ask them to send me the bottle picture so i can track down what they were)

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-02 4:20 pm   Permalink

Today I bought Appleton V/X and Wray & Nephew. At halftime or before I'll be mixing up some mai tai's.

Thanks for all the posts of rum in this sub-forum. I'm learning a lot.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-02 5:39 pm   Permalink

W&N Overproof? dag, girl, you like a scrong mai-tai..!!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-02 6:12 pm   Permalink

Guess I'm not a "strong drink" girl! It's only "eh" in the mai tai! What else can I use it in is the question.

In my defense, the rum selections in my area (central NJ) are quite lacking. I grabbed the Wray & Nephew b/c I recognized the name from here but it wasn't my fav mai tai. I'll try it again with non-original recipe, maybe some juice (please don't throw rocks) will make the final product more palatable. But strong is right, I'm hitting the bottom and not caring that this Superbowl is horrible! LOL

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation